The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Hasselblad massively reorganising their distribution channels?

Thyl

Triggered by a recent discussion, I had a look at Hasselblad's website and the list of dealerships. It seems that there have been changes and a significant reduction going on. Weird enough, of the three dealers in Munich, DE, we had a couple of months ago, only one is still listed, Calumet. The other two dealers however still offer Hasselblad products on their web sites. Other countries look even stranger:

Italy: only a single distributor listed, Fowa. Fowa however is a chain with about 15-20 dealers dispersed over Italy.
UK: only Digital Distribution still listed, and they do not apear to be a distributor, but merely a retailer?!
Australia, Sweden, Japan, Canada: no dealers at all
USA: merely six dealers left.

France, Spain: still a normal network of dealers.

China, otoh, now has an incredible 30 dealers, but that is probably because of DJI dealers etc.

Does Hasselblad plan to outsource the distribution channels? or do they want to focus on direct Internet sales via their online store? Strange.

TechTalk

I noticed the website problem and asked Hasselblad customer support if they were aware of the issue. They are aware and It's a glitch in the website which isn't showing the dealer listings correctly. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. I wouldn't get too excited about it or make any assumptions without contacting Hasselblad or your dealer first.

Last edited:

wattsy

UK: only Digital Distribution still listed, and they do not apear to be a distributor, but merely a retailer?!
Digital Distribution is the local distributor for Hasselblad in the UK. There are a number of retailers in the UK which still stock Hasselblad. Off the top of my head there's The Pro Centre, Wex, Linhof Studio, Robert White, Clifton Cameras, Campkins Cameras, Bass & Bligh, Wilkinson's, Park Cameras, Selfridges...

bab

I think it more a clarification of who's a Hasselblad dealer and who's a Hasselblad reseller?
Drill down more today Who is Hasselblad? What is Hasselblad? Where is Hasselblad?

TechTalk

image.jpeg
MahaNakhon, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Victor Hasselblad AB
Utvecklingsgatan 2
SE-417 56
Gothenburg
Sweden

Located in the same headquarters building in Lindholmen Science Park where they've been for the past 20 years.

Where do you want them to be?

Thyl

I noticed the website problem and asked Hasselblad customer support if they were aware of the issue. They are aware and It's a glitch in the website which isn't showing the dealer listings correctly. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. I wouldn't get too excited about it or make any assumptions without contacting Hasselblad or your dealer first.
ok, that is an interesting information. i'm not getting excited nor concerned, was just a bit surprised. But then, over at hasselbladdigitalforum, someone complained that there is no dealer in Australia right now. So, in some way, reality is reflecting changes happening on HB's website.

Thyl

View attachment 203718
MahaNakhon, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Victor Hasselblad AB
Utvecklingsgatan 2
SE-417 56
Gothenburg
Sweden

Located in the same headquarters building in Lindholmen Science Park where they've been for the past 20 years.

Where do you want them to be?
when Hasselblad moved there in 2005, they evidently were still a bigger company, as indicative of the larger Hasselblad sign on the building's front:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/hs/hsgot.aspx (last image)

but I am optimistic that with the X system, they return to previous importance.

TechTalk

when Hasselblad moved there in 2005, they evidently were still a bigger company, as indicative of the larger Hasselblad sign on the building's front:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/hs/hsgot.aspx (last image)

but I am optimistic that with the X system, they return to previous importance.
The only thing evident, and what it's indicative of, is an old factory building being renovated to be more modern and attractive with more windows added and a refresh of the exterior. Both the large sign and the solid wall of bricks behind it were removed in order to have windows in their place instead.

Look again at the old photo you linked to with the larger sign and compare it to the recent photo with the smaller relocated sign. Where the large sign and solid wall were before, there are now windows. Looking at the arrangement and number of windows in the old factory building, I suspect that the "new" windows had been bricked over at some point in the building's past and were uncovered during its renovation. But, that's just a suspicion based on the appearance of the building in the older photo to which you linked, before it had the exterior renovated and remodeled as it appears now.

Additionally, since you're interested in the building's appearance and occupancy history, Hasselblad relocated to their new space in Lindholmen Science Park in 2005. At the time, the science park was still a fairly new project undergoing major area development and renovation. Backa Teater (Theater), occupying the space next to Hasselblad in that same building, relocated to their new space in 2007. Pardon me for suggesting it, but I think you may be making unwarranted assumptions based on your sign observations.

Last edited:

TechTalk

ok, that is an interesting information. i'm not getting excited nor concerned, was just a bit surprised. But then, over at hasselbladdigitalforum, someone complained that there is no dealer in Australia right now. So, in some way, reality is reflecting changes happening on HB's website.
The dealer listings have changed for several different countries on the website. I noticed it recently and called U.S. customer service. The person I spoke with said it was a website issue which needed to be corrected. Who knows for certain? I can wait to find out.

As for Australia, I don't know. Hasselblad doesn't have direct distribution there. C.R. Kennedy has been the longtime importer and distributor there. Customers in Australia and New Zealand have been complaining about not getting products which customers in Europe and North America have been receiving and where Hasselblad has subsidiaries. Perhaps it's time for a new distributor in that region. Once again, time will tell.

Last edited:

4x5Australian

As for Australia, I don't know. Hasselblad doesn't have direct distribution there. C.R. Kennedy has been the longtime importer and distributor there. Customers in Australia and New Zealand have been complaining about not getting products which customers in Europe and North America have been receiving and where Hasselblad has subsidiaries. Perhaps it's time for a new distributor in that region. Once again, time will tell.
C.R. Kennedy & Co. has ceased being the distributor of Hasselblad products in Australia. A staff member confirmed today that the change came from DJI.

This news comes as a real surprise, as C.R. Kennedy & Co. has been the distributor of Hasselblad in Australia since 1980 and prides itself on maintaining long-term relationships and commitments. CRK_Company_Profile_2020.pdf (crkennedy.com.au)

The company website still features a Hasselblad page showing remnant stock, which suggests the change occurred only recently.
Shop Hasselblad Lenses in Australia | C.R. Kennedy (crkphotoimaging.com.au)

Last edited:
when I purchased my Hasselblad in Western Australia 10yrs ago it was through Camera Electronics here in Perth, was treated very well wasn't your standard purchase experience, there website lists the X series/V series cameras but no stock of anything.