The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

MartinN

I enjoy something like Americano, my own laziness, Espresso with larger volume including water. An espresso is not that warming if not combining with Habanero chocolate. But, when feeling cold, I prefer a mug of tea, over pour over…

MartinN

Habanero Chocolate is now on my shopping list for tomorrow! :)
If you can’t find any supplier, you can probably melt dark chocolate on a waterbath and add a flake or two of habanero, and add more if you like. And preferably fresh Habanero. Then let cool in icy weather.

MartinN

BTW growing chilies 🌶 in the window is fun, IF you get them growing big without fleas/lice. First time I tried had to throw the ’eaten’ plants away. The second time they started outside and got strong, and are now growing in the window.

dave.gt

Last night was a dangerous nightmare with a low of 12°F and no power! There was no way to get heat, because we were to be out early for an appointment this morning which meant we could not have a wood fire using our fireplace and leave it unattended .

The situation eventually worked out okay but it was borderline life-threatening until the power came on at 9am… my bride can not tolerate cold at all with her medical condition.

I didn’t enjoy the experience myself, not one bit, but it would have been easier if I could have made a cup of coffee or Moka. How hard can that be?

Is there a simple way to be prepared for this power outage thing and still be able to make coffee?:)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Last night was a dangerous nightmare with a low of 12°F and no power! There was no way to get heat, because we were to be out early for an appointment this morning which meant we could not have a wood fire using our fireplace and leave it unattended .

The situation eventually worked out okay but it was borderline life-threatening until the power came on at 9am… my bride can not tolerate cold at all with her medical condition.

I didn’t enjoy the experience myself, not one bit, but it would have been easier if I could have made a cup of coffee or Moka. How hard can that be?

Is there a simple way to be prepared for this power outage thing and still be able to make coffee?:)
Have a generator handy!
A camping stove could solve the coffee problem…
Sounds terrifying, Dave.

dave.gt

Have a generator handy!
A camping stove could solve the coffee problem…
Sounds terrifying, Dave.
Hmmm… a Moka pot needs only a small heat source but to do it indoors is the important thing. Is there such a thing as a “battery power bank”, for lack of a better term, that could power a small coffee maker or hot plate? I seem to remember decades ago there was a coffee maker that would plug into a Volkswagen Beetle! LOL.. :):):)

GeorgeBo

Glad you got you power back Dave! On and off here today in North Carolina. Worried about my brother in law. Still without tonight in southern Va. But he has a kerosene heater and is very careful with it.

Re: for coffee... Ditto on the camp stove. Just boil water, perfect for pour over or for that Moka pot ;)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
There are small alcohol stoves for siphon coffee pots, and maybe some that work off sterno. Kerosene stoves used to be a thing before electricity, but I’m not sure I’d want to live indoors with one.

GeorgeBo

Dave - check out something like this. Not expensive, used by caterers so safe for inside.

George

Hmmm… a Moka pot needs only a small heat source but to do it indoors is the important thing. Is there such a thing as a “battery power bank”, for lack of a better term, that could power a small coffee maker or hot plate? I seem to remember decades ago there was a coffee maker that would plug into a Volkswagen Beetle! LOL.. :):):)

dave.gt

Let’s see… basically I just need to boil water indoors during an electrical power outage. A simple pour-over coffee would be fine for me.

hmmmm…:unsure:

If I can solve this, then I’m going to find a way back to medium format film photography! I like using no batteries!:)

dave.gt

I do have a vintage medium format camera that does not use batteries…I haven’t used it in ages. Made in 1949.

I will check it and see if it still focuses and sounds right. I may post a digital image of it with a cup of coffee.:)

dave.gt

The older I get the more I see things that should be important in daily life. For instance, an acoustic guitar or other non-electronic musical instrument. Other things that fit my own personal interests are:

•Books.
•Bamboo Fly rods and fishing
•Mechanical watches and other timepieces.
•Painting/sketching
•Writing
.Manual typewriters
•Fountain pens

And much more including certain sports.

One common attribute that stands out is that there are no batteries or electronics required. Interesting isn’t it?

Coffee is amazing... But it certainly is a complex subject and the passion behind it is impressive! And it can be enjoyed without , yes, without batteries! LOL

dave

Last edited: