The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Malefic 6x17 camera - experiences?

ggibson

I did end up buying a Fujinon 150/5.6 and ordered the cone from Malefic. I'm excited to try it out!

Also, I noticed that my film in this latest roll was slightly off-centered as described above (maybe 1mm lower than it should be). Not a big deal, but I suppose I'll need to take more care in loading next time. At least I didn't have any issues with the film flatness.

anyone

Nice ! Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Currently I'm in the process of building an XPAN alternative... let's see how this project turns out :)

ggibson

I should receive it soon, probably next week. I loaded a roll with the 90/8 on, so I need to shoot that first!

My Sony camera which I use for scanning is at Precision for shutter repair, so I've been on hold for digitizing my latest roll. I also have a new light source and film holder that I created that I'm excited to try out for 6x17. All this anticipation is building up!

anyone

Even though it's maybe slightly off-topic, but here is my new XPAN-tribute panoramic camera.
I thought the GFX XPAN crop mode is appropriate to introduce it.

DSCF4863 web.jpg

ggibson

Cool! So is that a fauxpan? It looks like the SK 47/8 on it?

I finally got the shipping tracking today for the Malefic cone btw.

anyone

Basically I took a Lomography body (Sprocket Rocket), removed the lens and shutter, glued in a M42 thread, added a helicoid, and finally adding the Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 47mm / 8. Hope the image quality is good! The negative size is big enough for my printing needs and I should end up with 18 images per roll. The 24x72mm negative size is slightly wider than the XPAN.

If it all turns out well, I may add a Angulon 90mm or Symmar 100/135 too.

It was a fun project!

ggibson

I wonder if that is a small light leak.
You might be right. It does look potentially more like a leak than flare.

Loading the film on this camera can be a challenge. Could be a simple error with that process where the spool unwound a bit.

Pretty sure the camera itself is light tight otherwise. I've never seen a leak on any other shot with this camera (granted, I only have ever shot a handful of rolls on it). It could possibly be that I left the frame viewing window open accidentally, but again I've never had an issue otherwise.

ggibson

I received my new cone and installed my Fuji 150mm W in it last night also! I have a roll of E100 in progress that I need to finish before I can mount it though. I suppose I could swap in the dark, but it would probably be smarter to make sure infinity is calibrated correctly first.