The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Lytro arrived today

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Allright Woody, I waited 3 hours. What's going on?
That has some very interesting possibilities.
.........Don

OlliL

Maybe Woody realized, that the jpg exports didn't match his standards? ;)

Sorry for :deadhorse: , but that's the thing, which keeps me away from this (first of it's kind) camera. I'm pretty sure that ongoing development will greatly improve them, tho.

Anyway, let's see something Woody! :thumbup:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Don't bother with this thing.

The focus stuff actually works - that part is amazing. So . . . at least there's no focus lag.

Problems:

The dinky screen is very hard to use in daylight. It's guess and shoot.

Remarkably poor jpegs. I haven't seen anything like this from a camera since 1998 or so.

These are show stoppers for me so it doesn't make sense to spend the time to explore this odd object any further.

No way to export images from proprietary software except online sharing services.

I resorted to screen shots.

Here's an example demonstrating the foregoing. In one I selected the label on the spotlight as a focus point, in the other it's the chrome bow light. On the actual boat the white lines on the deck aren't outlined with black lines - that all jpeg artifact. Pretty amazing.

I'm keeping it. It may have value as a curiosity some day.

The packaging was really nice. They seemed to have learned this much from Apple.

R

richard.L

wait till you lose your lens cap ...

this they learned from design school ...

I used mine to make portraits of people with their film camera...

OlliL

Oh wow, that does really look even worse, than I expected. :(
Basically I like the idea, but for now it doesn't seem usable, unfortunately.

mazor

Indeed Woody Campbell, think it will be a good collectible item maybe in the future as the first lytro camera to be released to the masses.

Pity about the inability to export JPG properly. I suspect they want the viewers to be able to change the point of focus as they please and ability to only export to online sites that support lytro rendered images, rather than you choosing it for a single focal point JPG.

The concept is good, the implementation seems too beta to me.

Shashin

Was there really an expectation that this would be more than a cool toy? I will probably get one for our imaging center and explore the technology for some scientific applications.

Terry

Pity about the inability to export JPG properly. I suspect they want the viewers to be able to change the point of focus as they please and ability to only export to online sites that support lytro rendered images, rather than you choosing it for a single focal point JPG.
This was ultimately my deciding factor of not getting it and watching from the sidelines. I am the one who wants to control my image. I want to pick my focus point and show my vision to the viewer.

V

Vivek

Woody, Thanks for the report! :)

Despite the prominent coverage on the big sites, I never thought this is a viable device. Good to know its limitations from an actual user.

250swb

I don't see the problem. Until the technology is improved treat it as a digital Holga, so the type of photograph you make with it has to be different from what works with normally expected levels of sharpness and tone. It looks like good fun :)

Steve

atanabe

I don't see the problem. Until the technology is improved treat it as a digital Holga, so the type of photograph you make with it has to be different from what works with normally expected levels of sharpness and tone. It looks like good fun :)

Steve
It was made to take photos for the social media sites and as such, low res. I agree that it is like a digital Holga, use it as such.

As far as losing the lens cap, shoot them an email and if you ask nicely, one will be in the mail free of charge.