The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 with Capture One mobile app

Maxx9photo

Hello All,

I’ve recently acquired IQ4, I’m planning to get Capture One (Pro version and the mobile app). Question I have, would the mobile app which I’m planning to use on iPad allow you to tether wired or wirelessly? Coming from CFVII user with Phocus, it’s a breeze of use (wired or wireles). Thanks folks!

guphotography

No experience with mobile app, but Capture One For Phase One (same as pro, but limited to phase files only) is free, just give the back serial to Phase One for a licence.

Ray Harrison

Capture One mobile app does not yet have tethering for any Phase back, including the IQ4. That’s apparently coming in a ”few weeks”. Live view is also not yet available on the mobile app for any camera. The mobile app itself was released for the first time in June-ish last year and is still pretty basic. They’re pretty good though about getting features out the door.

For the IQ4 there’s the Cascable app. They’re a company that Phase partnered with, at least in the interim, to do tethering and live view with camera controls in the field. You can tether via ethernet (with adapters) or wirelessly, though wirelessly you’ll want to disable transferring raw files to the iPad as it’s super slow. It’s reasonably quick over ethernet. If you have transferred the raw files via Cascable, you can point Capture One for iPad to the Cascable folder and import.

Paul Spinnler

Phase has been saying for months that it will come … but clearly implementing the complex protocol of P1 backs on the mobile architecture is not a priority for them given they added almost everything under the sun except Phase backs … and it is a money thing: better to let the programmers implement something related to Sony, Canon, etc. then to have them working on making sure there is seamless tethering with Phase gear …

The app is also primitive, last time I checked it didn’t even have camera control features; it will take a long time to have the same functionality with mobile then you have with the native app…

Mexecutioner

Hello All,

I’ve recently acquired IQ4, I’m planning to get Capture One (Pro version and the mobile app). Question I have, would the mobile app which I’m planning to use on iPad allow you to tether wired or wirelessly? Coming from CFVII user with Phocus, it’s a breeze of use (wired or wireless). Thanks folks!
Welcome to the world of the IQ4 broken promises. Enjoy! Phase was never able to get Capture Pilot to work with the IQ4, so they put that chore on Cascable's lap and it is a somehwta OK implementation. Some other thing like power share were never properly implemented.

Paul Spinnler

Just saw it as well – this is fantastic news. Will try with the iPad mini. Let's see if camera control is implemented, especially also with x-shutter, etc.

Paul2660

Been waiting for this. Please pass on your impressions. Did they allow live view also or just the tethered pass through of images to the iPad.
Thanks
Paul

Maxx9photo

Been waiting for this. Please pass on your impressions. Did they allow live view also or just the tethered pass through of images to the iPad.
Thanks
Paul
As of now, the Ipad recognize the IQ4 via WIFI, but I still couldn't get live view on Ipad.

Also, I tethered up via USB -C and, worst it's not showing any connectivity at all.

kdphotography

Is there a current resource available that lists the minimum (and recommended) requirements to use the Capture One Mobile App with the IQ4150?? Which iPad? Best tethered options vs. wireless?

I've lost a lot of confidence in Phase One. There was a time when MFDB users were a priority. Maybe it's just me, but now it seems like Phase MFDB users are an afterthought. My IQ4150 works great on the XF and technical camera, but I'm hesitant to invest in features that seem to be ushered out half-heartedly. The recent changes at Phase One/Capture One :rolleyes: --- really give me pause for thought if and when the time ever comes to consider an IQ5.

Ken

Paul Spinnler

Is there a current resource available that lists the minimum (and recommended) requirements to use the Capture One Mobile App with the IQ4150?? Which iPad? Best tethered options vs. wireless?

I've lost a lot of confidence in Phase One. There was a time when MFDB users were a priority. Maybe it's just me, but now it seems like Phase MFDB users are an afterthought. My IQ4150 works great on the XF and technical camera, but I'm hesitant to invest in features that seem to be ushered out half-heartedly. The recent changes at Phase One/Capture One :rolleyes: --- really give me pause for thought if and when the time ever comes to consider an IQ5.

Ken

Because sales post-pandemic crashed in the recessionary environment and because P1 is PE-owned they focus currently on B2B where the customer value is the highest and where they can make most money. Ie drone solutions for industrial applications where it really saves one a lot of money to have an integrated solution for say crop yield forecasts. Also inspections is a huge area – ie checking out damage on power masts and oil rigs, etc.

Easier to bill 500k for a "P1 high-res inspection drone kit" to a large company with millions of turnover than selling backs to photogs who complain about the price delta to the latest Fuji / Hassy cam.

However, this said, it doesn't mean sales will not bounce back when the economy recovers and until then it is still the largest sensor for photography in the market.

Agree, though, it is overly profit-oriented to give zero feedback to the community on what may lie ahead.

Maxx9photo

Ken

Supported iPads – Capture One

Capture One for iPad is officially supported on the following devices:

• iPad Pro third generation and more recent
  • iPad eighth generation and more recent
  • iPad mini sixth generation and more recent
  • iPad Air fourth generation and more recent
Older models are not officially supported. While they may be able to run the Capture One app, we cannot guarantee the best user experience or performance.

Paul Spinnler

I can’t see my back when plugging in the USB C cable - did I miss some setting on the back or in the OS?

All firmware / software is up to date …

Paul Spinnler

Ethernet or wifi only at the moment!
Thanks, just saw it on their video reel. Ordered the adapter and a 1m cable. I think it will improve in the future and if you have an M2 ipad with mobile connection and can sync with the cloud what you shoot in the field it can be an enticing option. Would be great if live view worked, though.