The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iq4 150 with technical camera (alpa) - can't find zero latency in back!!!!!!

Am I the only person that cant seem to find where the zero latency function is in the back? I have looked through every menu and the manual as well. How do I put the back in zero latency mode so I can use my alpa with it?

dchew

You are not the only one; none of us can find it because it isn't there. I suspect because the power draw and associated heat build-up would be too much, but I don't know.

You have two options:
  1. Electronic shutter, which I have used pretty much exclusively since it was released about 5 years ago on the 3100. You can't use it for recognizable moving subjects like people or cars, but I can't imagine too many people using an Alpa for those kinds of images.* I've shot in the wind, shot waves at the ocean etc, and never noticed a rolling shutter effect with natural subject movement.
  2. Use the Alpa sync cord. That works fine like it always has, just expensive. I still use mine if I need flash, but LED's are now powerful enough for most applications where the subject isn't moving.
*I visited your website. Nice images! You might be one of those "not too many people." If you want to use the Alpa for all kinds of images, you will need the sync cord.
IQ4 sync cord
Alpa sync release

Dave

Last edited:

Aviv1887

This was the biggest surprise and bummer on the release of the otherwise fantastic IQ4150. Took them months to come up with the sync cord after the launch of the DB a few years back. I was just today shooting people with the sync on an Alpa and it still is a pain to work with and one gets plenty of miss fires in the process. Not a deal-breaker though. The IQ3100 was way better and user-friendly in that department with the zero latency..

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Alpa IQ sync for IQ4 still unreliable? Darn, I've been through that in the past but just ordered the new sync cord and adapters for my Alpagon 32/90. I hoped this crap had been solved after I lost my gear (IQ260 and syncs) a long time ago. It was a bit sketchy even back then.

dchew

The version II worked really well on the IQ3 series. It's been so long since I used it, I can't remember how it worked on the IQ4, but I don't remember having an issue since the IQ180.

Dave

Caumont

And for using the following combo : Copal + Flash + Arca R Camera + IQ4-150mp

Do we need to go with the Alpa cables? Any alternative?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
And for using the following combo : Copal + Flash + Arca R Camera + IQ4-150mp

Do we need to go with the Alpa cables? Any alternative?
With Arca the cable release adapter was magnetic vs standard screw-in - you'd have to change that to a regular screw in for the Alpa adapter to fit.

Steve Hendrix

With Arca the cable release adapter was magnetic vs standard screw-in - you'd have to change that to a regular screw in for the Alpa adapter to fit.

Yes, although one could potentially use the Phase One Wake Up Solution (wake up cable + 12 pin adapter cable). It does require you to press the wake up button, but once you do, you have more time before having to fire within compared to the previous IQ1/2/3 (about 9 seconds vs the previous 4 seconds). For some, it's easier to time a capture with this method than using the one shot solutions (which can require a slightly slower press of the release).

While the Arca Swiss R mount lenses have a magnetic release port, they also has a threaded port within that as well (just not enough room to fit the Alpa One Shot solution - as Graham noted).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited: