The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need GFX100 Setup Help

jecxz

Hi Guys,

I could use some help; I have a particular way of working and need the camera to work my way. I have finished reading the manual and I cannot get the setup answers that I need. Here is how I want the camera to operate and thank you in advance for your setup guidance.

1. Front dial for Aperture only (I want the lens aperture to be set by the dial, not by the lens ring). I found the menu option to set the dial to Aperture however it doesn't always work and the menu option shows 3 assignments to the single dial - huh? I need it to be in A priority, so when I set the aperture (turn the dial), the camera sets the shutter.

2. Rear dial for exposure compensation - I do not want to have to press the +/- button every time. I found the menu option to only press it once, not hold it down, but I do not want to have to press it at all. When I turn the rear dial is should shift the shutter speed only.

3. What lens setting do I need the ring to be in for the above C or A? I assume A stands for Auto? C is what, Continuous? Country? Cow? Confused?

This camera is very nice, however, I am confused enough, please help me set to the above because right now it's a total brick to me; I am an artist, not a technician. I need to simplify this bad-boy so it works without requiring me to think like an engineer. I promise I will have more questions! Again, thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Derek

ron787

Hi Derek,
I cannot address all of your concerns due to the fact that we approach camera use differently, but the "C" position on the lens allows one to change Aperture from the front dial. With the lens set to "C", click inwards once on the dial and it will switch from ISO to Aperture. Click again and you're back to ISO. "A" tells the camera to set the aperture automatically, and is basically, shutter priority mode. For manual, select any aperture position on the lens aperture ring. Hope that helps, but experiment with the settings some and you will figure it out, the manual could have been better written.
Best wishes and enjoy the great camera, I know that I do.
Ron

Last edited:

Rand47

What Ron said.... AND.... for the EC w/ the rear dial, put the EC button in “switch” mode (as it sounds you have) and push it ONCE and forget it. It will put the rear dial in EC control and stay there, unless you accidentally push the EC button again (hard to do). My GFX 100 was set up this way and has stayed that way for over a year w/o an accidental EC button push. That setting persists even when the camera is turned off and on.

Rand

jecxz

Thank you Ron and Rand! It seems I am slowly discovering the many facets of this camera system and I'm quite impressed. Yes the EC button only requires a one time press, I think I can live with that, however, I wonder why someone would need to unlock the exposure compensation ever, maybe someone made an accident?

I managed to figure out how to re-program the dials. I was on a shoot the other evening in Aperture mode and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go beyond 30 seconds! Later that night I read in the manual I have to be in Manual mode; this is a learning process. I think I'm up to the task ;)

Kind regards,
Derek