The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

anyone

Which Rolleiflex? The Hy6 with battery and 80mm AFD lens is much lighter than the 6008i with battery & 80mm. Of course, a prism finder adds considerable weight to either one.
I use an old TLR Rolleiflex 3.5C with Planar 75mm.

mristuccia

So sorry to hear that you still have health issues,

In that case I'd not chose a solution that is still in the middle, I'd go minimalistic with the Rolleiflex TLR and high-res 6x6 film, like the Adox CMS 20 II.
I recall that you have an Imacon scanner (as I do), so it could be worth it.
Not only it will lightens your backpack, it will do the same with your mind.

My two cents
marco

anyone

So sorry to hear that you still have health issues,

In that case I'd not chose a solution that is still in the middle, I'd go minimalistic with the Rolleiflex TLR and high-res 6x6 film, like the Adox CMS 20 II.
I recall that you have an Imacon scanner (as I do), so it could be worth it.
Not only it will lightens your backpack, it will do the same with your mind.

My two cents
marco
Exactly my thoughts when I bought the Rolleiflex. I shot a couple of rolls with it so far and the image quality is on a very high level. A 6x6 negative on Delta 100 scans nicely and can be easily printed to an output size of 80x80cm.

You can save a couple of pounds, Look into the Field Optics Tripods , I bought the FBT5436C - BT Precision, 54 " height, 4.4 lbs, load capacity 75 lbs. The company makes gear for hunting and shooting but they are starting to make gear for the photography industry

anyone

Actually I think I might have found a solution for my tripod issue. There are micro tripods when you search for them:
  • The Sirui AM-223 (link) seems to tick the box for a small and lightweight tripod, and the working height of 42cm may be acceptable for me. It's 730g.
  • Same category the Leofoto LS-223c (link)
The next step up in working height I found:
  • Sirui T-25SK: without center column the working height is 107cm, weight about 850g. I found a blog post describing the strip down of the tripod to the bare necessities (link). However, it scored almost last in a travel tripod stability test (link).
  • Leofoto Ranger LS-224C: I found this tripod in the same stability test, but it scored a lot better. Weight is 887g, working height 117cm.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

Actually I think I might have found a solution for my tripod issue. There are micro tripods when you search for them:
  • The Sirui AM-223 (link) seems to tick the box for a small and lightweight tripod, 0.7kg and a working height of 42cm may be acceptable for me.
  • Same category the Leofoto LS-223c (link)
It might not be very comfortable to have the camera that low, having to bend over or kneel.

anyone

It might not be very comfortable to have the camera that low, having to bend over or kneel.
True that it might not win a prize for comfort, but since it's all about finding the right compromise, it may very well be a possibility. The waist level finder of the Rolleiflex supports a lower shooting position nicely.

The weight of the AM-223 with 730g is compelling. This would enable me to take the Ricoh GR, Rolleiflex 3,5C, tripod at a minor expense. If I want to invest in mirrorless later, that is also possible, all within the 2kg range - both the GFX100s with 50mm or the 907x.

I may just order the tripod and see how stable it is .

Last edited:

dchew

The Center Column reviewed a few Sirui tripods:
You can search on the home page and several pop up.

Dave

anyone

The Center Column reviewed a few Sirui tripods:
You can search on the home page and several pop up.

Dave
Thank you! I found the test already earlier - not a great performer. Now I'm looking at the Leofoto alternative, the LS-224c. It scores a lot better on The Center Column (link). The naming of the Leofoto tripods is a little confusing. Sometimes I find a RS-224c and wonder whether it's the same as the LS-224c. But I guess they just changed their naming logic at some point. Here is an interesting thread about that tripod: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61046872

Edit: I now decided to give it a try. Arguably I already own the reference in the category travel tripod (my Gitzo), so I'm a little skeptical whether it's really sturdy enough. Probably I cannot always use it fully extended. Since I'm anyways having a tent with me I can use a ground hook + string for increased stability. But I guess I have to test whether it's sturdy enough for the application. Because if it's not I can even save more weight by leaving it home ;)

Edit2: Still a bit undecided. While sacrificing working height, the "tabletop" tripods above seem NOT to compromise stability, and that is in the end what a tripod is all about. So it seems to be the safer, albeit uncomfortable choice.

Edit3: I ordered the Leofoto Ls-224 and Ls-223 and will have a look at them which one looks more reliable. The tripod head of choice may be the RRS BH-25.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

Thank you! I found the test already earlier - not a great performer. Now I'm looking at the Leofoto alternative, the LS-224c. It scores a lot better on The Center Column (link). The naming of the Leofoto tripods is a little confusing. Sometimes I find a RS-224c and wonder whether it's the same as the LS-224c. But I guess they just changed their naming logic at some point. Here is an interesting thread about that tripod: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61046872

Edit: I now decided to give it a try. Arguably I already own the reference in the category travel tripod (my Gitzo), so I'm a little skeptical whether it's really sturdy enough. Probably I cannot always use it fully extended. Since I'm anyways having a tent with me I can use a ground hook + string for increased stability. But I guess I have to test whether it's sturdy enough for the application. Because if it's not I can even save more weight by leaving it home ;)

Edit2: Still a bit undecided. While sacrificing working height, the "tabletop" tripods above seem NOT to compromise stability, and that is in the end what a tripod is all about. So it seems to be the safer, albeit uncomfortable choice.

Edit3: I ordered the Leofoto Ls-224 and Ls-223 and will have a look at them which one looks more reliable. The tripod head of choice may be the RRS BH-25.
I use a Leofoto 324C with the LH40 ballhead--a clone of the RRS--as my travel tripod. It works fine for MF, but the leg spread is not as wide as a Gitzo Ranger, making it just a bit less stable. It also does not have an adjustable center column, just a short extension column that can be added. I pretty much manage not using the extension, but it does make fine-tuning the height more of a hassle since you have to adjust the legs instead. It is well-made and does the job for a lot less than a Gitzo or RRS. I do wish they would sell the package with a quick-release lever instead of the knob, though.

anyone

The first tripod arrived, the LS-224. I haven't used it yet, but it makes a very good first impression. It seems to be well made, and it's not at all as flimsy as I was afraid of. The working height is good for a waist level finder camera. Weight (measured) including the LH25 ballhead: 909g.

algrove

I keep weights of all my gear and often select lenses based on that.

My question to the OP and I might have missed it, but what "bag" is 0.4kg?

My MF cam is the Fuji 100S due to its phenomenal IBIS=little or no tripod use.

anyone

X1D I or II + 45P.
650 + 320 gram = 970 gram and no tripod
?
I'm a little reluctant still to go mirrorless - I cannot justify two MF systems, so it would mean to let go of my current which I'm not ready yet.

I keep weights of all my gear and often select lenses based on that.

My question to the OP and I might have missed it, but what "bag" is 0.4kg?

My MF cam is the Fuji 100S due to its phenomenal IBIS=little or no tripod use.
It's the F-Stop ICU Small Shallow. In fact it's 282g, I just put it on a scale. But good call, I could also probably use a lens wrap instead, even though I like to arrange things neatly in one 'camera block'.

ThdeDude

My lightweight medium format kit:

- Silvestri Flexicam

- PhaseOne IQ3-100 (with battery)

- 35mm, 60mm, and 100mm Digaron-S lenses

- Polaroid filter, two ND filters, two step-up rings, two filter caps, LCC filter

- Tamrac 5735 waist bag (heavy modified) with Yosoo camera bag insert

8 Ib

Bare-bone but all what's needed to make exposures.

(My corresponding lightweight tripod is FLM CP30-L4 & ARCA SWISS p0 with 1/4" thread: 71.5", 4.0 Ib)

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

schuster

The tripod head is my weight nemesis (ArcaSwiss Cube), but I realllllly like it. The Hasselblad ArcBody can be carried all day with your little finger. The 35 and 45 lenses are featherweights too. The 75 is heavier primarily because of the extension tube used with it. It uses the standard Hasselblad 120 or 220 back. However, I use it with the PhaseOne IQ-160, which weighs more. All-in-all, with only the 45mm or 35mm and film back, it'll fit in a fanny pack and be relatively unnoticeable to carry. The IQ-160 fits too, but with that I don't use the viewing filters, center filter or reflex viewfinder, freeing-up more space.

camera front 6 oclock 45mm.jpg

algrove

I'm a little reluctant still to go mirrorless - I cannot justify two MF systems, so it would mean to let go of my current which I'm not ready yet.

It's the F-Stop ICU Small Shallow. In fact it's 282g, I just put it on a scale. But good call, I could also probably use a lens wrap instead, even though I like to arrange things neatly in one 'camera block'.
Oh I thought you were talking about using a shoulder bag or backpack. You mean you go hiking with an ICU only?

anyone

Really nice small hiking kits! I love the different solutions shown here. When I go for "normal" day hikes, I take my Cambo WRS 1200 with SK 35XL, it's just over 2kg with the IQ1 60.

Oh I thought you were talking about using a shoulder bag or backpack. You mean you go hiking with an ICU only?
I plan to use a Mammut Trion Pro (1.7 kg) as backpack for the multi-day-hike, therefore I can just have the ICU inside this backpack.

Last edited: