The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ND filter for SK 35 & SK 90

shfoto

I am looking for ND filters for my SK35 & SK90. I read Vieri's excellent reviews on filter systems and holders. But then I realized that both the SK 35 and SK 90 have rather small filter threads - 52 mm for the SK35 and 40.5 mm for the SK90. Guess, a 100 mm filter system would be somewhat an overkill. Any suggestions/recommendations for other options?

Thanks, Stephan

Boinger

I like breakthrough filters.

They are fairly color neutral and you can get them in any thread size.

Other option is use step up rings.

Paul2660

I use a 52mm to 77mm step ring on my 35SK, either with a standard 77mm filter or the H&Y setup. If you go this route, get the Heliopan ring as it's much heavier and will not easily bend. With the IQ4, I have been able to shoot the 35SK without the CF as long as I don't shift. If you need a CF then that takes you from the 52mm to 72mm (I believe that's the outer size, I know it's not 77mm). CF makes a huge difference on the SK35 with any other back I have used, P45+, IQ160, IQ260, IQ180, IQ250 and IQ3100. The IQ4 can get very good results without it.

Paul

dchew

I use a step up ring for both my sk35 and sk90, along with the H&Y system. To confirm what Paul said, the CF on the sk35 (IIf) is 72mm.

Dave

shfoto

Thanks for your comments, Paul & Dave! I see, it comes down to using a number of step up rings to attach the filter holders... But luckily Helioplan offers a wider range of them. Thanks for pointing this out, Paul!

I use Wine Country filters, I bought a 67mm and a 62mm adapter ring and a set of ND filters @ 77mm this set up works on all my Nikon lenses and some hasselblad lenses and most of my large formay lenses

vieri

I am looking for ND filters for my SK35 & SK90. I read Vieri's excellent reviews on filter systems and holders. But then I realized that both the SK 35 and SK 90 have rather small filter threads - 52 mm for the SK35 and 40.5 mm for the SK90. Guess, a 100 mm filter system would be somewhat an overkill. Any suggestions/recommendations for other options?

Thanks, Stephan
Hey Stephan,

thank you for the kind words. Sorry for being late to reply, I just got home after months on the road with very little time for forum activity.

About your conundrum, I would still go for a 100mm filter system, given the opportunity. Unless you plan on never getting any lenses with a larger filter thread, I think 100mm makes sense and makes your system future-proof. Just my .02 of course.

Best regards,

Vieri