The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

dchew

dchew,
Really don't need or use the pan top of my ARCA SWISS p0, and I wonder how easy it would be to remove the pan top.
Since you disassembled your P0h at least partly, can you give me any pointers or suggestions?
Thanks,
MN
I can't help much. I disassembled the bottom parts, not the top. This was my goal:

And here is the mess I made to get there:

I have taken apart the top clamp and replaced it with an RRS clamp. But the p0h is different on top vs the P0. Taking off the top clamp of the p0h is accomplished by simply removing the center bolt. Then the top thin plate (right above the etched degree numbers) comes off and the little ball bearing that indents every 90 degrees goes flying off into space. The p0 seems different. I will send you a pm.
p0h:

p0:

anyone

Serious tinkering. I was able to reduce weight by another 750g by going for the Hyberg Attila X UL backpack. Also tested the Gitzo ball head mentioned before and it seems to be as stable as the tripod, so no need to take the heavier RRS BH 25 with the GFX50R. I'm now down to 5.5 kg excluding water, food, and fuel. The X-Boil stove I sent back - too expensive for a sheet of laser cut metal. I built my own can stove + windshield which works just fine.

Last edited:
Serious tinkering. I was able to reduce weight by another 750g by going for the Hyberg Attila X UL backpack. Also tested the Gitzo ball head mentioned before and it seems to be as stable as the tripod, so no need to take the heavier RRS BH 25 with the GFX50R. I'm now down to 5.5 kg excluding water, food, and fuel. The X-Boil stove I sent back - too expensive for a sheet of laser cut metal. I built my own can stove + windshield which works just fine.
For summer trips I change from my 30 deg to a 50 deg sleeping quilt. That saves me 6.2 oz (175g).

Smoothjazz

I went down the rabbit hole here to try some of these weight saving ideas. First I purchased the Area L-75 leveling base. I have to say this is a very well made head, the mechanism is silky smooth, and I thought it would be a perfect replacement for my Cube. The size and weight were perfect. I realized right away the the 15 degree tilt was not going to be nearly enough. Even with tilting the tripod forward, the maximum tilt would be 30-45 degrees.
My next idea was to purchase the P0 base, which does allow for a 90 degree tilt.
The problem I find is that these two items are not the same diameter; the P0 is about 10mm smaller- it can still be done, but looks less stable. I probably should have considered the P0 Hybrid.
Arca Swiss recommended buying a leveling base, but this defeats the purpose- the weight gain then equals what I had with the original Cube.

Geoff

Rabbit hole membership in good order: got the L60 to be the lightweight version of the D4, which is the base of choice, but a bit big and heavy for travel. Should have listened to Rod K, and gotten the L75 for ease of use. Now neither way is quite right. Step back and wonder - like, really?

anyone

Update: I tested the Hyberg Attila X UL backpack. While the weight was tempting, I was not okay carrying my gear without a back frame. So I'll continue to use my trusted backpack.

Tripod-wise, the Feisol CT-3332 is incoming. I'm curious how it will perform, since the specs are promising (98cm working height, 0,81kg weight).

rdeloe

There is some evolution in camera bags. Icu feature is good. But maybe my shoulder won’t thank me.
It won't thank you if you stick a Fuji GX680 in there! However, for a lighter load, it should be good. I really like working out of shoulder bags, especially when I'm in a place where dropping a backpack on the ground is not an option.

anyone

Update on the Feisol CT-3332: I now received it and will keep it, if it proves to be stable. It looks like a nice compromise for my needs.

The leg angle is a little steep as well, but not as extreme as with the Leofoto tripod that I tried before. The tripod legs are relatively strong as it is only a 3 section tripod. Weight is 810g including the (for me) unnecessary center column. I measured its thickness (2.4cm) and while Feisol won't provide an alternative, it seems the Rollei C5i short center column does match. I have one incoming. The working height is for me more comfortable than with the lower Gitzo 530, but I will keep both. For longer hikes most likely the Gitzo will be part of the packing list, for shorter hikes the Feisol. Next comes some field testing to see whether it's stable or not.

Update #2: The Rollei C5i short center column arrived and does match the tripod. Now we are down to 930g for the tripod including the RRS BH-25 and quick release plate. The tripod still folds over with the RRS-BH-25 to save some packing space.

Edit: It seems I start collecting lightweight tripods :D Still got a Gitzo 0531 to compare. Let's see which one I keep.

Last edited:

anyone

Final update on my tripod search: I now got the Gitzo 0531 (or a similar model, I'm not quite sure - it's not marked anywhere). Compared to the Feisol CT-3332, the tripods are almost identical in height and weight. The Feisol has a little wider leg diameter, but the Gitzo legs feel more sturdy. So without testing both of them extensively in the field, I'd say they are more or less equally suited for the purpose. Now I'm happy with my tripod choices for the UL kit. If I really need to go superlight, I'll go with the Gitz G0057, if I can bear a little more weight I'll take either the Feisol CT-3332 or the Gitzo 0531.