The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Malefic 6x17 camera - experiences?

KC_2020

The 6x17 version was made by a hobbyist (Shawn) who worked with the original Kraken designer (Graham Young) to make the camera wider. That Esty page says he's paying a license fee to sell them (I see he also prints and sells the 612 version).
Ah, I missed that part, obviously. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

ggibson

Seems the acquisition has been completed, and the new owner is taking orders on the 617 and cones once again:

Very reasonable pricing. I may pick up a 150mm cone after I find a lens. I find 90mm is very wide to compose on 6x17.

anyone

Seems the acquisition has been completed, and the new owner is taking orders on the 617 and cones once again:

Very reasonable pricing. I may pick up a 150mm cone after I find a lens. I find 90mm is very wide to compose on 6x17.
Nice to see its available again, at least for those of us who live in US:) I’ll stick to 90mm though, I like the one-lens-outfit.

anyone

In my camera, the film seems to be a bit off-centered, so there is more space on the top of the film than on the bottom. Does anyone have the same experience and/ or an idea to avoid this issue?

Trogster

In my camera, the film seems to be a bit off-centered, so there is more space on the top of the film than on the bottom. Does anyone have the same experience and/ or an idea to avoid this issue?

It sounds like an issue with the method you use to load the film. If the film isn't fully seated at the base, you'll have 'space' at the top where the film doesn't get exposed.

While loading your film, you need to ensure that both spools are fully seated, and you'll need to reach into the camera body and ensure that the film is fully seated along it's track. Takes a bit of practice.

ggibson

Heads up that on 7/18, Malefic is opening up orders for their new 6x12 camera.

I ran some film through my 6x17 on a recent trip, which was fun. The biggest thing that keeps me from using this camera more is cost. With film and development, it works out to around $8 per shot. Maybe I should try shooting mine with the 6x12 mask so I can get 6 shots per roll.

anyone

Heads up that on 7/18, Malefic is opening up orders for their new 6x12 camera.

I ran some film through my 6x17 on a recent trip, which was fun. The biggest thing that keeps me from using this camera more is cost. With film and development, it works out to around $8 per shot. Maybe I should try shooting mine with the 6x12 mask so I can get 6 shots per roll.
I like both panoramic formats, the 6x17 being a bit more extreme. But it does consume a lot of film and the large negative/ slide is too much for my printing needs, even though I like it. Guess the XPAN popularity comes from somewhere: 24x65mm is also respectable in terms of resolution. However, a possibility at hand is to use either 6x12 with a 2:1 aspect ratio or crop later.

ggibson

I like both panoramic formats, the 6x17 being a bit more extreme. But it does consume a lot of film and the large negative/ slide is too much for my printing needs, even though I like it. Guess the XPAN popularity comes from somewhere: 24x65mm is also respectable in terms of resolution. However, a possibility at hand is to use either 6x12 with a 2:1 aspect ratio or crop later.
That makes sense. I agree, the XPAN frame would be enough for me too if the camera itself were more affordable.

anyone

One approach is to use 35mm film in a medium format camera like the Hasselblad. Tried that years ago - it worked, but it felt somewhat 'wrong' to take the large Hasselblad body and not use to its full potential. However, I may try that with an old Isolette folder with Solinar lens!

And the Presspan (https://emulsive.org/reviews/camera...lad-xpan-alternative-introducing-the-presspan) seems to be another XPAN alternative. While it's pretty cool, it would be too pricy for my taste. You can shoot many 6x17cm frames for the price of the camera ...

Last edited:

ggibson

One approach is to use 35mm film in a medium format camera like the Hasselblad. Tried that years ago - it worked, but it felt somewhat 'wrong' to take the large Hasselblad body and not use to its full potential. However, I may try that with an old Isolette folder with Solinar lens!

And the Presspan (https://emulsive.org/reviews/camera...lad-xpan-alternative-introducing-the-presspan) seems to be another XPAN alternative. While it's pretty cool, it would be too pricy for my taste. You can shoot many 6x17cm frames for the price of the camera ...
I've done the 35mm in my Hasselblad 503cx too. The biggest problem I had doing this on a Hassy is the vertical film orientation makes the camera very awkward to shoot normal panoramic images and basically requires a prism viewfinder. That, and it's not quite as wide as XPAN. I might try it again sometime, but it felt like somewhat of a novelty.

Thanks for the Presspan link, that is really interesting and pretty cool looking project.

anyone

I've done the 35mm in my Hasselblad 503cx too. The biggest problem I had doing this on a Hassy is the vertical film orientation makes the camera very awkward to shoot normal panoramic images and basically requires a prism viewfinder. That, and it's not quite as wide as XPAN. I might try it again sometime, but it felt like somewhat of a novelty.

Thanks for the Presspan link, that is really interesting and pretty cool looking project.
As a fun Saturday project, I was repairing my old Isolette folder and loaded a 35mm film. The 80mm lens is of course a limitation, but I'm curious about the results! It doesn't face the issue with the vertical film orientation.

Next to the Presspan, the Fauxpan ( https://www.35mmc.com/22/06/2020/fauxpan-just-another-diy-35mm-panorama-camera-by-freeman-lin/ ) is another cool project of this guy. It's a bit overdone image circle wise to use large format lenses, but the approach is really interesting. By using an existing camera body, the feel might be quite a bit nicer than a 3D-print-only solution. Here is a Schneider 58mm XL lens sitting in my closet waiting to be used...

ggibson

Yeah the areas I feel could be improved with the Malefic are the film loading and winding, as well as ensuring the film stays as flat as possible. Building these using an existing body seems to solve that.