The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

dave.gt

Actually, to be more specific, a cup of regular coffee early in the morning an hour or so after getting up and starting my day works quite well. I cherish my quiet time each morning.:)

then, a Moka at home, or an espresso from the local coffee shop in the afternoon is good for the soul.

However, an impossible question: How does one find/obtain a “great” espresso? Obviously, I have little choice with only Starbucks in this town. I really haven’t found a good coffee house closer than Smyrna and that is an hour’s drive through the infamous Atlanta gridlock…is it possible to go low budget and buy a decent espresso machine and grinder and actually get a nice espresso?

Moka only goes so far. Starbucks single shot espresso is, sadly, my benchmark at the moment, but I am trying to rise above that.

What is the consensus regarding:

An Illy IperEspresso machine ($295):
F7109845-CE30-4A34-A30E-F74D6966FDA9.jpeg

Or, a Nespresso machine?

or any other?

and, of course, a discriminating Leica shooter must consider pairing a proper coffee machine with the right camera system, right?😂

Dave

dj may

Actually, to be more specific, a cup of regular coffee early in the morning an hour or so after getting up and starting my day works quite well. I cherish my quiet time each morning.:)

then, a Moka at home, or an espresso from the local coffee shop in the afternoon is good for the soul.

However, an impossible question: How does one find/obtain a “great” espresso? Obviously, I have little choice with only Starbucks in this town. I really haven’t found a good coffee house closer than Smyrna and that is an hour’s drive through the infamous Atlanta gridlock…is it possible to go low budget and buy a decent espresso machine and grinder and actually get a nice espresso?

Moka only goes so far. Starbucks single shot espresso is, sadly, my benchmark at the moment, but I am trying to rise above that.

What is the consensus regarding:

An Illy IperEspresso machine ($295):
View attachment 192740

Or, a Nespresso machine?

or any other?

and, of course, a discriminating Leica shooter must consider pairing a proper coffee machine with the right camera system, right?😂

Dave
Nespresso is the best choice I know for simplicity and flavor. There are many coffees to choose; espresso, lungo, ristretto, etc.

MartinN

Many cheap espresso ’machines’ (not nespresso) choke at finely ground coffee (or firm tamping). Some, do give crema, but not the real strength of extraction. My Krups gave lots of crema but not real crema.

dave.gt

Good thoughts!

Low budgets are the worst things sometimes. I am drowning in medical bills, but would rather affogato en cafe!

Maybe I can figure out this coffee thing after I sell my H5D-50c kit. Hard giving that up… but a decent espresso every day would go a long way to soothe the pain!🙁

MartinN

Without capsules, a Krups should go with pre ground espresso, and experimenting with grinding can be excessive.

MartinN

If looking at something a bit more expensive, you will eventually be suggested to go with a semi-professional machine, wait and see ;) , then you are with Dante again.

anyone

Nespresso is the best choice I know for simplicity and flavor. There are many coffees to choose; espresso, lungo, ristretto, etc.
It's the de facto standard in Switzerland ;-) and very simple to use/ maintain if you don't mind the higher price of consumables. The eco footprint is another issue. But your coffee won't go old easily, you don't need a grinder, ...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Good espresso best bang for buck is manual. @anyone's setup above is a great example. The Cafelat Robot also has a large and enthusiastic fan base. The problem is if you want to add steamed milk. Then you need something with a decent size boiler. The Breville dual boiler machines are standouts in the "anything cheaper is much worse and anything better is much more expensive" category (I'm just repeating what I read - no personal experience, although I really like our Breville toaster oven...).

But this really is Dante's domain. The latest La Marzocco *single* group machine is $15,000.

As others have said, Nespresso makes the best capsule coffee. It's my usual recommendation for people who just want a cup of coffee and don't want to do a lot of cleaning and maintenance. Like small inkjet printers, the machine is almost free, but the capsules can get expensive.

GeorgeBo

I took advantage of the unusually cool temperatures and low humidity for the middle of June and roasted some coffee outside this morning. Of course had to incorporate some photography in with it :)

Shot with a Bronica S (Nikkor) lens modified and adapted to use with the CFV II 50C back on a Cambo Actus. I posted a shot of this combo in the Behind the Scenes thread.

George

B9678811.jpg

dave.gt

Po
I took advantage of the unusually cool temperatures and low humidity for the middle of June and roasted some coffee outside this morning. Of course had to incorporate some photography in with it :)

Shot with a Bronica S (Nikkor) lens modified and adapted to use with the CFV II 50C back on a Cambo Actus. I posted a shot of this combo in the Behind the Scenes thread.

George

View attachment 194680
Very cool, George!!! A great thing to do!!! And thanks for the image… I wish I could do that!:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

George

View attachment 194680
Looks like a Jobo to me. Can you develop film in that thing?