The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ67 lens cable release

stevev

I've bought a Mamiya RZ67 50mm ULD lens and a Cambo Actus G, with the RZ67 lens plate. The camera body is a Nikon Z7.

As I understand it, since I will using the focal plane shutter in the Z7, the shutter in the lens needs to be set to remain open.

Following the instructions with the RZ plate, I've rotated a pair of silver pins at the rear of the lens. The remainder of the instructions say:

"The shutter will be closed, but after setting it to T you can open it with a cable release. After that it can remain open and you'll be able to use the aperture ring."

I have set the switch on the lens barrel to T, but I don't have a cable release for a RZ67 lens. Will any cable release do the trick, is there an alternative method of opening the shutter, or will I have to find the correct style of cable release i.e. on eBay?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Steve.

MartinN

A threaded normal mechanical cable release should do. Almost any old. For using the lens normally with a RZ body the lens shutter relase should be ’released’. The lens shutter release can either be ’triggered’ for T operation or normal. The operation is to carefully turn the release about a turn with help of the attatched cable release.

stevev

Martin,

That worked - thanks!

I'm very pleased with the image quality of the 50mm ULD. It is clearly a step or two above the Pentax 67 (late model) 55mm f/4 lens that I was using on a Fotodiox TLT ROKR adapter previously (on a Z7).

And my first trip out with the newly arrived Cambo Actus G yesterday morning was a revelation. In combination with the Artists Viewfinder Mark II on my iPhone I feel that I finally have a setup that lets me visualise and capture the panoramic images that I have otherwise struggled to make.

Thanks again for your help.

cambo.jpg