The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My sort of S-007 review..

M

mjr

I agree Adam, nicely exposed the 006 is an incredibly good camera, I'm hoping to have the 007 next week, I just want it to be as good at base ISO where I shoot 75% of the time and better higher up, I would be very happy! At ISO100 in the right conditions I think the 006 is unbeatable.

Looking forward to seeing David's review too.

Have a good evening

Mat

aDam007

I agree Adam, nicely exposed the 006 is an incredibly good camera, I'm hoping to have the 007 next week, I just want it to be as good at base ISO where I shoot 75% of the time and better higher up, I would be very happy! At ISO100 in the right conditions I think the 006 is unbeatable.

Looking forward to seeing David's review too.

Have a good evening

Mat
Looking at the S-006 and the S-007 ISO 100 DNG files. I'd give the edge to the S-006. But it's ever so slight. Like 1/4 a stop advantage at best in grain structure, and 1/2 stop in color noise. Something I think would probably process out from both files if I did my usual thing and made them both TIFF files for print. But I have to note, the S-006 base ISO has the advantage if you're splitting hairs.

Unless you're printing REALLY big, and looking close. I think they're both uber capable.
I haven't had issues at all with A0 prints on my S-006.

I could probably put up some side by sides.. But I'm telling you the difference is a lot more subtle then with the M240 and M9. And even that was blown out of proportion. However, if I'm shooting at 100 ISO and my pictures are well exposed, it's difficult not to love the S-006 files enough to seriously think twice about using any other camera.

Out of JPG files, different story. The S-006 still has the advantage there for some reason. Maybe just personal preference?
Thanks for the comments, Adam (and Mat). I am thinking of upgrading from an S2, and just not sure if I should find a mint 006 or pay extra for the 007. Same sensor and pixel sizes and lenses lend themselves to a unique side-by-side comparison. I'd also be interested in any comments you guys might have about post-processing. The CCD needs little if any. Not having a CMOS camera, I wonder if the 007 requires more PP.

M

mjr

I'm going to be interested in post processing too, I find it takes me months to get really comfortable with getting the most from my images, I found moving back to LR with the 006 hard after loving C1 with the Nikons and Phase back previously. I would use the 006 in C1 all the time if I could. I am looking forward to seeing what the CMOS does though.

I am not technical enough or rather don't care enough to understand why I prefer what I get from the 006 over the D800's I had before, extremely capable cameras but in some way just flat tonally when compared to the bigger sensor/ccd in the 006. I haven't used any camera since that gives that 3d visual effect, sort of depth that I don't see in smaller formats. I have read loads of people stating that in all measurable ways there shouldn't be a difference but there is to me and I guess I have the only opinion I care about!

I would very much like to keep the 006 as a backup to a 007 but I need a return on investment so will have to see, if the 007 is as good for me as Adam's images show then maybe I can be happy with a move back to CMOS. I have all the lenses I need now so it's just a body to produce what I want, exciting times!

Mat

fotografz

Between these examples, those of another photographer who beta tested the camera, and other reviews with images … I placed my order (the new price was a key factor).

Now I have to muster enough funds to keep my S(006) and use it for back-up while shooting tethered in studio with lighting @ ISO 100 with a second CS lens to avoid lens swaps while shooting.

Thanks for the input!

- Marc

aDam007

I'm going to be interested in post processing too, I find it takes me months to get really comfortable with getting the most from my images, I found moving back to LR with the 006 hard after loving C1 with the Nikons and Phase back previously. I would use the 006 in C1 all the time if I could. I am looking forward to seeing what the CMOS does though.

I am not technical enough or rather don't care enough to understand why I prefer what I get from the 006 over the D800's I had before, extremely capable cameras but in some way just flat tonally when compared to the bigger sensor/ccd in the 006. I haven't used any camera since that gives that 3d visual effect, sort of depth that I don't see in smaller formats. I have read loads of people stating that in all measurable ways there shouldn't be a difference but there is to me and I guess I have the only opinion I care about!

I would very much like to keep the 006 as a backup to a 007 but I need a return on investment so will have to see, if the 007 is as good for me as Adam's images show then maybe I can be happy with a move back to CMOS. I have all the lenses I need now so it's just a body to produce what I want, exciting times!

Mat
All cameras are like that. I couldn't tell you if it was "easier" for me to see the colors in the S-007 as a positive thing because I was using the M240 for so long. OR if they're much closer to the S-006 files from the get go.

I suspect it's a bit of both. But more leaning towards the second thought. With an added third. Which is it's hard to dislike the S-lenses :D

With processing in mind, I think it's probably familiar because I've been using the S-006 and the M240 in tandem a lot. With more of an emphasis on the M240. So maybe it's that I'm just use to processing two types of files to look like one.

I said in the review, I see a bit of that yellow/green bias to the S-007, that I've seen in the M240. Though much less so. AND I also see the greens in the shadows on higher ISO settings and when you push a file more then 2 stops in LR.

I don't think you'll dislike the S-007 files. But it's always good to have a backup when using Leica gear. Especially if you work with it enough.

I don't think I could afford two S-007 cameras. But I was toying with the idea of getting two S-006 cameras at one point, after seeing the price drop. So who knows what kind of kit I end up with in the end.

aDam007

Totally forgot to mention the DOF scale/calculator.

When you're using the camera it does that Batis thing.. But since the screen has more space, it gives you the readout in a easier to see/use way. I wouldn't use the feature often, but it's nice for group shots, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet.

Marc - I could see this being useful for you. Would probably help you decide in a split second if you could sacrifice some DOF for bokeh or not within each individual group shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Between these examples, those of another photographer who beta tested the camera, and other reviews with images … I placed my order (the new price was a key factor).

Now I have to muster enough funds to keep my S(006) and use it for back-up while shooting tethered in studio with lighting @ ISO 100 with a second CS lens to avoid lens swaps while shooting.

Thanks for the input!

- Marc
See above.

Stuart Richardson

I'm currently working on wrapping up my in-depth review on the S007. I took the camera to Iceland for nine days and also did some low-light street photography in NYC and Miami, as well as a tabletop still life for ISO comparisons. Stay tuned.
I can't believe you came to Iceland and didn't even come visit the studio!! I would have happily shown you around, and would have loved to see the 007...

peterv

Totally forgot to mention the DOF scale/calculator.
Yes, it's nice to have, one minor remark though about the distance read-out on the top-display, I think the order should be reversed so that it reads back/focus/front instead of front/focus/back. To me, this seems much more logical from the POV of the camera operator. Maybe Leica can make the order of appearance a menu option.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I can't believe you came to Iceland and didn't even come visit the studio!! I would have happily shown you around, and would have loved to see the 007...
Stuart, believe me, I thought about giving you a ring. Going it alone was tough at times.

Unfortunately, at the time, I wasn't permitted to tell anyone I had the camera. Iceland was such an incredible place, though. I'm sure I'll be back in the not-to-distant future and we can get together then!

peterv

From the review:

Odd Quirks – Leica’s constant reinvention of the wheel. In this case literally the shutter wheel… It doesn’t have numbers on it. The wheel will spin and spin and digitally the shutter will change. A quick look at the shutter dial will tell you nothing. No more shutter by feel. And Germany’s reason, now you use the shutter dial to zoom in and out of your images. Genius right? No, it was fine before.

Hi Adam, thanks for the review. I'm reading it for the second time now.

Just wanted to say I would not be bothered by the missing numbers on the shutter wheel. I like the much cleaner design. And besides, I know what settings I'm in when I switch on the camera, and I can count clicks while looking through the viewfinder.

Thanks to your wife for the kind modelling work. Great rendering of your 100mm.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

I saw your review on l-camera-forum... will it appear here?

Excellent pictures!

Best,

Matt

JMacD

I'm currently working on wrapping up my in-depth review on the S007. I took the camera to Iceland for nine days and also did some low-light street photography in NYC and Miami, as well as a tabletop still life for ISO comparisons. Stay tuned.

Oh, and I didn't baby it....

David, how long will it take to wrap up your in-depth review of the S007?

Now that Jono has published, it's just you we are waiting on.

Yeah, I know you are having a difficult time editing down the 2,000 shots you want to publish...

Jack

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, how long will it take to wrap up your in-depth review of the S007?

Now that Jono has published, it's just you we are waiting on.

Yeah, I know you are having a difficult time editing down the 2,000 shots you want to publish...

Jack
Today!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
It was brought to my attention on other forums that many were seeing overly saturated images in my review and field report. Turns out my web publishing software had been updated to use a resizing software library that was dropping the ICC profile for the resized inline images in the article. This didn't affect my full size images brought up when clicking on the inline ones, but seems most people never clicked for larger views. This was especially problematic on high gamut monitors. I pulled up the review on an NEC SpectraView at work and some of the colors were downright nuclear.

I changed over to a different graphics engine on my website and regenerated all of the medium images. They now have the correct ICC profile embedded. If you felt upon first viewing that the images were wonky due to camera color or LR profiles, please have another look.

Thanks!

Bundestrainer

I'm considering to buy a used S2. Can someone tell me if the sensor in the S2 and the S type 006 is the same. I've been researching the answer to my question for some time now but couldn't find it...