The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Scanner has banding issues

MartinN

So, for quite a while I have been scanning slide film and black and white. With good results. However, lately I decided to try C41 at home with a CineStill automatic heater. And so I loaded some color negative, shot and went developing. And scanning. But what, there was brown striping in homogenous areas. So, I thought ’bromide drag’ or uneven development, and decided to do vigourous agitation the next time. And so it went, and what, again some discoloured stripes. Now I thought it must be some stain or residue on the film. So I decided to mix new stabilizer and do washing between the steps. But what, there was striping again. Now I googled uneven development and someone suggested scanner banding. So I flipped the film upside down and scanned an compared. The striping had switched side on the image ! So it was the damned scanner and not my development that was wrong. I read that the blue channel is noisy and weak in RGB sensors and affects color negative badly because the orange masking. And certainly there was fluctuation in the blue channel, and it was much weaker than the other two. Now I start to understand why Rollei tried to introduce Digibase color negative film without orange mask. I double checked with my flatbed, and there was much less or none ’staining’ but I certainly don’t want the unsharpness and lousy resolution of a flatbed. Likewise I won’t buy a drum scanner or a Hasselblad. Sad feelings…, but at least I have decent negatives.

MartinN

When I played with software, the problems are really severe with Silverfast , due to unavoidable contrast boost. Vuescan is much better and I tried to fiddle with exposures and multisampling, but entirely clean I could not get it.

Shashin

Can we see the image? How dense are these negatives? I scan color negative material all the time and the orange mask is not a big problem.

MartinN

Can we see the image? How dense are these negatives? I scan color negative material all the time and the orange mask is not a big problem.
Yes, I can see if I can get something descriptive. However, what I have read the sensor and/or combined with the amplification circuit, in combination with a lot of gain/tweaking for inversion could be inferor or defective.

MartinN

Hmm. Todays thought. Maybe I could do a jpeg->dng lens cast correction file and use CaptureOne for applying LCC. But then I would have to buy a PRO version, and I'm using Sierra, so don't know how that would impact. I tried CornerFix for mac but the results were even more horrible, so I would like to know something works before I buy. Cornerfix was tedious because I had to convert all scans to DNG.

Shashin

You could try to shoot a neg of a flat evenly lit surface, develop it, and then scan. That could be your reference file. Off the top of my head, I can see a whole bunch of reasons why that might be tricky to use as a flat frame.

Have you photographed those images with a camera and then seen if the images have the banding? That would isolate the scanner from the process and have you look at just the developing.

What scanner are you using now?--the thread you pointed to suggest you were using something else.

MartinN

You could try to shoot a neg of a flat evenly lit surface, develop it, and then scan. That could be your reference file. Off the top of my head, I can see a whole bunch of reasons why that might be tricky to use as a flat frame.

Have you photographed those images with a camera and then seen if the images have the banding? That would isolate the scanner from the process and have you look at just the developing.

What scanner are you using now?--the thread you pointed to suggest you were using something else.
My scanner is Plustek Opticfilm 120, and I had no problems with it as new (bought many years ago).Then, for LF, I have the Epson V700, which as a check gives clean scans, although softer and with less resolution. When inspecting the negatives by eye, I also can’t see fluctuations. I tried beside Silverfast and Vuescan also the Negative Lab Pro, and Color Perfect Color Neg. As everyday workflow, I prefer scanners anytime to camera reproing. Which has been suggested, is to make a flat overexposed negative for ’reference’ or LCC. I have white acrylic and flashgun for that. Still, a scanner should deliver clean files out of the box, without extra fiddling. The real difficulty is that medium format film scanners in the mid price class are scarce. I personally would not bother with the plastic toys that were produced by Reflecta, Pacific Image and Braun, a few years ago. Now ALL scanners have disappeared from the market.

MartinN

By now, I have changed my mind again. Maybe it is messing with home C-41 and not my scanner. It is REALLY difficult to judge if a negative has unevenness, and my sight is perhaps not so perfect. Maybe I shoud test a shop C-41 again. At least I have played around with scanning software and got much better results with Vuescan. I think I had a little too many parameters to cope with. However, I taped my scanner film holders with black electricians tape, because I was seeing unevenness from opposite sides and indeed the film holders have different reflectivity on opposite sides. The taping did not improve side unevenness, and now I think I have spotted unevenness in the film negatives. At least I have clean Stabilizer now, and soon I will mix clean fixer and bleach to get clean solutions. Then I have to experiment with agitation, OR if everything fails, go back bringing and fetching the films from the shop….

MartinN

There is not typical digital banding, more a gradient of unevenness, maybe development or contamination.

MartinN

Here I have two Unprocessed (unfixed) files out of VueScan. The developing (Paterson Plastic) artefact is more visible on 6x6
than on 6x7, like some people have noticed. A solid uniform area near the film edge is obtrusive.

Right edge

Bottom edge

They went the same way in the spiral and development was about the same, but it seems I have some problems with that.