The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10-D mini-review

Godfrey

Good points but I suspect it won't call for drastic Dremel tool action. I'm sure it will be removable same as you can with a film M body.
I imagine it will be, but I suspect I'd want to fill the space left when you remove it with something. Either reshape the lever into a ring or shape an appropriately sized bit of material to fit in its place.

G

scott kirkpatrick

I suspect I'd want to fill the space left when you remove it with something. Either reshape the lever into a ring or shape an appropriately sized bit of material to fit in its place.

G
Here's where I expect to hear from Technical Match, who created three kinds of shutter button, any day now. (Tom Abrahamsson is no longer with us and as an M2 lover would not sympathize.)

airfrogusmc

If directed at me, I apologize.

I am just a bit irritated at how Leica spends their profits on flashy new special editions and looney things like faux film levers when the tool I need for my job could be months away from being fixed.

It was never my intention to "Hijack" the thread, Godfrey merely asked me a question and then I responded and folks flipped out.
I think that if these special editions weren't making money they (Leica) certainly would not do them. I feel if these special editions help keep Leica in the black and they then can produce cameras like the M 10 and the MM then it's all good. I would never buy one of these special edition cameras but I really don't care if they produce them. I would even say if it helps them making MMs, M 10s and film cameras then it's a good thing. I just won't buy one any collectors item because these are tools for me. Not something to be put on a shelf.

Just like I will not buy this D model. I will be picking up another M 10 before the end of the year though for the biz. I haven't shot with the new M 10 D but it seems to me that this thumb rest is kinda like a thumbs up that you can move out of the way if you do not want to use it. If you don't like it the best protest to a company is vote with your $$$$. Don't buy it.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

If you need to complain about special editions, go to the thread on "only 60 copies." The M10-D isn't a special edition. It's just an M10-P with the controls largely offloaded to your phone or to a viewfinder, neither of which is needed to take pictures. I'm getting good use out of mine, and using it in challenging conditions.

L1008510 Panorama by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr M24/2.8 asph ISO 6400

scott kirkpatrick

Would it have been more simple for the camera to sync the time with the phone through the app? That’s how I would’ve designed it... along with being able to format cards in the camera through the app.
The FOTOS app does both of those things. Since 1.0.1 in iOS and 1.0.2 in Android.

scott kirkpatrick

Another M10-D shot under fairly extreme conditions

Shot under a single streetlight, and rendered in B/W to give the feeling of an Elliot Landy album cover from the 1960s:

L1008716 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr M10-D ISO 6400 M50SX@f/1.4

Not knowing if you got it until the pictures are downloaded is a bit stressful (I knew I got it) but fun.

jdphoto

I've had several film Leica's and never once used the rewind lever as a "thumbs up" grip. Do people actually hold a Leica that way?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I've had several film Leica's and never once used the rewind lever as a "thumbs up" grip. Do people actually hold a Leica that way?
Occasionally they do - I did so with all my film Leica's :thumbs: and I loved it!

V

Vivek

Neck strap to secure the camera, left hand on the lens to focus, right hand to trip the shutter- the average “normal” operation.

scott kirkpatrick

Sometimes, especially when taking a vertical, but more often I use all that nice leather-covered back of the camera to hold onto. And when I am using a heavy lens and between shots, I am more likely to hold the camera in one hand, with my hand under both camera and lens, thumb on top of the lens keeping the lens cap from falling off.

scott kirkpatrick

Irakly Shanidze has added a short commentary on the M10-D on his website:
Leica M10-D. The Cutting Edge Old School – ART PHOTO ACADEMY

He concentrates on exposures in very bad light and shooting somewhat predictable action in dance since these would seem to be challenges. He liked it (but I suspect he had to send it back to Leica when his time was up).

Incidentally, there are some copies in stock again, for example, I saw one listed at Popflash.

I'm enjoying mine. Used it as the principal camera on a recent trip to Spain. I tend to keep the thumb-rest winding lever out, but hold it primarily by gripping the front and back of the camera, with my right hand through a triple-loop of bog-standard Leica strap, which I attached with the ends going down and the triple loop already made. When the strap is over my shoulder, there are twists in it, but for one-hand operation it works great.

C1090947 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL60/2.8@f/8

Last edited:

Charles2

Re: Would you want to eat something this color?

The cook doesn't know how to adjust color tint in Lightroom.