The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Magazine - September 2020

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
In the September issue of the Medium Format Magazine you will find plenty of stunning photography and exclusive editorials prepared by our team and contributors. Let’s take a look.

While working on the first story, we agreed that there would be no better time than now to share with you the incredible world of Rodney Lewis Smith. While looking at Rodney’s photographs, the thought “they don’t shoot like this anymore” comes to mind. Playful, clever and elegant photography done on the set and in-camera – a rare occurrence nowadays. But the man himself has a tale to tell. Although he is sadly no longer with us, through the cooperation and kindness of his wife Leslie Smolan and archivist Patricia Barrett, we are able to open the door to the startling world of Rodney Smith. Indulge yourself in this celebration of his life and astounding visual legacy. Today, more than ever, we need both Rodney Lewis Smith and his imagery.

Last month, Bruce Barnbaum debuted his new column, “Photographic Thought,” which was met enthusiastically by our readers. No wonder – Bruce is one of the best writers and instructors in the industry. He writes, “In my initial article for Medium Format magazine, just last month, I went back 40 years to my discovery of Antelope Canyon and why it meant so much to me. In this, my second article, I’ll go back just as far, and also step forward to today, thus binding the two together.”

When you enter THE GALLERY this month you will find the work of the superbly creative Bára Prášilová. When I saw Bára’s work for the first time I was amazed at her ingenuity and cleverness in creating the visual worlds that are her own but at the same time speak so strongly to all of us. I was even more impressed when I found out that Bára creates her work with real props and objects. You will find inspiration and joy, deep thought and nostalgia in her work. What unique work!

Next, Tony Hewitt debuts his first article about aerial photography. Tony is one of the most recognizable Australian photographers with a unique eye and imagery which awes. Tony writes, “I have always looked forward to the rush of excitement I feel when preparing to board an aircraft with the promise of a few hours gazing down at our beautiful planet. Viewing the world from another perspective has held an alluring attraction for me as long as I can remember.” After reading this piece and watching Tony’s work, you will be amazed. Enjoy!

In the next article we get back to earth with style! Sasha Onyshchenko takes us into the intriguing and beautiful world of ballet. Indeed, Sasha, as a former dancer himself, brings us an intimate visual insight into this art form. Sasha shares his personal journey and writes about the craft of photographing ballet and people who have dedicated their lives to it. His rivetting writing is accompanied by his masterful imagery revealing the delicate beauty and strong allure of this art form. You will find it difficult to stop reading!

In this month’s HOW IT WAS SHOT David Burdeny shares with us one of his landscape images and tells the story behind it. He writes, “On one of the trips I noticed the beautifully coloured evaporation ponds that border the runway to the south. They were particularly brilliant that day and I couldn’t shake off the experience of seeing them.” This one moment resulted in the enormous effort made to capture this stunning image. What’s even better, you will read the story behind it.

With the autumn season upon us, Michael Hudson’s article, “Intimate Beauty – Photographing Autumn Colour in Maine” couldn’t be timelier. Michael’s work not only focuses on colour and the richness of the fall landscape but captures more subtle, intimate landscapes which are difficult to photograph. He writes, “As an artist/photographer, I don’t typically find a lot of satisfaction in wide vistas of the landscape, but I look for details and splashes of colour in a more intimate landscape.” What a great read!

In the next piece we stay with colour but in a very different genre. Gigi Chung takes us on an abstract visual journey and underlines important aspects of crafting such photographs. Gigi has a special ability to combine elements in the frame so we are gently guided through the images and find strong satisfaction despite the unknown. The series presented in the magazine is one of the finest architectural abstract photography series we have seen for a while. It is a real treat for a hungry eye.

Last, Derek Makishima returns with his “55KEI” column and this time he writes about “Pandemic Shooting.” While the title sounds dark, his imagery and writing are full of life, colour and imagination. Most importantly, it’s all shot in a tiny typical Tokyo apartment, which speaks volumes about Derek’s ability to create even in a very constrained and simple environment. I am confident you will enjoy this piece as much as you did his previous articles.

Enjoy! If you are not a subscriber, we would be delighted to have you. Please use the MF15 coupon for a 15% discount (yearly plan only!). Please note that each subscription also supports the GETDPI.com website.

https://mediumformat.com

MF_September2020_cover_SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
In the September issue of the Medium Format Magazine you will find plenty of stunning photography and exclusive editorials prepared by our team and contributors. Let’s take a look.
Yes indeed there are some stunning images. It just gets better and better and also the formum update is brilliant. You guys know your craft and we are the lucky ones that can partake and enjoy.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed there are some stunning images. It just gets better and better and also the formum update is brilliant. You guys know your craft and we are the lucky ones that can partake and enjoy.
Thank you so much for your kind words. Kudos to the entire team at the Medium Format Magazine. We work really hard to bring the best content in the world of photography. I am glad you like the new GetDPI.com website. We are still tuning things here and it will take us a few more weeks to complete the entire transformation. We appreciate your support.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
It was such an amazing experience working on the "The incredible world of Rodney Lewis Smith" story. Although Rodney is sadly no longer with us, through the cooperation and kindness of his wife Leslie Smolan and archivist Patricia Barrett, we are able to open the door to the startling world of Rodney Smith. We asked them about their most memorable photographic assignments. You will find several stories inside the September issue of the Medium Format Magazine, the entire interview and Rodney's stunning work. Today I would like to share one story with you, as told by Patricia.

Saori on Seaplane Wing, Dominican Republic, 2010
This was an assignment for Leslie Smolan and Carbone Smolan Agency. She was creating a new resort brand for a client in the Dominican Republic. The photographs captured the spirit of the place before anything was built.

We got helicoptered into this remote beach for this photograph. We had two men manning a wind machine so we could have the wind blowing her dress. One had the wind machine strapped to his back and the other was holding him so he wouldn’t tip over. This image was shot moments before a heavy rainfall. You can see the contact sheet. One roll of film for this capture. That’s how Rodney shot. He knew when the picture felt right and didn’t waste film or time. He didn’t click the shutter unless it was how he wanted it.
TRO-0610-197-09x.jpg

Image courtesy of Rodney Lewis Smith Estate

www.mediumformat.com