The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Insurance

jecxz

Hi guys, happy summer to everyone! I thought there was an insurance thread but I cannot find it so I'm asking for your experience on the matter.

My current insurance company for my MF gear has increasingly added more and more exclusions; their latest: damage from silica is now excluded. Silica may be considered sand. So if I drop my camera while on the beach... you get the idea. That's not the only new exclusion, suffice it to say, my policy used to be the Fireman's Fund all inclusive pro shooter policy, coverage from all risk. Now not so much.

I travel and need an all inclusive policy and since it's a business it can't be a homeowners policy.

Any recommendations? Please share and thank you in advance!

Please note, I'm not a member of ASMP because they I get nothing from them for the $. If you think I should join, please illuminate me as to the benefits I'd receive as a landscape photographer (thanks in advance).

Kind regards,
Derek

ejpeiker

I use the insurance offered through NANPA as well. Truly easy to deal with when you have a claim even for items that you have not itemized.

hcubell

There are three issues to consider when deciding on insurance coverage:
1. Who is the insurance carrier, and what is their reputation for pushing the fine print in the policy in order to deny or delay coverage?
2. What is the scope of the coverage? Is equipment that is lost or accidentally damaged covered, or just if it is stolen? What is the amount, if any, of the deductible? Does it cover specific items of equipment, like a floater on your regular homeowner's or business insurance, or is the insurance just part of your regular homeowner's insurance? With a floater, there is often no deductible.
3. How much is the annual premium?

#1 is by far and away the most important. If you use Chubb, you may pay more, I suppose, but this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. I have had two losses over a 10 year period with Chubb under a floater. Both were covered, and paid off within 48 hours in an amount equal to 100% of the current replacement cost.

hcubell

I use the insurance offered through NANPA as well. Truly easy to deal with when you have a claim even for items that you have not itemized.
Interestingly, it appears that Chubb is the insurance carrier on the insurance offered through NANPA.

tcdeveau

My plan is through CNA (I believe) through American Photographic Artists Insurance Services (I didn't have to join APA to get insurance through them).

http://apainsuranceservices.com/

I've enjoying using APA insurance services, but can't really speak to my plan specifically because I haven't actually had to use it yet. I suppose that's a good thing.

I've got a small business plan which covers quite a bit, and is probably overkill for my current needs. My premium just went up over 10% which seems like a lot since I haven't ever filed a claim in the 2-3 years I've had it. I may look at switching it up at some point but I don't have the time or energy to invest in it right now.

The plan just renewed and they sent a novel regarding plan coverage, and after skimming it quickly it looks like there is a silica exclusion that was just introduced into my plan too. Maybe it's an industry-wide thing? Or maybe my CNA plan is also through fireman's fund or something. IDK.

One thing I was disappointed with is my plan doesn't cover gear that is shipped (I don't think...I need to check again), which is a bit annoying since Hasselblad won't pick up the shipping/insurance bill in the US to the NJ service center (even for warrantied repairs).
-Todd

JohnBrew

I use USAA. I itemize all my equipment with serial numbers and what I paid. My premium runs around 2 1/2 % of valuation. Not bad.

stngoldberg

One thing I was disappointed with is my plan doesn't cover gear that is shipped (I don't think...I need to check again), which is a bit annoying since Hasselblad won't pick up the shipping/insurance bill in the US to the NJ service center (even for warrantied repairs

My homeowners plan (pure insurance) also does not cover UPS or FEDEX
Stanley

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi guys, happy summer to everyone! I thought there was an insurance thread but I cannot find it so I'm asking for your experience on the matter.

My current insurance company for my MF gear has increasingly added more and more exclusions; their latest: damage from silica is now excluded. Silica may be considered sand. So if I drop my camera while on the beach... you get the idea. That's not the only new exclusion, suffice it to say, my policy used to be the Fireman's Fund all inclusive pro shooter policy, coverage from all risk. Now not so much.

I travel and need an all inclusive policy and since it's a business it can't be a homeowners policy.

Any recommendations? Please share and thank you in advance!

Please note, I'm not a member of ASMP because they I get nothing from them for the $. If you think I should join, please illuminate me as to the benefits I'd receive as a landscape photographer (thanks in advance).

Kind regards,
Derek
I use ASMP for (1) the Apple gear discounts an (2) my PRESS PASS .