The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica MP - Black Paint or Chrome

dave.gt

After years of dreaming of a film Leica camera, the black paint MP, I see that BHPhoto still has them listed as Back Ordered. But they have no explanation.

Has Leica permanently discontinued all film camera production?

Had the film era officially ended for Leica?

JoelM

I am curious as well. I put myself down to be notified when back in stock, but it's been about 6 weeks now. Otherwise, these things will cost more than new :(

Joel

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
6 weeks ? Try 6 months and at B&H maybe never . There is no best approach to getting a black paint MP ..nothing works . Occasionally you can find a silver MP used at FredMiranda Buy Sell . I paid well over list for my black paint MP (used) after trying for 6 months . I posted a WTB for a used black paint MP offering to pay $500 above list price . I had to pay more .

Demand for black paint MP is much higher than silver MP s.

dave.gt

6 weeks ? Try 6 months and at B&H maybe never . There is no best approach to getting a black paint MP ..nothing works . Occasionally you can find a silver MP used at FredMiranda Buy Sell . I paid well over list for my black paint MP (used) after trying for 6 months . I posted a WTB for a used black paint MP offering to pay $500 above list price . I had to pay more .

Demand for black paint MP is much higher than silver MP s.
Somehow, I get the feeling they are becoming collector items and are not being used.

Sadly, they are wonderful cameras to experience, for their intended use… but most will not.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My local shop in Bangkok lists the MP Black Paint as available. I don't know if that means that they have it in stock or even if the Thai distributor has them, but if you're interested, I can check for you when they come back from their Songkran holiday next week.

They have two second hand silver MP bodies (Souei mak = very beautiful) listed for THB 135,000 each, which is around USD 4,200.

AV Camera is a leading retailer of Leica cameras in Thailand and very trustworthy.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Good advice to look for alternative sources . When I was shopping ..I found that most used bodies had serial numbers indicating they were more than 20 years old . Look at Leica Wiki as a source for the date ranges . I did not want to pay within a $1000 of MSRP for a body that probably should be serviced . DAG now charges about $400 for CLA on Leica film bodies and it takes 3-6 months .

In the USA I found excellent used MP both black and silver ..at about $5500 or list ...but used . None of these were newer bodies based on serial numbers . I could find them in HK at about $5000 again 20 years old .

I have excellent sources at Leica USA stores and was told by them to not even get on the list . Too many speculating with orders just trying to sell at a premium .

Demand for Leica film bodies is strong . Leica has been rumored for some time to be considering a lower cost entry level film M .

I did find a Leica R6 (all mechanical body ) in like new condition for under $1000 . Terrific film camera but then you have to find the R lenses . They have all be taken by the cinematographers .

dave.gt

Well, at the moment, it looks possible to actually find a good black paint MP given time and patience. Thanks so much for the input guys!

Right now I have to sell my H5D-50c to pay the medical bills. When I have that out of the way, I can possibly start looking in earnest.

Lately, I have been shooting my expired rolls of Black and White film sitting in the freezer. I am slowly picking up fresh film each month to replace it, and I am enjoying the developing process immensely, trying different developers and such.

I am stuck with my Nikon FTN cameras, and the FE2 and FM2n for now. But I sure miss my M3, and M6.

65EACFB7-A0E1-4A11-BB7F-DD7DAB511E6E.jpeg

JoelM

I have a mint silver 50 anniv M4-P that I use, complete with original box, papers, and unused strap. I am hesitant to use it due to its rarity and condition so that's why I am looking for an MP. Patience might pay off so I shall wait and see or else just fold and buy a silver one. As for a 20 year old Leica, I don't see the issue nor the need to CLA it unless it has problems. My Leicas, 45 years of various ownership and treated with care have never needed service.
Joel

JoelM

I bought an M6 and then a really nice black paint MP came along so I am "stuck" with both. I don't think that BH will ever get anymore. There are some available overseas, but nothing new here in the US.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Purchased a number of new Leica products from M&K Kamera in Hong Kong without any issues . They are also recommended by T. Overgaard as one of his dealers . They have a request process to notify you of new items when they arrive .

Leica USA dealers are all maintaining a wait lists with no commitment . Unless you are on it you will never see any scarce items in stock anywhere. I concentrate my buying of new items thru Leica Miami and eventually I get stuff . Leica SF and Leica DC also do a good job with their wait lists .

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I bought both my M-A (which I'm now half-heartedly trying to sell) and my MP BP from Leica DC two years ago without any wait.