The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this the lens that will save Olympus?

f8orbust

I don't know if the lens will save them, but the 'bird detection' autofocus feature in the firmware update sounds like a neat feature for wildlife photographers (if it works as claimed).

Last edited:

bensonga

Is there any other company that makes a comparable (~100-400mm) constant aperture (f4-f5) pro quality build zoom lens?

IMHO, Olympus deserves a lot of credit for designing, manufacturing and bringing this lens to market, especially under the circumstances which the company and the industry/world at large face now.

I would not hesitate to buy this lens for my Olympus kit if I truly had a need for it. In the meantime, I’ll have to make do with the new Oly 100-400 which I ordered two days ago.

Gary

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Is there any other company that makes a comparable (~100-400mm) constant aperture (f4-f5) pro quality build zoom lens?

IMHO, Olympus deserves a lot of credit for designing, manufacturing and bringing this lens to market, especially under the circumstances which the company and the industry/world at large face now.

I would not hesitate to buy this lens for my Olympus kit if I truly had a need for it. In the meantime, I’ll have to make do with the new Oly 100-400 which I ordered two days ago.

Gary
This lens makes me think to get an EM1X (for the much lower price it is sold now) and the 150-400 then later next year.

This is a spectacular lens and I think only Olympus can design such a beast. It shows so much dedication, pride, knowledge, vision and love that I have not seen from another company. As I said I really applaud Olympus for doing this.

I do hope that they get a newer camera body with especially an updated new sensor and also an updated new EVF asap, to do justice to such a perfect lens.

WRT needing it - what do you really need? Why not buy this thing and just be happy to shoot around with it. I have photographed this weekend especially with my 40-150 PRO and my 300 PRO and I must say if I had this lens instead of the 300 PRO I think I would be very happy and much more flexible. Or combine it with the excellent 4/12-100 and you get a pretty 👌 zoom range fro 24 to 100 mm FF equivalent with stunning IQ and lightweight - not bad either.

bensonga

I would buy this lens if I expected to put it to regular use and didn't already have some expensive Leica SL lenses on my "wish list". It would certainly be a great fit for my E-M1X. That said, I have the Olympus 300/4 Pro and have rarely used it. I also have the Panasonic Leica 100-400 and have also rarely used it. So you see, as much as I like to have these super-tele lenses available when/if I want to use them, the reality is that I rarely do. For that reason alone....the Olympus 100-400 is a better choice for ME than the 150-400.

On the other hand, the focal lengths I use most often are in the 50 to 135mm range, so I have quite a few lenses in those focal lengths for all my systems which get used frequently (when I'm actually out shooting). A Leica SL 50, 75 or 90mm Summicron is on my wish list to use with my SL, S1 and S1R. Not sure that I will EVER convince myself to spend what it takes to get one of these SL primes, but it will almost certainly be before I spent even more for the outstanding Olympus 150-400 lens, as worthy as that lens certainly is.

Gary

donbga

This thread is a bit ancient but attracted my attention to mention that I believe only 1500 of these lenses were made. So unless the New Olympus makes more of these these lenses, most likely price will increase on the used market because of it's unique properties and rarity. If I could have snagged one I would have but Olympus gave us the new 100-400 and the venerable 300 f/4. But to answer the original question -- Who Knows and now Who Cares.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This thread is a bit ancient but attracted my attention to mention that I believe only 1500 of these lenses were made. So unless the New Olympus makes more of these these lenses, most likely price will increase on the used market because of it's unique properties and rarity. If I could have snagged one I would have but Olympus gave us the new 100-400 and the venerable 300 f/4. But to answer the original question -- Who Knows and now Who Cares.
I haven't heard anywhere else that there's a limited number of lenses available. It seems to be available new here in Thailand, and B&H lists it as back ordered. You may be right of course, but I hope not.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BTW this lens and the OM-1 would be the ONE reason to get back into m43.

I am having really much fun with my Nikon Z but in many cases - if I am honest - the OM-1 and a selection of some PRO lenses would be all I need and even make my photography life easier in many cases. And the 150-400 PRO is a main reason for that.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi ...

although I shoot with an E-M1X, I bought the Panaleica 100-400mm lens ... probably not in the same quality league as its Olympus counterpart, but it suits my needs ... and it is way less expensive ...
Here in Europe, everywhere I look, the Olympus 150-400mm F4.5 Pro seems to be unavailable ... and the price went up to 7499 Euro ...

stay safe,
Rafael

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi ...

although I shoot with an E-M1X, I bought the Panaleica 100-400mm lens ... probably not in the same quality league as its Olympus counterpart, but it suits my needs ... and it is way less expensive ...
Here in Europe, everywhere I look, the Olympus 150-400mm F4.5 Pro seems to be unavailable ... and the price went up to 7499 Euro ...

stay safe,
Rafael
Here in Austria the 150-400 is available, although only on order, but lead times have shrunk from several months to several weeks.

Also the price has stayed the same since it was introduced.

Peter

Knorp

Here in Austria the 150-400 is available, although only on order, but lead times have shrunk from several months to several weeks.

Also the price has stayed the same since it was introduced.

Peter
Yes same situation here in Holland: only on order and the price since introduction is unchanged €7499,-