The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

"Everybody was Ring-necked parakeet fighting..."
X-H2S, XF100-400, after installation of firmware 3.0.
Yes, you X-H2s guys were presented a serious update this week. Did you notice any significant difference/improvement, Louis ?

bensonga

It would be "nice to have" the resolution of 50mp 65:24 image files, but the upressed 25mp GFX-50 file for the 13x38 inch print worked well enough, I guess. Very unlikely I would ever make pano prints larger than this.

G.

biglouis

Yes, you X-H2s guys were presented a serious update this week. Did you notice any significant difference/improvement, Louis ?
Yes, definitely an improvement. I only use the X-H2S for wildlife shooting (I prefer using my X-T4 for everything else). I've only had the chance so far to photograph birds in my back garden. However, the AF is less confused by background, better at tracking and seems to ignore obstacles in front of the subject once locked on. There are still instances where it won't lock on but when it does it is much stickier. All in all, you cannot fault Fuji when it comes to 'continuous improvement' which puts some other manufacturers to shame. I will stick my neck out and say that the camera is a competitor to the Z9 and the R3 at a significantly more affordable (relatively!) price and for my age/hands a more convenient weight and form factor. All in all, as I made the decision not to have a second system just for wildlife (e.g. Nikon/Sony/Canon), I don't think I am at a disadvantage any more.

Just my two cents and here is some proof of the pudding.

Focus on bird behind obstacles - one of ten frames, all in focus following the bird in the tree and remaining focussed.
_DSF6884-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Focus on bird in front of background - what is significant here is that in Lightroom, the new subject mask cannot find the bird, or the background so it is great that the AF could.
_DSF7241-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Focus not interrupted by a branch - a very common problem before Firmware 3.0, that while tracking the branch would have confused the AF.
_DSF7414-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

All in all, just nice focus!
_DSF7477-RAF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Knorp

Hey Louis, thanks. Great to see the new firmware brings the much needed improvements.
And that last shot is a real corker !

Kind regards.

bensonga

That is impressive AF performance for the captures/shots of the birds Louis. You mentioned in an early post that the 100-400 lens wasn't quite as good as it was reputed to be. I have one, but have rarely used it. Perhaps someday Fuji will release more long telephoto prime lenses for the X series, on par with the Olympus 300/4 Pro etc.

biglouis

That is impressive AF performance for the captures/shots of the birds Louis. You mentioned in an early post that the 100-400 lens wasn't quite as good as it was reputed to be. I have one, but have rarely used it. Perhaps someday Fuji will release more long telephoto prime lenses for the X series, on par with the Olympus 300/4 Pro etc.
Indeed. The lack of a long prime (I found the XF200mm to be just too short) is a hole in the Fuji line up. I have seen some impressive results adapting the Canon 400mm f5.6 L to the X-H2S with a Fringer adapter. One thing which does improve the IQ of the 100-400 in post processing is using DxO PureRAW2 rather than Lightroom. Not sure why the DxO product improves the sharpness but it can be significant compared to Lightroom.

LouisB