The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks, and yes you are right, Corlan, it needs some more space to get the swing.

Here's a somewhat vertical version

I think maybe I prefer just to put some more space around it and let it stay horizontal, showing the branch coming from the left

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/400 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Steen,
sorry for not being clear: what i actually meant by "vertical" was 90° rotation CCW :)
Combined with the small correction on the right edge as in your last version.

Or with the same rotation, square format is nice too (i've just tried quickly).

Anyway, nice photo -it's simply the butterfly facing downwards...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Haha, now I see what you mean, Corlan.
And you might not be amused with these ones ...
I apologize for their uncontrolled and improper behaviour :D

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • at f/5.6 ISO 200

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
At least this lady dressed in white has good manners, not at all like the above Captain Blackbaird and his gang :)

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/1000 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Haha, now I see what you mean, Corlan.
And you might not be amused with these ones ...
I apologize for their uncontrolled and improper behaviour :D

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • at f/5.6 ISO 200

Why, why does my neck hurt ? :confused:

At least this lady dressed in white has good manners, not at all like the above Captain Blackbaird and his gang :)

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/1000 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200
That's a relief indeed :)

Btw, very nice, all of them! :toocool:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
yet another upside down fella ...

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/25 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 400

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Missed this terrifyingly terrific spider shot.
Do you have these in Scandinavia ? :confused:

Not a lot of posts lately on this thread... here's a simple red bouquet:
(no saturation applied either in-camera or PP)

Leica 77

Missed this terrifyingly terrific spider shot.
Do you have these in Scandinavia ? :confused:

Not a lot of posts lately on this thread... here's a simple red bouquet:
(no saturation applied either in-camera or PP)

Hello Corlan F.,
Beautiful natural colors! All the best, Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Lovely bouquet bokeh, Corlan :thumbup:

And yes, my spider was a common European garden spider / cross spider from our own garden here in Denmark.
And it's actually not all that big, something like one inch from finger to toe, a small male. I just went very close and also cropped the image heavily afterwards :)

woodyspedden

Hi There
it's the time of year for macros (at least in the North). Everything is fresh and green.

I'll get started - here are a few from the D3 with the nikon 105 AFS VR - all on continuous focus (single point) auto ISO (I like it easy!).

Bracken and blue flower (shame on me)

Yesterday it was a red tulip!

Apple blossom is just the best!

This is the only one with any serious photoshop (in fact it's from 3 shots)

Actually, maybe tulips are the best :)

Love Lies Bleeding - the cliche of the year! (my take on it)

Catch it! Catch it! . . . . dammit, missed
Jono

Glad to see that you are back. Believe me, you were sorely missed!

Hope you had a good "resting" period.

Best

Woody

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi L77, thanks for the encouragement. I have to sort out an issue here, since i got my new screen i sometimes experience discrepancies in saturation (visually) between NX2 and PS CS4 and forum display... like on this one.

Lovely bouquet bokeh, Corlan :thumbup:

And yes, my spider was a common European garden spider / cross spider from our own garden here in Denmark.
And it's actually not all that big, something like one inch from finger to toe, a small male. I just went very close and also cropped the image heavily afterwards :)
Hi Steen, thanks for the information. Not being too much of a spider connoisseur (and don't do macro on spiders... ne-ver) this one looked exotic enough to me. Now i'll have to check if what we have on the premises look as "inviting". :confused:

Leica 77

yet another upside down fella ...

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/25 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 400
Hello bondo,
I agree with Corlan F., that I am not a connoisseur of spiders either. However, your image is more artistic than zoological and has a certain appeal to non-connoisseurs. The image produced by the combination of your Nikon D300 + Zeiss ZF 100mm is sharp and has beautiful details. The saturation of colors is perfect! Cheers! Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot for the kind words, Leica 77.

I agree that the D300 with Zeiss ZF lenses has turned out to be a very fortunate combination, at least for me.
For the first time in the digital era I'm very satisfied with what I've got.

Here's an obviously very popular flower, this time with the Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G lens.

Nikon D300 • Nikon AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/200 sec. at f/8 ISO 200

Leica 77

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Leica 77.

I agree that the D300 with Zeiss ZF lenses has turned out to be a very fortunate combination, at least for me.
For the first time in the digital era I'm very satisfied with what I've got.
Hello bondo,
I can also relate to what you said -- "For the first time in the digital era I'm very satisfied with what I've got." For me, the combination of the D300 with various Nikkor lenses, especially the AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR, has given me much satisfaction. Initially, I had to try different Picture Control settings with the D300. Finally, I can get "Velvia" like color qualities through my current settings. I am also using the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (ver. 2.4). All the best, Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Recently, however, I downloaded the Nikon D2X color modes on to my Nikon D300 through one of the official Nikon websites. Nowadays, I frequently use the D2X "Color Mode I" in my D300. (...)
Leica, I completely agree with you on the usefulness of the Capture NX profiles for Nikon NEF files: the Picture Control modes.
And I also agree with you about the color acuracy of D2Xmode1, especially I have found it is the perfect mode for true and accurate rendition of subtle landscape colors like for example in cloudy weather, which sometimes can be tricky to get right.
For this diadem spider I chose the Neutral Picture Control mode.

Garden spider, diadem spider, or cross spider (lat.: Araneus diadematus)

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/200 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

If you are about to be eaten by such a fellow it's most likely a somewhat backlit experience :lecture:

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/50 sec. at f/8 ISO 400

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Steen, terrifyi... er, terrific close ups.
Btw this time i can guarantee we don't have these in our gardens down south. No way. :rolleyes:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh yes, you dooo ... :angel:

webphone home

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/25 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Well i've looked everywhere in the garden and no opportunity to get such a good subject (and very nice shot btw).

So i permanently decided that there was no spiders in my area. :angel:

Found this, though:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Poor little creature stuck in the web.
Where there is a web, there is - or has been - a spider :angel:
Nice macro captures, Corlan :)