The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Magazine - Coming October 6th!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
In the October edition of the Medium Format Magazine you will find an exclusive and in-depth interview with Michael Kenna. We talk about his beginnings, Japan, composition, business, prints, even the spiritual side of photography and much more... Here is just a sample of this fascinating conversation.

Could landscape be a direct reflection of its people? Do you ever think about people when you photograph landscape?

The presence of absence is an integral aspect of my work. Although I rarely photograph people, I look for their memories and traces, When asked to sum up almost five decades of work I usually refer to my interest in the juxtaposition, relationship, even confrontation of the organic elements of the earth and the structures that we humans place in and on the land. Every photographer must choose their own way to work. We all respond individually to the subject matter we encounter. Some photographers focus more on people than environments, but I am not one of them. I like to use the analogy of the theatre stage. Generally, I prefer photographing before and after the performance. I relish the potential of a place, the atmosphere, and I try to portray that visually. I enjoy using my imagination to create stories and trace histories. I like to sense what has gone on, and what will happen next. When the performers are on stage, I cannot help but be drawn into their stories and follow them. I suppose that I become more passive and allow myself to be entertained. I listen to the performers more than myself. There are many times when this situation might be for the best! However, when I am photographing, I usually prefer my work to be without figures. I want viewers to be alone in the image. Being solitary evokes certain subjective feelings. I don’t attempt to control the experience; I provide the environment.

The October edition of the Medium Format Magazine will go live on October 6th.
www.mediumformat.com

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 1.41.39 PM.jpg

gurtch

How does one subscribe to Medium Format Magazine? I assume it is digital down load, not hard copy? What is the yearly fee? Thanks
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
How does one subscribe to Medium Format Magazine? I assume it is digital down load, not hard copy? What is the yearly fee? Thanks
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your interest in our publication. You can subscribe here. Yes, it is digital download. We are currently testing a printed version, which should be available in late 2021. Price per issue on yearly basis is $13.25. We would be delighted to have you. Please keep in mind that each subscription also supports the GetDPI.com website. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Warm Regards,

Olaf

Ray Harrison

I subscribed not too long ago and greatly enjoyed "binge reading" all of the back issues while on a recent semi-local holiday. Outstanding, all of them! And I've just read the Kenna interview in the October issue, truly wonderful.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I subscribed not too long ago and greatly enjoyed "binge reading" all of the back issues while on a recent semi-local holiday. Outstanding, all of them! And I've just read the Kenna interview in the October issue, truly wonderful.
Thank you so much Ray for your kind feedback and support! It means a lot.

Gravastar

My subscription will be due for renewal in 2mths time. It's a superb publication and I'll certainly be renewing. What's not often mentioned is the subscription gives you access to past issues. The images in the pdfs are a joy to view on a high resolution monitor.

Bob.