The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

docholliday

just wondering, anyone using coffee to develop film? If yes, please show some results.
I used to run some Caffenol back in the late 90s when I had a pile of way expired Panatomic-X. Mixed my batch out of Taster's Choice Crystals, sodium carbonate, and ascorbic acid. Negs resulted in fairly contrasty prints, so printed on Agfa paper in split development of LPD and Selectol-Soft, then selenium toned the paper.

The negs are buried somewhere in a box. One of these days, I'll have to find them and do some scans.

dave.gt

just wondering, anyone using coffee to develop film? If yes, please show some results.
Funny you should ask at this particular time. :)

I have been wanting to use caffeinol developer for a long time but just haven't found the time.

I will be looking for replies to inspire me!:)

dave.gt

Yes, I need at least two cups before going into the darkroom...

Oh, you mean use coffee to develop film in? ;)

(Your English is perfect, I just need a cup of coffee.)
Coffee has two primary uses in photography.

1. It is the officially recognized focusing fluid of photographers. Without it, we aren't that sharp and rely on photoshop too much.

2. It is the main ingredient in caffeinol. Without it, our world would be diminished somewhat as we would not see some remarkable images on photography websites.

Mix the two, and I am certain creativity will result!

buildbot

I recently picked up a mamiya afd and hm401 back just to play around with caffenol myself! And possibly try seeing if I can’t wrangle it to work with the XF somehow haha…

Shashin

Coffee has two primary uses in photography.

1. It is the officially recognized focusing fluid of photographers. Without it, we aren't that sharp and rely on photoshop too much.

2. It is the main ingredient in caffeinol. Without it, our world would be diminished somewhat as we would not see some remarkable images on photography websites.

Mix the two, and I am certain creativity will result!
Just don't confuse the Caffienol with the coffee! Either for the film or yourself!! You just don't know what you could develop or whether it can be fixed...(no pun intended)

MartinN

I had so much good tea in my cupboard, so when working from home I skipped going to the shop for those beans that disappear faster than fast in the grinder. I have now ejoyed my selection of tea for about half a year and this beverage keeps me satisfied during the work hours.

Last edited:

dave.gt

I had so much good tea in my cupboard, so when working from home I skipped going to the shop for those beans that disappear faster than fast in the grinder. I have now ejoyed my selection of tea for about half a year and this beverage keeps me satisfied during the work hours.
Anyone tried Tea for developer?:)

MartinN

Anyone tried Tea for developer?:)
Probably not strong enough, but I am a bit concerned of using caffeinated beverages as focusing fluids. Nobody getting shaky hands ? I heard top musicians are not allowed caffeine before playing. ;)

dave.gt

Ah, caffeinated fluids for impressionistic photographs. So, that is what I'm doing wrong....LOL.

Who needs expensive fast lenses then?

dave.gt

George,
Just checking in before calling it a day. That is a nice photo... and it looks just like my desk!!!:):):)

Now I can't wait for morning and a cup of coffee myself! LOL...

MartinN

Coffee machines and equipment need strong cleaners indeed, but be sure to wash away the detergent residues very carefully, otherwise some unexpected may result !