The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Landscape Photography

jsf

@olafphoto, beautiful scene, for me just a tad more contrast in the falling water would probably improve it, the dark surroundings (part of the overall large contrast of the scene) doesn't bother me.

I'll be second, also with an older shot (May 2016)

The last rays of the setting Tuscan sun kissing the hillside

Sony A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2
This is a nice subtle image. It is processed to a specific aesthetic, a flatter set of mid-tones than I prefer, but the scene is lovely and has an emotive content.

pegelli

I thank you for the critique and further explanation. I have learned to live with the fact that my sense of picture is not in line with other practitioners of our craft. I do not look at this as a negative nor a positive. I accepted and made my peace long ago that I am usually the oddity and I am comfortable with that. I really have no clue what to do about that.
My pleasure Joe, I think receiving critique and comments is an art as well and you're doing good. As long as you are happy with the image that's finally all that counts. The way I look at critique and comments is that I feel free to agree or disagree with it but I always learn something from it and feel thankful for people taking the time to write it .

Reactions: jsf

pegelli

I really like taking landscape and compressing it with a long lens. There are two kinds of images; one is contained with a single point to rest your eyes upon, all of the elements lead directly to this one point. The other is more complex, an uncontained image is a low percentage attempt in composition. When it works it is quite arresting, when it doesn't work it is quite disturbing. Most people who like landscape images really dislike uncontained landscape images. An uncontained 'abstract' image is generally accepted, I cannot imagine what an uncontained portrait might look like. But uncontained landscapes fall into that nether region of acceptability. One's eye never rests, flowing along the lines seeing the detail but never alighting. My suggestion is to look at the image as if the central point was everything between the four corners.
I also like longer lenses to pick out interesting areas like you did here. I don't find it uncontained, there's indeed a lot to look at with all the lines and structures but the "blue-ish island" about 1/3 up in the image still gives me a resting point and anchor around which the rest of the image is built up.

Reactions: jsf

jsf

My pleasure Joe, I think receiving critique and comments is an art as well and you're doing good. As long as you are happy with the image that's finally all that counts. The way I look at critique and comments is that I feel free to agree or disagree with it but I always learn something from it and feel thankful for people taking the time to write it .
My sentiments also.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I really like taking landscape and compressing it with a long lens. There are two kinds of images; one is contained with a single point to rest your eyes upon, all of the elements lead directly to this one point. The other is more complex, an uncontained image is a low percentage attempt in composition. When it works it is quite arresting, when it doesn't work it is quite disturbing. Most people who like landscape images really dislike uncontained landscape images. An uncontained 'abstract' image is generally accepted, I cannot imagine what an uncontained portrait might look like. But uncontained landscapes fall into that nether region of acceptability. One's eye never rests, flowing along the lines seeing the detail but never alighting. My suggestion is to look at the image as if the central point was everything between the four corners.
I like your idea of "compressing landscape" with a long lens. Do you shoot with film? Is it a scan? The quality is so poor that it is hard to assess the image.

jsf

I like your idea of "compressing landscape" with a long lens. Do you shoot with film? Is it a scan? The quality is so poor that it is hard to assess the image.
No, I stopped using film long ago, specifically because I thought the quality was so poor. I really do not know what to say about your comment that the quality is so poor. It could be because it is a reduced JPEG at 100 DPI without output sharpening. But in looking at the raw image it seems that it has a great deal of information in the center but not so much in the borders. This is weird to me. I redid it with output sharpening but it does not change the fact that there is not the kind of information I would expect from that lens. I might have jiggled a bit when I shot the darned thing. I never noticed it was not crystal sharp. I usually pixel peep so wow, thank you for looking and commenting on that. I output sharpened it and it looks a bit better but as it happens, I tend to not fuss too much with an image. If it really has some problems I tend to leave it be and go one to the next image. If you don't mind I can upload a different example of compression that is a sharper image.

Bas Klinter

Seeing the other photos here makes it a little intimidating, but here goes. This one has become one of my favourites, won't say much about it at this point.
Technicals are Hasselblad 500cm / 80mm, Portra 400 @ 125/f11 (2 stops overexposed).

Curious to hear what others think. I have thick skin btw ;-)

009_07.JPG