The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 images

pegelli

K-H., Leica stopped this service somewhere in 2020.
However Kolari offers both full sensor replacement or just replacement of the cover glass on their website. Price depends on what replacement and calibration options you choose.
Since they're located in the US (NJ if I'm not mistaken) it would be relatively straight forward for you, no need to worry about customs or transatlantic shipping.

k-hawinkler

K-H., Leica stopped this service somewhere in 2020.
However Kolari offers both full sensor replacement or just replacement of the cover glass on their website. Price depends on what replacement and calibration options you choose.
Since they're located in the US (NJ if I'm not mistaken) it would be relatively straight forward for you, no need to worry about customs or transatlantic shipping.
Thank you very much Pieter.
That’s good to know.
Seems like an option.
I have to think about that.

pegelli

Have you found the charger? Just to be able to see if it still works OK mechanically would be a step forward, even if the sensor is now more heavily corroded.
The other critical thing to test would be the alignment and accuracy of the split image rangefinder.

k-hawinkler

Have you found the charger? Just to be able to see if it still works OK mechanically would be a step forward, even if the sensor is now more heavily corroded.
The other critical thing to test would be the alignment and accuracy of the split image rangefinder.
Thank you Pieter, much appreciated. I agree.
I had the M9 once sent to Leica/Germany to adjust the rangefinder mechanism.
Didn't have a problem with that since.
Of course you are correct, that needs to be checked as well.
Thanks again.

algrove

This is an image taken with a Rigid Summicron-M 50/2 from 1956 after I had the lens CLA'ed.

Leica M9 + Rigid Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (IV, V)@ f/8, 1/750 s, ISO 160, DxO PL6.
I also own that lens from the first batch in 1956 and find it lovely in the way it renders the scene-soft but sharp or should I say sharp but soft.

algrove

On 2017.06.18 we cleaned the M9 sensor and did a Sensor Corrosion Test by taking images of the sky with a number of f-stops. This one was taken at f/16.

or converted to Black/White

Now the corresponding images for t/4.

These are the last images taken with my M9. I wonder in what shape it is now?
If I seriously wanted to use my M9, the sensor would need to be replaced, no doubt.

Question:

Does Leica still replace sensors of the M9?
Of course for a fee. If Leica does that, what would be the cost?
Also could the camera be repaired in the USA or would need to be sent to Germany.
Thanks for any advice.
I heard they have run out of the Kodak sensors, but then sourced from another manufacturer. They now charge if they still do it at all. As you may know, they first started replacing bad sensors for free, and then as inventory got low they reverted to around charging $1000 and then it went up after that. You might have trouble replacing it today. The next option is buy a used one with documented sensor replacement. I now see Pegelli answered this better than I could.

Last edited:

algrove

FWIW, I am trying to see how old M lenses can help rendering images on the M11 closer to that of the M9 with the 50/2 Rigid, 35/2 8 element, Elcan 50/2, Noctilux 1.0, 50/1.4 pre-ASPH and even the VM 35/2 Ultra, Elmarit-M 90/2.8, Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8, Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (fat). So far the 50 Rigid appeals, but the rest are waiting for their use/test.

algrove

Can't resist K-H now that you got me researching old images from my first digital camera, the M9. Can you believe most full 18MP jpegs are too large for this site even today. Will have to down res. Well who knows what is up here now after down rising they still will not post as I get the "OOPs" message from getdpi.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Bandelier Frijoles Canyon and Creek Flooding Aftermath

Leica M9+ Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH. (at 16mm) @ f/4, s 1/24 s, ISO 160, DxO PL6.

Leica M9+ Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH. (at 16mm) @ f/6.7, s 1/60 s, ISO 160, DxO PL6.

Last edited: