The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

ThdeDude

RRS plates (Arca compatible) are on everything, cameras and tripods, for ease of changing heads.
Some mission creep here! The tread was originally about "Ultralight Hiking Kit".

Quick release plates adds weight which, by itself, does not add anything to photography; and if lightweight, adds at least one other potential flexing points to the system (camera & plate).

Quick release plates make perfect sense in a studio setting where speed and convenience are important factors, and weight and bulk are of no relevance.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

do you think a quick release plate makes a difference?
I would imagine an Arca-Swiss style QR plate would actually be more stable and secure as you can attach it to the camera with a hex-head screw and wrench, rather than a knurled knob or a D-ring bolt. Some cameras have more than one socket on the base and you can take advantage of that to use two belts to secure the camera to the plate. The actual clamping area of the QR plate and clamp is pretty large, too.

ThdeDude

Some cameras have more than one socket on the base and you can take advantage of that to use two belts to secure the camera to the plate.
Very true.

On my Linhof Techno I have a 120mm quick release plate mounted using both 3/8" tripod threads of the camera. Because of the long quick release plate I can balance the camera on the tripod over the whole range of focal lengths, 23mm-300mm. Way more stable than using one of the 3/8" tripod threads mounted to a tripod head.

But definitely isn't a "Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit"!

Last edited:

anyone

Such nice camera kits are shown in this thread! Just one kg more opens up a lot of possibilities.

Some mission creep here! The tread was originally about "Ultralight Hiking Kit".

Quick release plates adds weight which, [...]
I know I know, quick release plates are unnecessary weight but most small tripod heads have an arca clamp built in. And they are convenient.

As for tripods, I now am waiting for a small Gitzo G0057 to arrive - 60cm working height without center column. Weight of 390g (!) Let’s see! I would be very surprised if it would be sufficient for my medium format kit, but I thought it's a nice addition to my Gitzo tripod family here and very useful for mirrorless cameras.

I also mailed FLM. They’ll look whether they can build a smaller sized version of their 2 section tripod.

PS: I'm also tweaking the other non-photography-related parts of my hiking kit. My trusty old mini maglite had to make space for a brand new Fenix flashlight. Another 80g.

Last edited:

schuster

"Screenshot from Capture One, 100%, both pictures taken with the 500C/M, LS-224 with mirror lock up. The left image looks sharper to me."

I agree... huge difference between the left and right images.

I think this might be the weakest link in your tripod. Is it all the way down?
tripod.jpg

Also, I learned the hard way to be obsessive about keeping a big loose arc in my cable release when holding it. You might have forgotten that, as I had.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

Also, I learned the hard way to be obsessive about keeping a big loose arc in my cable release when holding it. You might have forgotten that, as I had.
And don't push sudden and hard on the cable release but a smooth, steady squeeze until you hear the sweet sound of the Copal shutter doing its deed. :LOL:

rdeloe

And don't push sudden and hard on the cable release but a smooth, steady squeeze until you hear the sweet sound of the Copal shutter doing its deed. :LOL:
And most importantly, before you press in all the way, close your eyes and think of England. ;)

ThdeDude

And most importantly, before you press in all the way, close your eyes and think of England. ;)

'Close your eyes and think of England'

No more. I am done with cables and releases. I am now almost exclusively using the electronic shutter.:)

Last edited:

anyone

I agree... huge difference between the left and right images.

I think this might be the weakest link in your tripod. Is it all the way down?
View attachment 193985

The metal part is the extension from the ball of the ball head. It's fixed. I will try the loose arc, even I have a pretty small cable release due to low bulk and weight.

FLM came back to me with the possibility to make a smaller tripod, but at the high cost of 365 USD + shipping + tax. I think in the end this is too close to my Gitzo tripod, although more stable:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 20.05.01.png

Last edited:

Thyl

I'm a little reluctant still to go mirrorless - I cannot justify two MF systems, so it would mean to let go of my current which I'm not ready yet.
The SWC you mentioned in your initial post is also a mirrorless camera. You probably meant a camera with an electronic viewfinder. But the X1D can of course also be equipped with an optical viewfinder, just like the SWC has. The XCD 30 mm is probably the closest to the Biogon 38 in terms of angle of view. So, you could simply use the optical viewfinder from the SWC and mount it on the hotshoe of the X1D. Or you could buy an optical viewfinder made for the 907x, which has specific markings for the XCD 30 mm, and will also fit the hotshoe. The combination of X1D, 30 mm lens, battery and optical viewfinder is still slightly below 1.4 kg.

Furthermore, a spare battery for the X1D is about 110 g. Which results in a reduction of your two items camera + spare batteries from 2.35 to 1.5 kg, with the only open question being what is meant by "etc" after the spare batteries (in your initial post). Sure, an expensive solution, but future proof. And, assuming you have more lenses from the Hasselblad V system, you can still use them on the X1d, albeit with an adapter and only with the electronic shutter.

Pieter 12

Quick release plates make perfect sense in a studio setting where speed and convenience are important factors, and weight and bulk are of no relevance.
I would think the opposite would be true. In the studio, one has the luxury of a controlled environment, most probably assistants and time to set everything up. A quick release plate in the field means you can get the tripod set and the camera attached with little trouble and be ready to catch a scene before the conditions change.

ThdeDude

A quick release plate in the field means you can get the tripod set and the camera attached with little trouble and be ready to catch a scene before the conditions change.
Yes, a quick release system is more convenient, especially for changing camera's orientation (L-shaped quick release) or for balancing the camera on the tripod (long quick release plate).

But this must be balanced against the added weight & complexity, and this thread is titled "Ultralight Hiking Kit".

Pieter 12

A modern quick-release system is usually milled from very light metal, adding minimal weight. To keep the weight down, you need not even use an L-bracket (when that is even an option).

anyone

The SWC you mentioned in your initial post is also a mirrorless camera.
You are absolutely right - I meant of course my hesitation to go mirrorless digital. It is an option, but a very expensive one and I would need to part with my digital back to fund it, which has implications for the rest of the gear I use. If mirrorless prices come down even more (I have to say the used price of about 2.000 EUR for a GFX 50R is tempting), I may reconsider.

I would think the opposite would be true. In the studio, one has the luxury of a controlled environment, most probably assistants and time to set everything up. A quick release plate in the field means you can get the tripod set and the camera attached with little trouble and be ready to catch a scene before the conditions change.
I agree! While I don’t have experience with studio situations, I certainly know about changing conditions.

Plus, the debate about the quick release system is of purely theoretical nature for me: my lightweight tripod heads have an Arca Swiss clamp as their upper interface, therefore I'm forced to use the corresponding plates under the camera(s).

Concerning the tripod search, I will give the FLM a pass, it's too close to my Gitzo 1545t, while bulkier to travel with, and too expensive to just have both tripods.

I will continue to look for a Gitzo 0530/ 0531 (see my WTB ad!) to compare it to the Leofoto LS-224c, and still haven't received yet the Gitzo G0057. It seems I'm more brand loyal than I thought, but I'm just very satisfied with my other Gitzo tripods :)

Despite this searching effort, thanks to all the very helpful workflow hints above I feel I might be able to make the LS-224C work for my purposes. That was truly educating beyond the actual situation! I'm spoiled by tripods that are buffering away any inaccuracies in the workflow, but this will improve my technique!

I was considering to change the angle of the legs of the LS-224c slightly by removing a small part of the metal limiters to sacrifice some working height vs stability, but I will just start going down that route once I know that I will keep it.

Last edited:

Thyl

You are absolutely right - I meant of course my hesitation to go mirrorless digital. It is an option, but a very expensive one and I would need to part with my digital back to fund it, which has implications for the rest of the gear I use. If mirrorless prices come down even more (I have to say the used price of about 2.000 EUR for a GFX 50R is tempting), I may reconsider.
Ah, I see. Well, if you are more or less stuck with the two heaviest components, you will have to carry them, no matter what :-(. Sorry I couldn't help.

ThdeDude

Ah, I see. Well, if you are more or less stuck with the two heaviest components, you will have to carry them, no matter what :-(
Classic case somewhat. I am sure we all were once caught in the same situation, we wanted to go "ultra" but unwilling/unable to consider/make the required changes.

A true "Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit" - or for that matter any true "ultralight anything" - requires an ongoing willingness to consider each and every part as (i) to its essentialness, and if essential (ii) whether or not it could be replaced by a lighter duty version.

I just replaced my perfectly fine factory metal zipper pulls on my camera bag with nylon pulls but what I should have done is replace the factory metal zipper with a lightweight plastic zipper!

Last edited:

anyone

It's an optimization dilemma which requires balancing weight, money, functionality, and everyone will come to a different conclusion in the end. I'm not yet there to conclude, but my optimization target is clearly on the tripod weight, and my intermediate camera solution is to go analogue with a camera I already own - if I expect wide landscapes, the Malefic 617 is a good contender, and otherwise the Rolleiflex 3.5C.

By the way, is there a loss of stability of a tripod if you do not use the positions that are pre-determined at the hinges of a tripod? As pointed out, the ones of the Leofoto tripod result in a too steep leg angle.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

By the way, is there a loss of stability of a tripod if you do not use the positions that are pre-determined at the hinges of a tripod? As pointed out, the ones of the Leofoto tripod result in a too steep leg angle.
I would think if you can spike the legs into the ground, it should be stable enough. Are you making long exposures, or working in windy conditions?