The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Godfrey

Well, this is and isn't a Leica M... :D

I hadn't made any photographs with my Leica M4-2 for quite a long time. But my recent obsession with all things "instant film" caused me to pull out the M4-2 and the Instant Magny 35 back that was produced a couple of years ago.

I had to re-learn which lenses worked well with it ... Color Skopar lenses have too small an exit pupil and create a lot of vignetting. The three lenses I've tested and really like how they work are the Voigtländer Hyperwide 10mm seen in the photo above, the Pentax SMC-L 43mm f/1.9 Special, and the Minolta Rokkor-M 90mm f/4. I haven't had a chance to re-test the Summilux 35mm, Summicron-M 50mm, Hektor 135mm, or Summarit-M 75mm lenses yet. ... most should work pretty well too. By and large, lens openings larger than f/4 don't work very well, with too much corner and edge drop off.

Given the effects of the light pipe and enlargement, the ISO 800 Instax SQ films are best rated at ISO 50 to 25, depending on the lens match to the device. The 10mm shows a good bit of light falloff but the result is very pleasing; the 43 and 90 illuminate the frame quite evenly.

I shot through a pack of color and another pack of B&W film. The results are great! I'll add them to this thread in a moment.

I'm really pleased with the performance of the M4-2 and the Instant Magny 35 despite how clumsy it looks (and is ...!). It proves to be quite a nice bit of fun to shoot with.

G

MartinN

Now, that I have ditched Self E-6 with Tetenal, and opted for Silverfast for E6 scanning instead of Vuescan some things are happening.

Now, I'm back in business with better results, and I feel more satisfied. VueScan is faster and maybe has an advantage with color negatives, but obviously not with E6 chromes.
Silverfast is slow as tar on your shoes, but has lots of power for E6.

More roses, Mamiya 645 Super and 70mmf2.8 + Extension tubes 1 and 2, Kodak E100VS expired about 2000

Muted colors on Kodak Ektachrome EPY 64T Tungsten neutralized to daylight, expired 1997

Nailed exposure and contrast on Kodak E100VS, expired about 2000, same camera and lens

Godfrey

Early in 2020, say around the beginning of March, I had lunch with a photographer friend. Over lunch, we both agreed that we hadn't been shooting any 35mm film for too long a time, so I loaded up my Minox 35GT-E with a roll of Ilford XP2 Super and intended to shoot it over the course of a week.

Then the pandemic lockdown happened. Things got delayed.

I finally made the last exposure on that roll of film about three or four weeks ago. And it kicked around on my desk waiting to be processed until three days ago. I processed it in my usual manner—daylight loading Agfa Rondix 35 tank on the kitchen counter, at whatever room temperature was that day (about 75°F), in HC-110 mixed 1:49 dilution for 7.5 minutes. I process *all* my B&W film that way, it's a funny thing that all of them work with those numbers. :)

This was the first photo on the roll. It's a picture of the still very new to me Salsa Beargrease (SBG for short) that I'd custom built—very very quickly, just as the pandemic lockdown was starting to happen!—after my Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon semi-custom was stolen on the 29th of February, 2020. I suspect this photo was made around the end of March/beginning of April... It was before the new carbon wheels arrived, before I'd found and fitted the tire pump, before I fitted the heavy lock to the top tube or the water bottle cage. Without those accessories, what a lean and simple look it has!

Salsa Beargrease in Japan Town - San Jose 2020
Minox 35GT-E + Ilford XP2 Super
Scanned w Leica CL + Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4

In the early pandemic year, everything I'd come to enjoy on my rides was closed: cafes, meeting places, etc. And the sidewalks and streets were devoid of people, the gathering places were empty wastelands, only a memory of what normally was.

I cycled anyway, through my old loops, carried my lunch, and took rest stops near my old favorite haunts. I was insistent that since bicycling was classified as 'safe', I was not going to silo myself into my home and just sit. I cycled nearly every day, walked nearly every day, and meditated since I couldn't enjoy much of conversation other than on the phone or on a zoom meeting.

Looking at this photo, I remember how fresh and new this bicycle felt then. And it's worked out beautifully over the past year, accumulated about 4000 miles or so. Can't wait to turn that over in the next 4000 miles!

BTW: In scanning this and another roll of 6x4.5 format film the other day, this was my first time using the Essential Film Holder made by Andrew Clifforth to do the scanning. It's a very simple device, easy to learn and use, and it does the job extremely well: holds the film very flat and allowed me to scan both rolls of film in something like 20 minutes total. Well worth the money!

onwards, always onwards!
G

anyone

Bild 030a_web.jpg

Hasselblad 2000FCW, Planar 2/110, FP100c instant film, negative reclaimed, scanned with Flextight

There is a little story behind this experiment. The FP100c is the last remaining instant pack film for the Hasselblad Polaroid back. Unfortunately discontinued, I still have a few packages of this lovely film. Recently I read that the negatives can be reclaimed if the back of the instant film is treated with bleach. I had to try that out. The result looks like one of these instagram filters, but hey, they must have copied it from somewhere :D

Here is a step-by-step guide how to do it:

The result is nice, and I got an interesting 20x20cm print out of it. Of course you may wonder why to use your super-high-quality Hasselblad for such a lomo-style image. But I like the experiment and will certainly do it again. From now on, I won't waste my negatives. I wish I'd have done it before.

Last edited:

anyone

Lovely colors and bokeh!

I'm very curious to try the Planar 110/2 and wondering if it would be worth the cost and hassle to move to a focal plane shutter Hasselblad model. I mainly just shoot my 80/2.8 right now.
Thank you!

Every now and then, there comes a lens that justifies its own camera body. This is one of them.

Godfrey

There is a little story behind this experiment. The FP100c is the last remaining instant pack film for the Hasselblad Polaroid back. Unfortunately discontinued, I still have a few packages of this lovely film. Recently I read that the negatives can be reclaimed if the back of the instant film is treated with bleach. I had to try that out. The result looks like one of these instagram filters, but hey, they must have copied it from somewhere :D
Love the photo.

(bolded) ... Um, not quite. The crazy people at SuperSense have their One Instant film packs now. Sold in a set of three, there's one exposure per pack of a completely new, created from the ground up, color film. I have a few boxes of it left, I should try a couple of exposures in the Hasselblad back. :)

I do have two or three packs of FP100c left as well. Even at the exorbitant prices people are charging for it now, it's less than the On Instant film per frame (about US$12/frame ...)!

G

anyone

Love the photo.

(bolded) ... Um, not quite. The crazy people at SuperSense have their One Instant film packs now. Sold in a set of three, there's one exposure per pack of a completely new, created from the ground up, color film. I have a few boxes of it left, I should try a couple of exposures in the Hasselblad back. :)

I do have two or three packs of FP100c left as well. Even at the exorbitant prices people are charging for it now, it's less than the On Instant film per frame (about US$12/frame ...)!

G
Thank you!

You are right about supersense, but unfortunately the negative claiming process doesn‘t work there and it‘s really pricy. FP100c retails here about 50EUR/ 10 exposures.

arri

In the moment I´am tired of making 100% sharp images.
Today I shot a Kentmere 400 film and developed it in Wehner Developer.
I used a self made lens, made of one single glass element, a 75mm f/3.2
The glass is made of quartz which gives a unique charakter and blur.
It has a lot of optical foulds, nearly all possible but the quality can be driven by the aperture.
I used my Nikon F/801s

Godfrey

Utility Box - Santa Clara 2021
Voigtländer Perkeo II
Kodak Portra 400
- film expired for ten years
- processed as B&W in HC-110 @ EI 320
- digitized with Hasselblad 907x + Makro-Planar 120mm

enjoy! G

Godfrey

I've been having a lot of fun lately, shooting with a Kodak Retina rangefinder camera that's as old as I am. Just got another one that's in nearly perfect condition cosmetically, just needs a cleaning and service. I have nearly the whole system now...

Kodak Retina IIc w Schneider 50mm

Kodak Retina IIc w Schneider 80 and 35 mm, and Multifinder

Looking for the dedicated copy stand and close up lenses. ;)
Some photos in a little bit...

Enjoy! G