The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 - Custom Grids

alatreille

Hi all,

I've finally found the time to upgrade my IQ4 for feature set 8.

I'm excited by the 'custom grid' option....but I can't work out how to make my perfect grid...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew

vjbelle

The custom grid is limited to 2 grids - one vertical and one horizontal. You can move either or both by hold/pressing them. They can be reset in the menu.

Victor B.

Paul2660

I missed this feature totally, and looked for it on the Phase One siee late night (waste of time), and read a few dealer blogs, and still did not see or find anything. What do the custom grids allow, or what is gained with them?

Thanks
Paul

alatreille

Thanks Victor.
Oh... that's simple....nice feature.

A pity it's limited to two lines... especially since so many people on the XT seem to be pointing at architecture...

More lines is better for us APs.

Thanks again.

A

The custom grid is limited to 2 grids - one vertical and one horizontal. You can move either or both by hold/pressing them. They can be reset in the menu.

Victor B.

Mexecutioner

I missed this feature totally, and looked for it on the Phase One siee late night (waste of time), and read a few dealer blogs, and still did not see or find anything. What do the custom grids allow, or what is gained with them?

Thanks
Paul
One "gain" is making a grid that is more to your liking and suits your needs better if the already provided ones are not sufficient.

Paul2660

Sorry to be dumb, but after watching the video, what is the advantage? The grid starts out with 4 equal sections, then with the finger, you can move them around. But what does the grid represent? And is this for non XT users, XF or other non XT tech cameras?

Thanks
Paul

Steve Hendrix

Sorry to be dumb, but after watching the video, what is the advantage? The grid starts out with 4 equal sections, then with the finger, you can move them around. But what does the grid represent? And is this for non XT users, XF or other non XT tech cameras?

Thanks
Paul

You had the ability in IQ3 to move the grid lines, this went away in IQ4, (bad!). All the grid presets are back, but also the ability to move the grids where you like, for example if you were trying to line up horizontal or vertical subject matter. I prefer the new way that you can move the grids in IQ4 vs IQ3, because it feels more seamless, being able to move both with one action.

It is available regardless of what camera is attached.

Also, someone PM'd me that they did not see a video, it is embedded in the article.

It would be great - as someone else suggested - to be able to save a custom grid position. If you would like to see this, then make the request. You have to go to www.phaseone.com and create a support case, but instead of describing what is wrong with the equipment, title the comments Feature Request, and then describe what you'd like to see. In the absence of this, they will only perhaps add features that they think of and/or the others who have made requests. Add your voice.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

alatreille

Hi all,

I've put a request with the ideas that I think would make them infinitely flexible and more powerful to the user to:
  • allow the customisable grid to have more than two lines.
  • allow the customisable grid to have diagonal lines
  • create the option to generate your own grid and save as a style or personal preference
    (ie for me it would include a 3rds grid and perhaps a diagonal or dashed centerpoint grid)
  • copy a current grid and edit it before saving as a personal favourite.
  • Maybe grids could be created in CaptureOne and pushed to the back as a style?
If any of you feel you'd like them to be more customisable, please also put in a feature request!

Cheers

Andrew

Steve Hendrix

It's been brought to my attention that the Grid Clip plays in Safari, but not in Chrome. We'll look into that. In the meantime, here is the clip.

Update: Should be resolved now.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi all,

I've put a request with the ideas that I think would make them infinitely flexible and more powerful to the user to:
  • allow the customisable grid to have more than two lines.
  • allow the customisable grid to have diagonal lines
  • create the option to generate your own grid and save as a style or personal preference
    (ie for me it would include a 3rds grid and perhaps a diagonal or dashed centerpoint grid)
  • copy a current grid and edit it before saving as a personal favourite.
  • Maybe grids could be created in CaptureOne and pushed to the back as a style?
If any of you feel you'd like them to be more customisable, please also put in a feature request!

Cheers

Andrew

Yes! Remember, it's not:

Is it a good idea?

It's:

How many think it is a good idea?

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited: