The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 300 mm F4.5 IF APO lens

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I used to own this lens when I had a Phase One P45 and it was excellent on that MFDB.
Has anybody used it on the IQ4 150 back? I'm interested in getting a bit more reach than the Phase 240mm. I don't care much about corner resolution - this is for wildlife, not landscapes.
Any input welcomed.
Bill

Mamiya AFAPO 300 mm F4.5 on P45, wide openCF000896-Edit.jpg

cunim

To answer my own question, the Mamiya works just fine on the IQ4-150. I obtained a used one from my dealer. The extreme corners may not be as good as the Phase 240 wide open and it doesn't focus as close - but it's a bit lighter and does have the extra reach I wanted.
Bill, nice shot. If you got that from B3K, it's my old lens. Had it for years but never got around to using it.

stngoldberg

Here are two images taken a minutes apart with the 240mmPhase one and the 300mm Mamiya...Both images had my Mamiya 2X attached to the lenses using the IQ 150 back…manual focus of course as auto focus is not active with the 2X
Stanley

mamiya 300mm.jpgphase 240mm.jpg

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Regarding the above post, obviously the Mamiya 300mm lens is the top image. I'm surprised the Mamiya compares favorably.

Stanley

JoelM

The Manual focus Mamiya 645 lenses are also fantastic. I use the 200 f2.8 APO and the 300 f2.8 APO lenses on the Leica S. The standard A and C lenses like the 300mm f5.6 and the 150mm f2.8 also give really good results.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I find myself reaching for the 300mm Mamiya, while leaving the 240mm phase one on the shelf…just don’t see a difference in sharpness
Stanley

BTW..kudos to the folks on this boat…the temperature is barely 50 degrees…it’s blowing 25 knots and they have three sails up…I hope they have their winter woolies on

View attachment 203691
I agree - unless you want the leaf shutter, the Mamiya is just as good.