The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Lenses

doug

back home from a month away

a Coyote granted me a few minutes of his time

Western Bluebirds now have fresh bright plumage

siamex34.jpg

I spent last month visiting family in various parts of Japan and managed to sneak in some time for the local birds

butind02.jpg

anazon00.jpg

motalb01.jpg

monsol05.jpg

phoaur00.jpg

all: a7rIII, 100-400 GM

Last edited:

doug

California's 'shelter in place' rules allow solitary outdoor activities as long as a 6' distance is maintained from other people. This is an outdoorsy introvert's paradise. The rules are silent regarding distance from wildlife.

a7rIII, FE 600mm f/4 GM

gurtch

In keeping with our paying attention to social distancing, we have been going to out of the way places that have no people there at present. Sony A7rRII, Sony GM 100-400mm lens at 152mm, f13 1/500 sec. ISO 400. Image changed to 4:3 format and converted to B&W and manipulated with Topaz Adjust.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

D810 framed.jpg

doug

In a remote area of El Dorado County California is a mountain meadow favored by Calliope Hummingbirds. The feisty little jewels return here every spring once the snow has melted and bugs re-emerge. This spot has been so reliable that I've been able to take friends there, point to a scrawny willow and say "watch that twig" and within minutes the twig is decorated with the hummingbird.

Last year's late-spring snowstorm did not treat the scrawny willow kindly but within 10' is another perch, now the hummingbird's favored lookout spot.

both: a7rIII, FE 600mm f/4 GM, extension tubes

doug

I visited the Calliope Hummingbird spot again last week, this is likely the last photo of this species for the year since the bird is harder to find after mid-May and my schedule has suddenly become more complicated.

a7rIII, FE 600mm GM

doug

I made some revisions to my backyard avian portrait studio: the birdbath is now closer to camera level and I've eliminated most of the bright reflections in the water. This cooperative Ruby-crowned Kinglet was my first test subject with the revised birdbath.

03 December 2020
IMBY, Sacramento County California
regcal12.jpg

Last edited: