The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

dave.gt

It has a beautiful finish, I am looking forward to using it as cooler weather arrives... Can't wait!:)

The black Bialetti moka pot has become my favorite so far!

dave.gt

:)

My head is spinning with the images of such sophisticated coffee machines! Wow!

My simple life has just had a small boost in sophistication.., unfortunately not in actually making espresso but in how to enjoy an espresso dessert before a film developing session like yesterday.

Affogato espresso!

Simply, it is an Italian delicacy made by "drowning" gelato or ice cream in one's choice of espresso.

How the combination of the two unleash such an awesome flood of flavors is surprising!!! Awesome!

Now I have added a sweet chapter to my newly found daily espresso break!

Perhaps now I will have the caffeine and sugar boosts that I will need for a few marathon MF film developing experiences in the weeks ahead.:)

jeffreybehr

I'm Italian, thus for me it is always and only "espresso". ;)

This little machine accompanied me for the last 15 years now, without any failure or special maintenance. It is nothing special, but after all those years I know how to squeeze the maximum IQ out of it.
The coffee powder is freshly ground for each cup. The fine-coarse setup is changed according to the current weather humidity and pressure. I had to customize the grinder a little bit in order to have more reach to the "fine" levels.
A good cup of espresso must have a dense gold-cream on the surface, and the poured sugar (if any) must stay for a couple of seconds on the surface before sinking down.

Now I'm thinking of moving a step further by getting a coffee roaster, in order to personally curate that step as well.

You know what? It is time for a cup of coffee! :D

I love to read how people take so much care for their coffee, as it's SO different than my routine.. I do prefer full-bodied coffee (and NO cream or sugar spoiling it--YUK!) and NOT weak brews found too often in the US.. Also I use reverse-osmosis-filtered water.
And is is indeed time for another cup of coffee. :)

2021Nov02_DSF0185_Kuerig_1500h.jpg

dave.gt

Sudden realization… my practice film developing session was a failure as I overdid the agitation! Too aggressive!

I guess I will save the Affogato Espresso for after Film developing sessions! LOL…:)
Update!

It worked! Celebrating a less aggressive agitation process resulting in clean proper negs.:)

Developing under the Influence (DUI) is not recommended and may be detrimental to one's photographic well-being. Definitely don't drink and develop!!!

dave.gt

Caffenol is next!!!!:)

I have been wanting to try that for years.

Anyone here enjoying instant coffee and Vitamin C for their developing pleasure?:)

Hmmmm..
1. Medium Format, espresso.
2. Medium Format, Caffenol.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship...:)

This almost feels like a Casablanca Bogart moment. LOL... all in black and white, too!

Last edited:

dave.gt

The die is cast for tomorrow... I have reserved four frames on my film back to shoot the images posted above (not just to test which is better), but to see how different I would shoot with different formats.

I have the H5 viewfinder masked for square formats but I will probably not shoot with the WLF this time. Maybe later, I would like to shoot a whole roll with the WLF.

I am interested in developing the film, too because it is a different kind. As I enjoy my Moka, or my Keurig brews, I find each is a different experience. I am sure the 120 trial tomorrow will be just as refreshing.

I have a lot of film I need to shoot!!!:)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dante 1, Matt 0. Leica S(007), Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat, f/11, 1/45 second and at closest focus (and a tight crop, too - closest focus is 11 ft.) And what better subject?

One thing I've noticed about the SA's - they take sharpening REALLY well. I could get into the math, but it (probably) means that the bokeh disks are fairly smooth. Whoops - Bokeh Pentagons. Hmmm... The images look a little soft or low contrast OOC, but clean up extremely well. This example is almost unsharpened.

Matt

Last edited:

anyone

Dante 1, Matt 0. Leica S(007), Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat at closest focus (and a tight crop - close focus is 11 ft.) And what better subject?
Excellent choice, Matt! I love my Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat. It needs proper stabilisation, but once achieved, it's really an outstanding lens.

jng

Dante 1, Matt 0. Leica S(007), Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat, f/11, 1/45 second and at closest focus (and a tight crop, too - closest focus is 11 ft.) And what better subject?

One thing I've noticed about the SA's - they take sharpening REALLY well. I could get into the math, but it (probably) means that the bokeh disks are fairly smooth. Whoops - Bokeh Pentagons. Hmmm... The images look a little soft or low contrast OOC, but clean up extremely well. This example is almost unsharpened.

Matt
Nice one, Matt. N = 1 for me, but I found the 250 SA to be a bit softer (in a nice way) when shooting at close distance. And those pentagonal bokeh elements are a dead give-away! Have you tried shooting wide open to see how they render? A little focus stacking, perhaps?

John

EDIT: Still waking up and re-read your post - did you actually score a 350 Tele-Superachromat?!? Dante says "attaboy!"