The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice one, Matt. N = 1 for me, but I found the 250 SA to be a bit softer (in a nice way) when shooting at close distance. And those pentagonal bokeh elements are a dead give-away! Have you tried shooting wide open to see how they render? A little focus stacking, perhaps?

John

EDIT: Still waking up and re-read your post - did you actually score a 350 Tele-Superachromat?!? Dante says "attaboy!"
Yes and yes. Wide open is gorgeous, but hard to get sharp. With careful focusing, it is sharp from f/5.6 to f/11, with very slight softening to f/16. Quite remarkable. Wide open is a bit lower contrast, but it still out resolves my (admittedly not very high density) sensor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jng

dave.gt

Wow, I’m really enjoying these images if coffee and machines. Thanks to everyone!:p

Wait… I am not sophisticated in the way of “the coffee connoisseur” so I pose a dumb question:

A coffee cup/glass with volume measure marks in ml? I need to learn more about all of these machines!

I’m so far below that bar with my Bialetti Moka pot and old Jaguar coffee cup as to be honest enough to ask in hopes of learning more about real coffee preparation!:):):)

Yes, I am still stuck in the dark ages with a Keurig Mini, a moka pot (2), and a pour over contraption! Augmented of course with Starbucks gift cards.:):):)

Hmmm… what does “real” coffee taste like?

I finished a roll of BW 120 film yesterday so I will load up with some Tri-X and search for some local baristas to talk with and see what I can glean from a few captures on film.:)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wow, I’m really enjoying these images if coffee and machines. Thanks to everyone!:p

Wait… I am not sophisticated in the way of “the coffee connoisseur” so I pose a dumb question:

A coffee cup/glass with volume measure marks in ml? I need to learn more about all of these machines!

I’m so far below that bar with my Bialetti Moka pot and old Jaguar coffee cup as to be honest enough to ask in hopes of learning more about real coffee preparation!:):):)

Yes, I am still stuck in the dark ages with a Keurig Mini, a moka pot (2), and a pour over contraption! Augmented of course with Starbucks gift cards.:):):)

Hmmm… what does “real” coffee taste like?

I finished a roll of BW 120 film yesterday so I will load up with some Tri-X and search for some local baristas to talk with and see what I can glean from a few captures on film.:)
Dave,

Espresso is often measured in ml, or ounces, but usually no more than 2. A lot of people now use digital scales, as volume is seen as less precise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Typical espresso "doubles" are 15g to 21g of coffee in and 25g to 40gr out. There are folks who go way beyond these limits, just as in photography :cool:. I'm a boring 17g in, 32g out or thereabouts.

Oh, and the shot glass isn't for drinking! It's for dumping into the "customer's" cup, usually before adding the milk. ;)

Matt

nalye

Actually I do drink directly from the shot glass since it's at home and no one cares 😁
And yes, I also am boring with a 17g in and 34g out in 30s game... The black thing under the glass is a Felicita Arc scale.

P. Chong

My espressos are typically 14.5g in, 30-32g out, depending on beans. Typically an extraction recipe of 1:2 is considered espresso. 1:1 a ristretto. and above 1:3 is considered a lungo. Shot timing is usually 25-30s, though I sometimes like longer draws up to 40s, and a long preinfusion. An Americano is a shot of espresso diluted with hot water.

Last edited:

MartinN

Up it goes. My ECM burned its heater/boiler after a few years and I discovered that model was discontinued with no available spare parts. So up it went and to the metal recycling. Now I have a new machine ( not ECM), and am crossing my fingers. Sometimes expensive things are so devastating. Think about that.

anyone

Up it goes. My ECM burned its heater/boiler after a few years and I discovered that model was discontinued with no available spare parts. So up it went and to the metal recycling. Now I have a new machine ( not ECM), and am crossing my fingers. Sometimes expensive things are so devastating. Think about that.
Bummer. It's always sad to see when a company does not offer repairs. Which one did you choose now?

MartinN

Bummer. It's always sad to see when a company does not offer repairs. Which one did you choose now?
Ascaso Steel from a country not associated with espresso. :rolleyes: So far no problems. I was a cheapskate and chose the ’most affordable’ ECM which was not a good decision.

MartinN

Now I found that damned machine. It was ECM Botticelli II generation. Not bad at all, when operating and certainly not cheap for me. I still have both groups. They are functional and standard:)

Last edited:

MartinN

Damned repair boutique. They stated the heater is unavailable and I believed. Seems a company in Netherlands have a spare heater element. So unprofessional crew here in Finland. :( Too late though. Glad I did not try DIY repair, the overheating and malfunction was serious enough.

Last edited:

nalye

Have you tried contacting ECM directly? I once wrote an email to them and they did mail me a spare part. Granted, I also live in Germany but they should be able to do you a solid if you ask nicely.

MartinN

Have you tried contacting ECM directly? I once wrote an email to them and they did mail me a spare part. Granted, I also live in Germany but they should be able to do you a solid if you ask nicely.
No , I had the machine two times to a ’professional’ shop in Finland, and they stated no boiler was available, and my model was discontinued. I believed them. They were professinals.

P. Chong

I have had my Elektra Micro Casa a Leva pulling espresso almost every day for the last quarter century. It looks tired, wearing a heavy patina on its gold and brass body, but reliably delivers the goods. Needs some TLC (cleaning, new gaskets) every once in a while, but that’s it.

I am not a professional, but you should be able to replace the boiler in the ECM. Though a new machine is nice too! Dante will be happy.

Last edited:

dave.gt

I have had my Elektra Micro Casa a Leva pulling espresso almost every day for the last quarter century. It looks tired, wearing a heavy patina on its gold and brass body, but reliably delivers the goods. Needs some TLC (cleaning, new gaskets) every once in a while, but that’s it.

I am not a professional, but you should be able to replace the boiler in the ECM. Though a new machine is nice too! Dante will be happy.

P. Chong

no. Mine is a lever machine. Like this. iPhone pic taken about 8 years ago. The patina has become more pronounced now. And I modified the Mazzer grinder to a single dose machine

E54F9EE3-DC69-45BA-9AB2-ACD69FD9F632.jpeg

The boiler is exposed. And the machine gets real hot!