The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Studio

stngoldberg

Several week ago, I complained that processing my 150 mpx images had slowed down my trashcan computer to a crawl especially when stitching those large tiff's into panoramas and stacking large files in Helicon.
Help came from members who suggested Mac Studio as a solution. I patiently waited five weeks for the Mac Studio to arrive and suffered the pain of transferring all of my software to the new computer which required upgrading and repurchasing lots of software.
It was worth it! I can now process files in seconds that were taking me several minutes; thunderbolt 3 is enabling me to download huge amount of data in a flash.
Thank you to those of you on this forum who advised me to make this change and to the folks at Eizo and Apple who helped an 83 year old guy find the needed cables and adapters to make this happen.
Stanley

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What display did you settle on ? I am impatiently waiting for Eizo new 27" inch display due out in October .

stngoldberg

With a bit of help from EIZO I was able to use my old CG27 display which features inherent color calibration, but the Mac Studio wouldn’t play nicely with my old Apple cinema display so I purchased their new Apple studio display. I needed a Startech HDMI to USC -c cable to connect the Eizo…for some reason an HDMI to HDMI cable between the EIZO and the Mac studio would disable the Apple display. The folks at the Eizo help desk were accessible, knowledgeable and terrifically helpful; while the folks at Apple eventuality connected me to someone that knew what he was doing after several frustrating calls with people who were not qualified.
BTW, I found that the Mac Studio did not have sufficient ports to accept all of my external hard drives and various card readers. I bought the OWC dock which enables all my needs
stanley

hcubell

With a bit of help from EIZO I was able to use my old CG27 display which features inherent color calibration, but the Mac Studio wouldn’t play nicely with my old Apple cinema display so I purchased their new Apple studio display. I needed a Startech HDMI to USC -c cable to connect the Eizo…for some reason an HDMI to HDMI cable between the EIZO and the Mac studio would disable the Apple display. The folks at the Eizo help desk were accessible, knowledgeable and terrifically helpful; while the folks at Apple eventuality connected me to someone that knew what he was doing after several frustrating calls with people who were not qualified.
BTW, I found that the Mac Studio did not have sufficient ports to accept all of my external hard drives and various card readers. I bought the OWC dock which enables all my needs
stanley
I understood from both NEC and Eizo that an HDMI connection should not be used. It would compromise color accuracy. For reasons not clear to me, the DisplayPort connection between my NEC PA 322 UHD and my MacStudio Ultra would not work. There is an extended thread at Luminous Landscape about the issue back in April. I ultimately was forced to upgrade my monitor.

hcubell

In no small part thanks to you, I ended up buying the Apple Pro Display XDR. It’s wonderful. In the famous words of Ron Popeil, I set it (at D65 and CDM 100) and forget it.

TechTalk

Thanks. I haven't suggested what monitor anyone should buy or prefer. I've just tried to give a reasonably detailed comparison to assist in making an informed decision based on individual use and preference — divorced from the marketing speak or online advocates of one brand or another.

I have no doubt that Stanley, Roger, and you will all enjoy your new monitors and put them to good use!

Last edited:

Knorp

Several week ago, I complained that processing my 150 mpx images had slowed down my trashcan computer to a crawl especially when stitching those large tiff's into panoramas and stacking large files in Helicon.
Help came from members who suggested Mac Studio as a solution. I patiently waited five weeks for the Mac Studio to arrive and suffered the pain of transferring all of my software to the new computer which required upgrading and repurchasing lots of software.
It was worth it! I can now process files in seconds that were taking me several minutes; thunderbolt 3 is enabling me to download huge amount of data in a flash.
Thank you to those of you on this forum who advised me to make this change and to the folks at Eizo and Apple who helped an 83 year old guy find the needed cables and adapters to make this happen.
Stanley
Good for you, Stanley !
I already have the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, Studio Display, OWC-dock in house and this Friday my Mac Studio should be delivered to my doorstep.
This lot is going to replace my late 2013 27" iMAC.

All the best.

Knorp

Good for you, Stanley !
I already have the Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, Studio Display, OWC-dock in house and this Friday my Mac Studio should be delivered to my doorstep.
This lot is going to replace my late 2013 27" iMAC.

All the best.
Correction - my Mac Studio has been delivered today ... 🍀

algrove

Stanley
I found it beneficial to daisy chain a few of my many externals to my Studio from time to time which saves port space. I like to have the front ports empty for using small external SSD's like 8TB or smaller.