The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Magnifying glass Live view PO IQ3 50 MP

spassig

Hello
Does anyone have a suggestion for a mobile magnifying glass that also covers the entire display?
I sometimes have problems to judge the sharpness of a zoomed view in bright ambient light.

Jochen

docholliday

Hello
Does anyone have a suggestion for a mobile magnifying glass that also covers the entire display?
I sometimes have problems to judge the sharpness of a zoomed view in bright ambient light.

Jochen
A Hasselblad V waist level finder is what I use on my IQ backs. I can fold it down when not in use, use it as a hood, or pop up the mag when needed. It doesn't cover the diplay, but I rarely view the screen unless I have a feeling that the focus was missed or the subject moved. I've also used my wide-brimmed Tilley T3 as a shade.

If you truly want a bulky finder mag, the closest is the Hoodman HM32, but it is bulky. Finding one that fits the screen properly is the key, as the closest would be for 4x5 film, but those are larger, bulkier, and usually transparent at the base.

If you don't need the mag, just a shield, you could use one of the sun shield style (pretty much a cloth/plastic waist level finder) like the Vello Umbra protector popup shades.

Steve Hendrix

Hello

Jochen
You might also consider the Cambo 3x Loupe. You would want the CS-28, which is made for 3.2" LCD (they offer different sizes). This kit has a frame that you can keep on the IQ350, and the loupe clicks into the frame for when you wish to use it. Or you can bypass the frame completely and just hold it up to the LCD. What makes the CS-28 loupe stand apart from others is the quality of the glass itself, which has tremendous clarity, and the loupe chassis, which presents a complete view of the LCD without having to angle your viewing perspective.

https://www.cambo.com/en/dslr-support-rigs/cs-30-loupe-system/cs-28-loupe-set/

buildbot

The Zacuto 3.2 pro finder almost works, you can see the whole screen at least. This is my setup on my IQ3:
IMG_2044.jpg
I don't know how the Cambo one attaches, but at least with the zacuto one I had to 3d print an adapter to extend the mount for the loupe far enough from the tripod mount to clear the back.

The Cambo solution looks much slicker, but this was 35$ used from MPB and I figured it would be fun to try. Makes live view focusing in sunlight super easy, though if you depend on 100% enlargement for critical focus, you have to take of the loupe to zoom in...

Steve Hendrix

The Cambo CS-28 attaches to a plastic frame that adheres to the rear of the digital back. And the loupe then just clicks in place. There is no necessary hardware to attach to the bottom.

anwarp

A Hasselblad V waist level finder is what I use on my IQ backs. I can fold it down when not in use, use it as a hood, or pop up the mag when needed. It doesn't cover the diplay, but I rarely view the screen unless I have a feeling that the focus was missed or the subject moved. I've also used my wide-brimmed Tilley T3 as a shade.
This is a great idea! I tried the waist level finder from my RZ and it works very well - I can see the entire display properly. I have a spare one lying around. I'm going to attach something soft at the bottom, not to scratch the back and keep it in my bag.

Thanks for the tip!

The Zacuto 3.2 pro finder almost works, you can see the whole screen at least. This is my setup on my IQ3:
View attachment 176659
I don't know how the Cambo one attaches, but at least with the zacuto one I had to 3d print an adapter to extend the mount for the loupe far enough from the tripod mount to clear the back.

The Cambo solution looks much slicker, but this was 35$ used from MPB and I figured it would be fun to try. Makes live view focusing in sunlight super easy, though if you depend on 100% enlargement for critical focus, you have to take of the loupe to zoom in...
I use a Zacuto Z-finder that i had from the Canon days as a loupe as well. works great.

docholliday

This is a great idea! I tried the waist level finder from my RZ and it works very well - I can see the entire display properly. I have a spare one lying around. I'm going to attach something soft at the bottom, not to scratch the back and keep it in my bag.

Thanks for the tip!
I used one from one of my old RB bodies a while back. You can use craft self-adhesive felt or furniture protector style felt to line the bottom. The mamiya finders have that bit of space underneath that's great for stuffing felt into! The other thing you can use is a silicone baking sheet liner. Just cut some strips and glue to the finder bottom with a urethane glue. The silicone will pick up less dirt that could potentially scratch the display/screen protector and gives it a bit more friction to hold onto the screen without sliding around.

The RB/Z finders are heavier and bulkier. I have one of the 503 WLFs with magnetic strips on the bottom and some adhesive magnetic strips stuck on one of my backs so that I can just pop the finder on there. It holds well with the right magnets, but the RB one was a bit too heavy and was only good handheld.