The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Memory Cards Survive Underwater

Tim Ernst

A photographer fell to his death recently a couple miles from my cabin here in Arkansas and his camera bag ended up in a creek. It took me a week to locate the camera bag (it had been washed downstream), which had been submerged the entire time (the photographer's body was recovered in the creek the day after he fell). Everything in the camera bag was soaked, and the camera and lenses were completely filled with water. But four memory cards and a thumb drive were all fine, and I was able to recover all of his last images for the family. The images on the card also told the story of his last trip into the wilderness - where he went and what he photographed - and also helped determine the time of his death (from the EXIF). This was a sad reminder that life is dangerous, but also a thumbs up to memory card manufactures for making them tough as nails...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Sad story. May he/she rest in peace. It is wonderful that you were able to bring the bag back for the family.