The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Laowa 17mm for GFX

DougDolde

Another plug for MPB I just bought a Venus Laowa 17mm f/4 GFX Zero-D - Fujifilm GFX FIt in Excellent condition from them for $799 no tax free shipping.

I wasn't going to buy another lens than the 50mm I already have but could not resist $400 off the new retail price.

Attachments

biglouis

Great captures. I owned the lens for about 8 months. With my copy I found I really needed to stop down to at least f16 to get edge to edge sharpness. It is a good piece of glass but I sold it to pay for the 30/3.5 which I need more.

DougDolde

Great captures. I owned the lens for about 8 months. With my copy I found I really needed to stop down to at least f16 to get edge to edge sharpness. It is a good piece of glass but I sold it to pay for the 30/3.5 which I need more.
I'm finding my copy pretty sharp all over at f/11 certainly good enough for a 30x40 print. I like the perspective it gives

biglouis

This was my best capture. I think it was f16 and I didn't do any focus stacking. Tripod mounted and natural light. The 50R is of course an absolute champion for this kind of capture. The committee room of the famous Lloyds Register of Shipping, in Fenchurch Street, City of London. As you can see the lens is capable of nice sun stars when stopped down.

_GSF1921_HDR_1_ps.jpg

This is a 100% crop of the fireplace detail at the end of the room - the 50R is an amazing camera!

_GSF1921_HDR_1_ps-2.jpg

DougDolde

This was my best capture. I think it was f16 and I didn't do any focus stacking. Tripod mounted and natural light. The 50R is of course an absolute champion for this kind of capture. The committee room of the famous Lloyds Register of Shipping, in Fenchurch Street, City of London. As you can see the lens is capable of nice sun stars when stopped down.

View attachment 177890

This is a 100% crop of the fireplace detail at the end of the room - the 50R is an amazing camera!

View attachment 177891
Great image! And you sold the Laowa? I agree its the best camera I've ever owner including Phase One

biglouis

Great image! And you sold the Laowa? I agree its the best camera I've ever owner including Phase One
Yes. And now looking at your images I am beginning to regret it ;)

In the past I also owned the GF 23/4. An absolutely stellar lens but I found the focal length was neither fish nor fowl. Wide enough to make the perspective interesting but not wide enough for interior or exterior shots without having to stitch, hence the reason I got the 17mm.

With Covid restricting everything my need for the lens has gone away but next year, if things ever pick up again, I might try to find a s/h copy like you did and get it again.

For architecture it was damn good and this one job almost paid fully for the lens.

_GSF1012.jpg