The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leveling base with Arca Cube?

Rand47

Curious to know if any of you use a leveling base on your tripod in conjunction with the Arca Cube? Redundant? Advantages? Disadvantages?

OK, let me clarify. I have the Arca C1 Cube and am thinking of "grabbing" a remaining new RRS TA 4 leveling base that will fit my TVC 44 tripod. So, it is the combination of using a leveling base IN CONJUNCTION with the Cube that I'd like opinions on. Since arguably I can level the Cube's top clamp with its adjustments, am I wasting time / weight / money adding a leveling base to my tripod?

Rand

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use the Gitzo leveler. It has a very nice quick-release lever for tightening and releasing the head so you don't have that "head won't unscrew because the panning base is slipping" problem. It replaces the ordinary tripod top, so it doesn't add THAT much weight, and I can use it with a light acratech panning head. But even with the Cube, it's nice to start off really level.

Rand47

OK, let me clarify. I have the Arca C1 Cube and am thinking of "grabbing" a remaining new RRS TA 4 leveling base that will fit my TVC 44 tripod. So, it is the combination of using a leveling base IN CONJUNCTION with the Cube that I'd like opinions on. Since arguably I can level the Cube's top clamp with its adjustments, am I wasting time / weight / money adding a leveling base to my tripod?

Also, since RRS is no longer making the TVC 44 tripod, B&H "having in stock" the matching leveling base (there won't be any more made) is attractive to me just for "future proofing" my setup in case I ever got a full pano gimbal setup.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear on what I was asking, and thanks for the input so far.

Rand

f8orbust

As a cube user I've never thought about adding a levelling base. I mean, you can pretty much level it/position it no matter what, just using all the inbuilt movements. So what does a separate levelling base add, other than weight ?

dchew

I used to have one on my RRS-3 tripod. If you are planning on stitching with the cube by rotation, then it helps to have the whole head level. In cases where you are tilted up or down (some Pitch), if you swing the camera from the top panning device it will induce some Roll as you pan. If you level the cube, and now pan from the cube's base instead of the cube top, there will be no roll when you pan.

I got rid of it because with a technical camera, I prefer to stitch by shifting the back, not panning. I also adjust horizon using rise/fall, not Pitching the camera up or down. So for me, it was just added weight when used with the cube.

Dave

Edit: See this post here in the Great Tripod Thread: Panning with a level Cube

Alan

I regularly use my cube as a pano head, pitching up and down while panning. You definitely want it’s base leveled for this.

I still find it faster, more precise and elegant to just level with the tripod legs. At most it requires adjusting two legs.
(I always found ball heads fiddly to level with with their unlimited directional freedom.)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used to have one on my RRS-3 tripod. If you are planning on stitching with the cube by rotation, then it helps to have the whole head level. In cases where you are tilted up or down (some Pitch), if you swing the camera from the top panning device it will induce some Roll as you pan. If you level the cube, and now pan from the cube's base instead of the cube top, there will be no roll when you pan.

I got rid of it because with a technical camera, I prefer to stitch by shifting the back, not panning. I also adjust horizon using rise/fall, not Pitching the camera up or down. So for me, it was just added weight when used with the cube.

Dave

In fact, a leveling base with a panning platform (Novoflex has a nice one) and nothing else would do well with a tech cam. Save a pound or two.

Rand47

Dave

Dave,

This is exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks. I do plan to do mulit row panos, hopefully only using the Cube for pitch up and down. And I now "get it" (just tested it) that if I only level the top plate of the cube but rotate from the base, I induce roll. So, for my purposes adding the leveling base will eliminate this by having the whole head level.

It's better for me than a separate gimbal type head to haul around. Thanks to you (and Alan) for this key bit of information that I was missing.

Rand

Smoothjazz

One thing I would add- I used the Gitzo leveling base for many years, but started to find it was at times easy to loosen- a bit clunky. I purchased their newer leveling base this year- it is more ergonomic and seems to work much better. If you are using a Gitzo tripod it is worth a try. I really I find it is helpful for panoramic photos with the XF camera- leveling the base as a first step is quick and intuitive.

Rand47

I pulled the trigger on the RRS TA 4 leveling base from B&H. They now show "discontinued." I'm glad I bought it. Might very well be the last one "in the wild" brand new. RRS still shows them “back order” - but I wonder if they’ll make anymore since the TVC 44 tripods are no longer made.

It arrived today, and just in case anyone is interested, here’s how it looks on a RRS TVC 44 tripod, with the Cube attached to it:

3CF41880-86FC-426A-BCF7-EF55DAB5B92A.jpeg
Thanks again for the insight provide by everyone.

Rand

Last edited:

f8orbust

For anyone out there like me who's a user of older model RRS and Gitzo tripods and might be looking for a levelling base, I've tried this example from Leofoto in the past. If I was in need of one it would be a decent choice, especially since it can work with a centre column.