The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M11 Images

Hausen

The M11 is great but 907 and Hassxy XCD lens IQ is better.
I totally agree but I live in the adventure capital of NZ and I find I keep leaving the majority of my XCD lenses behind when I hike, ride motorbike, mountain bike or snowboard and going back to a smaller kit makes sense even though I will sacrifice IQ. Photography has always been my main interest but I like to combine it with all of the above.:)

The M11 (I have two) is as good as I have seen on a FF camera ....but its not competitive with MF (any brand) for landscape . It can not overcome the advantage of a larger sensor . This does not mean you can not produce stunning image quality with an M11 ...but if you primary objective is creating images with tons of detail and perhaps print them big ....MF wins every time .

This hasn't changed but now the M11 is competitive (image quality ) with anything available in FF digital . That may be enough for your intended applications .

Also keep in mind that at 60MPs ....your files show every weakness in your technique . You will easily see ..very small misses in focus , slight camera motion and just about anything the photographer can screw up . This why when I shoot sports ..I am happy with a 24MP Sl2-s body . Its more forgiving .
I think part of why I am trading the 907x is because I am so comfortable with M cameras. I had the M8, M9 and Monochrom so I know what I am getting into. I will miss the Hassy for sure because I have always loved the brand and the system, but when I am in the back country with the 21mm only and I want a long lens and my 120mm is at home it is not much good to me. (I had a fall of a cliff a few years back and my back is not a forgiving as it once was)

Thank you both for the responses though, really helps me think through my decision.

Reactions: med

spb

Staff member
The M11 (I have two) is as good as I have seen on a FF camera ....but its not competitive with MF (any brand) for landscape . It can not overcome the advantage of a larger sensor . This does not mean you can not produce stunning image quality with an M11 ...but if you primary objective is creating images with tons of detail and perhaps print them big ....MF wins every time .

This hasn't changed but now the M11 is competitive (image quality ) with anything available in FF digital . That may be enough for your intended applications .

Also keep in mind that at 60MPs ....your files show every weakness in your technique . You will easily see ..very small misses in focus , slight camera motion and just about anything the photographer can screw up . This why when I shoot sports ..I am happy with a 24MP Sl2-s body . Its more forgiving .

Reactions: bab

Paratom

I totally agree but I live in the adventure capital of NZ and I find I keep leaving the majority of my XCD lenses behind when I hike, ride motorbike, mountain bike or snowboard and going back to a smaller kit makes sense even though I will sacrifice IQ. Photography has always been my main interest but I like to combine it with all of the above.:)

I think part of why I am trading the 907x is because I am so comfortable with M cameras. I had the M8, M9 and Monochrom so I know what I am getting into. I will miss the Hassy for sure because I have always loved the brand and the system, but when I am in the back country with the 21mm only and I want a long lens and my 120mm is at home it is not much good to me. (I had a fall of a cliff a few years back and my back is not a forgiving as it once was)

Thank you both for the responses though, really helps me think through my decision.
IQ from the M11 is certainly very good as well. I am even considering to move from M10r to M11 (I am not totaly decided yet). I would welcome the new exposure metering and battery and the reduced weight.
On the other side it seems the M10r has a slight advantage in corner IQ with wide angle lenses (at least with some).
I also hike, ride motorbike and MTB etc. For MTB I even find the M too heavy and would rather bring my Canon G1XIII.
For Hikes and Motorbike for me both - either the M with 2-3 lenses or the SL2 with 1 or 2 lenses (most often the 24-70) does the job.
The x1d is not really much bigger/heavier. (Except the 120 maybe - but the 90 for example is quite light). I dont use the x1d that much because it feels slow to me, and I have kids, a dog,...
I also sold my 907x. Its a nice camera, but specially outside in bright light the display didnt do it for me , I prefer a viewfinder.

hotshoe

Also keep in mind that at 60MPs ....your files show every weakness in your technique .
This is my main concern w/ M11. For a camera that sees mainly handheld use, 60MP on a FF sensor without IBIS is a stretch IMO. I assume there were packaging constraints that ruled out IBIS, which would have been a better solution than pixel binning (reduced resolution) modes.

This why when I shoot sports ..I am happy with a 24MP Sl2-s body . Its more forgiving .
I made call to go w/ R3 over Z9, same logic (plus other factors). Never thought of SL2-s as a sports shooter though. Are you getting good AF results? I shoot Canikon for anything that involves fast moving/erratic subjects. Had the SL2, but Z9 and R3 AF is on an entirely different level. (Sony is too, but I dread their ergonomic design, or lack thereof.)

Paul Spinnler

I use the Visoflex 2, and it is no issue. You see the ageing of some lens designs, though, such as the SX 50, when side-by-side with their newest offerings ... the APO 35 M especially is in a class of its own ... even better than the 50 APO in controlling CA in the most brutal of situations as backlit hair against the sun ... great camera especially with lenses from the 2010s onwards ...

I think the real allure of the system is the compactness which just brings the camera into the territory of taking it along anywhere, whereas the SL2, for example, is just a bit bigger, but that little difference makes me not want to bring it to regular life happenings, such as an outing with the family. This is why I presume the new Hassy might be the perfect Leica M camera if they manage to get the responsiveness and viewfinder up to the highest market standards.

And then, in 2 years, we'll have hopefully the mirrorless S4, which would be the ultimate Leica, IMHO.

Last edited:

hotshoe

And then, in 2 years, we'll have hopefully the mirrorless S4, which would be the ultimate Leica, IMHO.
A mirrorless S4 would be fantastic. I went down the slippery slope of investing in the S system and, while big & heavy, it's easily my favorite system compared to M, SL, and Q (but def not a replacement for a compact system like M or Q). I've resigned myself to the S system being end-of-life, but, when it comes to such things, I prefer to set expectations low and get pleasantly surprised than the other way around.

DaveS

Hi all, here are some Spring shots in Vancouver with the M11 and various lenses. (Summarit 75mm, Summarit 50mm, CV 28mm Vintage ASPH, Tele-Elmarit 90mm F2.8)

These are all very small light lenses, and with one lens on the Black M11, it basically feels like carrying just the body weight of a M10 version. Which is really nice.

I started with a Silver M11 which I ordered before I knew about the weight difference, and changed after a week, and am really glad I did.

Some are cropped, all are processed in lightroom.

Dave

Attachments

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is my main concern w/ M11. For a camera that sees mainly handheld use, 60MP on a FF sensor without IBIS is a stretch IMO. I assume there were packaging constraints that ruled out IBIS, which would have been a better solution than pixel binning (reduced resolution) modes.

I made call to go w/ R3 over Z9, same logic (plus other factors). Never thought of SL2-s as a sports shooter though. Are you getting good AF results? I shoot Canikon for anything that involves fast moving/erratic subjects. Had the SL2, but Z9 and R3 AF is on an entirely different level. (Sony is too, but I dread their ergonomic design, or lack thereof.)
Sorry I just saw this question .

No question that precise auto focus with AF tracking is the way to go for sports . I now have a Nikon Z9 ,the new 70-200/2.8 S and someday the 400/2.8 S (if it ever arrives ). Previously I was using the Nikon D5 .

However it depends on the sport . I ve been shooting Little League Baseball using the Leica SL2-S and the 90-280/2.8-4 lens . AF tracking is a waste of time and leads to unnecessary misses . Spot AF is however very precise and leads to a decent hit ratio. I am shooting wide open at dusk and the image quality is just exceptional . Baseball is fairly predictable with the exception of the out field (with the Sl2-S..a diving catch is almost pure luck ). However ....batting ,pitching ,plays at the bases are all very doable . The informal portraits of the players really shine with the Leica lens .

I have not been able to make it work with Lacrosse and will fire up the Z9 for next season .

PeterA

I've had the camera for a couple of weeks now and getting used to shooting M again after a couple of years away. One pleasant surprise was the quality of monochrome shots - straight out of the camera in Jpeg. 60 megapixels ( as expected ) provides a lot of post processing elbow room especially when matched to the dynamic range capabilities of the sensor - slowly building up a collection of glass to add to my bare cupboard Nocti I used in this snap and the 21 SEM. I am trying out some Voigtlander APO glass in teh next couple of weeks - waiting on the 50 apo lanther and the 28. to arrive. I use the M11 and my recently repurchased M9M for my happy snap walking bodies.

So far no problems with 'sharpness from a no IBIS 60 megapixels set up - it helps that the camera and typical lens usage is a neat package - for street shooting with wides I am typically hyper focal distance focusing anyway at 5.6- 8 for more set up shots - even wide open with faster glass the flexible higher ISO and shutter combos mean the only concern is a steady hand.

L1000710.jpg

below to demonstrate sharpness sans IBIS and with a 'difficult to focus. Nocti wide open

L1000716.jpg

atb Pete

peterm1

What was that plane dropping into the sky? Anyway, have had my M11 for several months now and shutter shake has not been an issue like I thought it might be. Love the silver, although in hindsight it would be nice to have the lighter black body. I'm happy with the results from the M11, but I still think I may very slightly prefer the files I had been getting from my Hassy kit (which I sold), but the overall size and slowness of the X1D system put it at a disadvantage to the M (IMHO). I'm still thinking about picking up a used X1DII or 907x again or waiting for the X2D with just one or two lenses...

Reactions: usm

algrove

Look closely and you can see it is paratroopers.

Comparing 35mm to MF images is a tough one. I do like the small form factor of the M11 over larger bodies in any form factor. Ever try the Fuji 100S?

hotshoe

Not every day do you hear of someone shooting birds in flight with an M :- ) Nice work Lou. Really captures the moment nicely -- can visualize the paratroopers jumping out of the plane looking at their spacing.