The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro and X1D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just back in Spain from spending a full month in Sweden. I have been looking forward going back because I knew my new X1D -> Alpa adaptor was waiting for me.

This is the very first configuration I have done and it works perfect like this :thumbup: Here I get both tilt and swing at the same time. Nice.
I have plenty of ideas to take this further so I will keep you posted if any of those ideas work!

Sure looks like a solution looking for a problem! :ROTFL:

P. Chong

Sorry I am late to this thread.

On the H system, the HC120/4 Macro works well with extension tubes. Hasselblad makes 3 of them, and are stackable. I have the medium and large (26 and 52mm) and stacked on top of each other gives 78mm extension. This combination with the 120/4 will provide about 2x magnification. It does get very close to the subject, and lighting could be an issue. But I have done pictures for a coffee table book printed full bleed across a double page spread with good results.

I have a question though, if the HX adapter is used, will the base HC120/4 work for 1:1? And will the extension tubes work?

Godfrey

danlindberg: That's a cool looking setup! Probably way over my pay grade...

I think the X1D, fired remotely via WiFi and its app from my phone, would do fine for my macro and close up work using the 120 macro lens and a couple of 2-element close up lenses. Canon and Leica both make excellent, well corrected close up lenses; I have a pair of R system ELPRO lenses that I adapt to a range of R and M mount lenses.

I bet using the Leica M to X mount adapter, it would do reasonably well with my R system macro lenses and bellows accessories as well, even better if I could find a Leica R to X mount adapter for high magnifications (with a Summicron-R 50mm lens on the bellows, I can achieve 2.7:1 at full extension). Format coverage is rarely a problem at macro magnifications, but vignetting is.

G

Godfrey

can an old macro closeup system with bellows for hasselbald 500cm do its job on a x1d ?
I'm pretty sure that will work using the e-shutter capability of the X1D with the V to XCD mount adapter.

Same for using my Fotodiox Leica R to XCD mount adapter and using my Leica R macro lenses and bellows. I'll be testing this setup with the 907x when it arrives.

G

jng

can an old macro closeup system with bellows for hasselbald 500cm do its job on a x1d ?
It depends on what final magnification you're trying to achieve, but I find that the auto bellows works quite well within the constraints of the electronic shutter.

Here it is with the 135/5.6 Makro-Planar, which can focus from infinity down to 1:1:

X1D 135 Makro-Planar.jpg

But my favorite macro lens in my collection is the 120/5.6 S-Planar. Here it is in action, together with the integrated compendium lens shade:

X1D 120 S-Planar.jpg

Lately I've been using the S-Planar with extension tubes and mounting the whole rig on a macro rail, which allows more precise movements than the adjustments on the Hasselblad auto bellows. In either case, unmounting the lens typically winds up firing the shutter unless you mount the whole contraption on a 500 series body first. No big worries for me as I have the screwdriver-like tool (from Fotodiox?) and simply re-cock the shutter afterwards.

John

rimom

Sorry I am late to this thread.

On the H system, the HC120/4 Macro works well with extension tubes. Hasselblad makes 3 of them, and are stackable. I have the medium and large (26 and 52mm) and stacked on top of each other gives 78mm extension. This combination with the 120/4 will provide about 2x magnification. It does get very close to the subject, and lighting could be an issue. But I have done pictures for a coffee table book printed full bleed across a double page spread with good results.

I have a question though, if the HX adapter is used, will the base HC120/4 work for 1:1? And will the extension tubes work?
I used the folowing setup with : x1d-+fodiox 52mm extension tube+ xhadapter+ 20mm ext tube+120mm macro , works great

Godfrey

I've done a number of sessions now using the 907x for close-up and macro photography:

• 907x + R to X Adapter (R>XA) (+ Leica Macro Adapter-R) + Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm
  • 907x + R>XA + Leica Summicron-R 50mm + ELPRO VIb
  • 907x + XCD45P + 67 to Series VII step-down + ELPRO VIIa/VIIb
  • 907x + XV Adapter + Makro-Planar CF 120mm

All of these work, the first and last are easiest to set up and use. In the macro range, at magnifications of about 1:3 or greater, there's little to no vignetting using the Leica lenses on the full format, and none on a square crop format.

I've tested the CFVII 50c + 500CM + ext tube 21+52 + Makro-Planar CF 120mm as well and that works beautifully, but I haven't tried this on the 907x body with the XV Adapter: The XV Adapter has a problem in that the lens bayonet latch won't engage with the V-system extension tubes. It is currently at Hasselblad Service to remedy this problem. This setup nets just shy of 1:1 magnification, maximum.

I haven't had a chance to test using the Leica Focusing Bellows R yet, I'm interested to see what and how much vignetting that might cause. I have the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm, the Elmarit-R 135mm, the Elmar-R 180mm, the Summicron-R 90mm, and Summicron-R 50mm lenses to experiment with using that configuration as well. I also want to try the Elmarit-R 135 with the ELPRO close-up lenses on this body.

Of course, the X1D body can be swapped in instead of the 907x body for all of these.
Lots of Macro fun possible! :)

G

nikonf

I just got my Hasselblad X1D and I would like to use it with the electronic shutter and one of my APO machine vision lenses such as the Linos ispec.x 105mm f5.6 lens.
I purchased the Balpro X1D adapter and I mounted the X1D to the Novoflex Balpro Bellows. I mounted the 105mm f5.6 Linos lens to the front of the Balpro Bellows and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Live View to focus on the Orchid flower I am trying to photograph. I keep receiving an error message stating "No lens attached".
What am I doing wrong?
Sorry for being such a fool.....

Arjuna

Main Menu (button with three horizontal lines), Exposure (optionally Camera Settings (Camera icon)-> Exposure, scroll to Shutter Function, set Electronic Shutter on (check mark in box).

nikonf

Main Menu (button with three horizontal lines), Exposure (optionally Camera Settings (Camera icon)-> Exposure, scroll to Shutter Function, set Electronic Shutter on (check mark in box).
Thank you very much for your most prompt reply! I am going to try it in 10 minutes, as soon as the "Boss" goes to sleep. :)

sog1927

all the best
That's what I use. X1D + (non-Hasselblad) V adapter + bellows (and tubes if required) + RMS->V adapter + Leitz Photar/Zeiss Luminar. Stuck with the e-shutter, which is occasionally problematic. If Hasselblad made a reasonable V adapter (one that could trip the lens shutter on a C/CF/CFe/CFi lens) then I could use my Hasselblad microscope shutter and flash. ;)

rjones

While I don't have much interest in > 1x magnification, after reading this thread, I was wondering if anyone has tried using the TECHART TCX-01 X1D adapter with a Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 lens for 1-5x magnification? (There is a 3D printer diffuser offered for this lens that could simplify illumination of small objects.) The 65mm lenses are often sold with a tripod ring, making the whole setup rather compact, sturdy and not so expensive.

P. Chong

I have used the MP-65...natively on a Canon, it is a pain to shoot at full magnification. As it is a 65mm lens, the working distance is very small at 5X, and lighting the subject could be a real issue. Also, at that magnification, DOF is almost microscopic, and a very difficult to use. I abandoned the idea after trying out a friend's on my 1DS3 some 10 years ago.

While I don't have much interest in > 1x magnification, after reading this thread, I was wondering if anyone has tried using the TECHART TCX-01 X1D adapter with a Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 lens for 1-5x magnification? (There is a 3D printer diffuser offered for this lens that could simplify illumination of small objects.) The 65mm lenses are often sold with a tripod ring, making the whole setup rather compact, sturdy and not so expensive.

rjones

Sounds like not a good experience, but you don't have to only use the 65mm at 5x since its variable (1x to 5x), which provides greater flexibility as compared to other options discussed in this thread. Also, the 1DS3's resolution, monitor and live view are inferior to the X1D, so maybe not so applicable.

I used to own the 65mm, but sold it a couple of years ago on leaving the EF ecosystem (and only recently acquired an X1D2), so I can't comment on its use on the X1D. While the 65mm is a MF lens (so even a dumb adapter would work), another unknown is if the TECHART adapter allows camera control of the aperture. It should; but if not, the 65mm would only shoot wide open.

And speaking of other discussed options, the Zeiss Luminar 16mm (10x-40x), 25mm (6x-20x), and 40mm (4x-10x), quoted in an earlier post, have working distances (and lighting issues) even more minuscule (and are probably more expensive and cumbersome to use) than the Canon 65mm. Use of the diffuser I referenced could help with the lighting, so maybe the 65mm is a viable option for some > 1:1 users.