The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

chrism

10x8 takes lots of work. I've spent six hours (possibly all wasted) on this so far, and Flickr won't upload it.

So here it is from another site. Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, Ilford Hp5+ @640, Diafine in BTZS tubes, Epson V850 scan:

Chris

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This is an iPhone pic (complete with annoying reflections) of my first ever tintype. It's been 30 years since I used a large format camera and the advances in continuous lighting sure make it easier to compose and focus! The rapid processing of wet plates make it much more like the digital than the old sheet film experience. Not as fast as polaroids, but... well, it's different. I'd forgotten how beautiful a large ground glass image could be!

I took four plates today and will take more tomorrow, then I hope to have something nicer to share. I'm just too excited about getting anything. This is a workshop at the Penumbra Foundation.

--Matt (Is this the right forum? It's not really film....)

MGrayson

Here's another one from the workshop, scanned and dusted. My grandmother-in-law's tea set. 48 seconds at f/11 in very bright light.

--Matt

Paratom

Hi there,
I dont much how much comes from the large format and how much that probably many large format photographers are very good photographers- but I really love many of the images posted here! Thanks for sharing!

MGrayson

I fall for that one every time. Fun with Tech Cams. Fun with the Leica S. Fun with Large Format. The pictures are all fantastic, dammit!

It's the photographers. :cry::cry:

--Matt

(Of course, even realizing this, one can fool oneself with the "But if I like the equipment, I'll use it more and improve" argument. :cry:)

mathomas

That looks fantastic! I'm not sure I want to bother with 8x10, but it's definitely calling.

10x8 takes lots of work. I've spent six hours (possibly all wasted) on this so far, and Flickr won't upload it.

So here it is from another site. Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, Ilford Hp5+ @640, Diafine in BTZS tubes, Epson V850 scan:

Chris

Paratom

I fall for that one every time. Fun with Tech Cams. Fun with the Leica S. Fun with Large Format. The pictures are all fantastic, dammit!

It's the photographers. :cry::cry:

--Matt

(Of course, even realizing this, one can fool oneself with the "But if I like the equipment, I'll use it more and improve" argument. :cry:)
yes sure, great photographers, I still dig the smooth transitions of those images when a LF camera is in the right hands.

mathomas

Not sure why my Flickr links keep going bad (if I click the link I am taken to the photo), but here's another one:

howard's creek, clark co, kentucky by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Slight rear swing to emphasize right-hand cliff and control DoF.

Arca Swiss F-Line Basic 4x5
Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Super-Symmar
Fomapan 400 @ 250
Rodinal 1+50, 11 minutes

Last edited: