The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It seems CA too dangerous for me anymore

algrove

Wow, another CA camera store robbed at gun point by 5 criminals yet again after the SF Leica Store last week.

There are so many great destinations in CA, but based on robberies it is only a matter of time before these hoodlums start going to popular photo sites to rob landscape photographers. What a shame this is happening, but certain policies seem to invite these horrific and violent acts which one day will involve the shooting of someone in a store or a photographer while on location.

Paul Spinnler

It is frightening what world we live in. Hope they implemented some anti robbery technology in the cameras whereby you can't use them anymore / trace them if robbed via digital means akin to the iphone.

buildbot

It is frightening what world we live in. Hope they implemented some anti robbery technology in the cameras whereby you can't use them anymore / trace them if robbed via digital means akin to the iphone.
Adobe or Capture One could easily cross reference serials if they wanted, but I do think it is a bit of a privacy issue, as nice as it might be. Certainly scary

algrove

Good idea, but for now it seems the horse escaped the barn before the door could be closed. Maybe with the new Leica Foto app in the latest FW update will facilitate tracing serial numbers. It might be possible. Wonder if these items leave the country like stolen cars often do.

buildbot

Good idea, but for now it seems the horse escaped the barn before the door could be closed. Maybe with the new Leica Foto app in the latest FW update will facilitate tracing serial numbers. It might be possible. Wonder if these items leave the country like stolen cars often do.
Absolutely they would - way easy to ship a camera vs. a car! I actually found my stolen D750 using this site before: https://www.lenstag.com/stolen/
Some watch collector was using it to post images to a another forum 🤷‍♀️

kdphotography

There are so many great destinations in CA, but based on robberies it is only a matter of time before these hoodlums start going to popular photo sites to rob landscape photographers. What a shame this is happening, but certain policies seem to invite these horrific and violent acts which one day will involve the shooting of someone in a store or a photographer while on location.
Already happening. I left the stupidity of CA years ago. But I am aware that certain areas are indeed targeted for "Smash and Grab" from vehicles. This was a concern for parked vehicles during Pigs/CI in Carmel at Garrapata State Park. Always a good idea to have someone keeping an eye on things.

KC_2020

Smash and grab crimes have increased across the U.S. for the last couple of years. California makes the national news more often because it's easier to sensationalize than the attempted smash and grab robberies in Franklin, TENN. or 3 successful smash and grabs within 48 hours in Detroit