The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Negative feedback!!!

NB23

I see two errors here:

-You sent the guy an unoriginal Black paint Leica.
-You cherish and value too much an unoriginal BP Leica. If it's not original, there's no point in freaking out on the fihish as much as you do.

The way I understand it, the buyer was willing to use his "original BP" camera as he saw fit. He realized it wasn't an original and returned it to you. I don't see why he should be responsible for the marks. He was using it in good faith.

I guess this is the price to pay for being misinformed and misinform others on the way.

SKueh

Thank you for your comments.
Let get few thing clarified:
1. The series # of the camera is listed as "black" on CameraQuest and as "lack" on Hove Foto" Leica Pocket Book 5th Edition", so it is not de-chromed and repainted.
2. I told the buyer the camera was "refurbished by Leica". I never used the word "original" when describing the camera. Where did I misled the buyer?
3. How I cherish and value my equipment is my own business, be it a piece of junk.
4. I just received a PM from a member of this forum who I do not know before. He wants me to told you that there is a third thing wrong. In his word:
"You can tell Mr. NB23, or whatever his name is, at least one member thinks there's a third thing wrong, and that's a lack of consideration and care exercised by the buyer, when he decided to dump his purchase back on the seller, with a total disregard for care of the product".

NB23

My whatever name is EnBeeTwentyThree. And I am only interested in my own opinion. As far as I can tell, the marks are from absolutely normal use. If you can please pass the message to your anonymous messenger, thank you.

Ginko

Well, it's true that it's really unfortunate to ship photographic material like this.
It happened to me once from a regular seller here (Bruno), a Summilux 50 Asph shipped in its box, without the leather pouch, inside a simple Spanish postal service plastic without any protection...

I mean, the minimum with photographic material (and any fragile and sensible things) is to pack them with care and safely. It doesn't cost much more time to do so. Like Leica does when returning things you sent them (got back the 50LA in a big box, with perfect protection inside for the lens and its box... Reassuring. :D).

Farnz

... He realized it wasn't an original and returned it to you. ...
Ned,

You've missed the point. In the original thread that's linked to in Skueh's first post the buyer knew that it wasn't an original BP M2 because he wrote:

Got a refurbished M2 from Skueh, still open to any other BP M.

Skueh,

Sorry to see the condition you're BP M2 was returned in and the value that's been detracted from an article that's obviously been so carefully cared for until now.

Pete.

f8orbust

I see two errors here:

-You sent the guy an unoriginal Black paint Leica.
-You cherish and value too much an unoriginal BP Leica. If it's not original, there's no point in freaking out on the fihish as much as you do.

The way I understand it, the buyer was willing to use his "original BP" camera as he saw fit. He realized it wasn't an original and returned it to you. I don't see why he should be responsible for the marks. He was using it in good faith.

I guess this is the price to pay for being misinformed and misinform others on the way.
Er, no - this isn't FleaBay it's GetDPI - where I expect to be treated as well as I treat others - 'tough luck' has no place here. The goods should have been returned in the identical cosmetic and functional condition in which they were sent. Period. That's my return policy, and the policy of many others as well, I'm sure.

The packaging is a joke - from Shanghai in a DHL bag with no padding, insured for $30. Really? If it had gone missing would you now be telling the seller that it was his (or her) fault?

From my reading the seller provided enough information to the buyer for them to be clear as to whether or not they wanted to proceed with the transaction. Since this is the internet - not a place (generally) for face-to-face transactions, the time for the buyer to get a third-party to check the credentials of the item was prior to the transaction taking place, not afterwards. If in doubt, ask more questions, for more photographs - do your research. If you get the item and you're still not sure, don't go out and use it and then decide to return it. You can't do that with a new pair of shoes, so why think you can do it with a big-ticket item bought via a forum that you might need to return.

As far as PayPal is concerned, unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath - the buyer seems to have all the power these days, but you never know. There's nothing as convenient, but Escrow services (e.g. escrow.com) have a lot going for them.

SKueh

These are photos of my packing when I shipped the camera to the buyer. I was expecting he could use the same box when he returned the camera to me.

rayyen

Hi Seller, I feel bad for your horrible experience. I'm a Leica fans too and I do love and cherish my black paint collection. Couldn't imagine if it happens on me...

monza

A week later, the buyer e-mailed me that he was told the camera was not an original Leica BP M2 because it has a chrome film advance lever cover (screw) and a short fat film advance lever.
The sad part of this affair is that these in no way disqualify a camera as being an original BP. Leica produced many build combinations. Some original BP Leicas have chrome strap lugs, some have black painted ones, for example.

lowep

Jose1

Two hours after JOSE1 claiming to be from Spain joined up as a member of getdpi.com forum that was 2 days ago he sent me an offer via email (not PM) to sell his camera to me in reply to a WTB ad I had posted.

Unfortunately the id photo in his email was the same one as another person from UK had posted on Facebook. He claimed this was a case of identity theft.

Unfortunately the photo of "his" camera kit arranged on a garden table he sent me was identical with one posted on ebay by a seller in Washington, USA. Maybe another case of identity theft?

You decide if you want to deal with him. I'm afraid I don't. But maybe if you do think twice before going ahead.

lowep

jimemicheal

This guy joined up on 20 June and the same day sent me a message about a WTB ad I posted asking me to send him my email address so he can send me photos etc etc. A quick search for the email address he asked me to contact [email protected] indicates he is a known scammer, as you can see here:

***Important Please Read If you are posting in this section***UPDATED 10/19***

and here:

[email protected] in chattanooga, Tennessee gun classifieds -gunlistings.org

The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I posted a different WTB ad and got a reply from a different new member who had also joined up the same day he contacted me, so it may be the same person just using different email addresses and/or registering with different member names?

Lloyd

Seller: gear64 (Actually does not appear on the members list)
Phony Name: "Tom Mastroberardino" [email protected]
PayPal: [email protected]
Problem: Total Scammer!

On July 7th I got an email via the forum system in response to a WTB ad I had placed some time ago. To be honest, I didn't take the time to vet him, but just responded to his email indicating interest. He sent pics of the item, and we agreed on a price. I paid via PayPal, and then NOTHING happened.

I contacted him several times on email address [email protected] ("Tom Mastroberardino", which appears to be a fake name, although there is a person by that name, and almost the same email in Italy.) asking about shipment. He then responded that there would be "Customs" of $400.00 on the item (for which was paying $385.00), claimed it was a "new law in Canada", and asked me to send the $400.00. When I refused and asked for a refund, he said he no longer had the $$$ in his PayPal account, but that someone was going to send him money, and he asked me to receive it, keep my refund amount, and then Western Union him the difference. I also refused this scam.

I contacted him a number of times asking for a refund, but he stopped responding. Fortunately, I had paid through PayPal with a credit card, and was able to get my bank to request a refund, which I have now received.

mmbma

Seller: FSOT
Item: Alpa Phase one Grip
Amount: $600
Problem: payment made but the seller had gone radio silent

Member FSOT told me that he does not accept paypal so I sent him a personal check. It was cleared on 8/14. The seller had since gone radio silent and I could not get a response from him since.

I will refrain from labeling the transaction a scam because I've seen many listings by this member on this forum and there might be a legitimate reason why he hasn't logged on for two weeks. I will wait another week then disclose his real name and address in the U.S. to which I sent the check. If there are other members here who have done business with FSOT could you please share your experience?

jagsiva

Seller: gear64 (Actually does not appear on the members list)
Phony Name: "Tom Mastroberardino" [email protected]
PayPal: [email protected]
Problem: Total Scammer!

On July 7th I got an email via the forum system in response to a WTB ad I had placed some time ago. To be honest, I didn't take the time to vet him, but just responded to his email indicating interest. He sent pics of the item, and we agreed on a price. I paid via PayPal, and then NOTHING happened.

I contacted him several times on email address [email protected] ("Tom Mastroberardino", which appears to be a fake name, although there is a person by that name, and almost the same email in Italy.) asking about shipment. He then responded that there would be "Customs" of $400.00 on the item (for which was paying $385.00), claimed it was a "new law in Canada", and asked me to send the $400.00. When I refused and asked for a refund, he said he no longer had the $$$ in his PayPal account, but that someone was going to send him money, and he asked me to receive it, keep my refund amount, and then Western Union him the difference. I also refused this scam.

I contacted him a number of times asking for a refund, but he stopped responding. Fortunately, I had paid through PayPal with a credit card, and was able to get my bank to request a refund, which I have now received.
Just for reference, there are no customs fees in Canada for equipment originating from the US. For Photo equipment, there is no duty from anywhere as far as I know.

...and certainly NOT when shipping out of Canada!

mmbma

Seller has gotten in touch with me and has shipped the item. It is currently in transit. Will request for removal once I receive and confirm it.

Seller: FSOT
Item: Alpa Phase one Grip
Amount: $600
Problem: payment made but the seller had gone radio silent

Member FSOT told me that he does not accept paypal so I sent him a personal check. It was cleared on 8/14. The seller had since gone radio silent and I could not get a response from him since.

I will refrain from labeling the transaction a scam because I've seen many listings by this member on this forum and there might be a legitimate reason why he hasn't logged on for two weeks. I will wait another week then disclose his real name and address in the U.S. to which I sent the check. If there are other members here who have done business with FSOT could you please share your experience?

mmbma

Request to remove negative feedback. The seller got in touch with me, shipped the item, and I received it intact. He was on an extended break and had no access to the internet.

Seller has gotten in touch with me and has shipped the item. It is currently in transit. Will request for removal once I receive and confirm it.

med

Just for reference, there are no customs fees in Canada for equipment originating from the US. For Photo equipment, there is no duty from anywhere as far as I know.

...and certainly NOT when shipping out of Canada!
I know this was a long time ago, but for anyone who happens upon this, I can confirm that I had to pay some small duties (in addition to the usual taxes) on photo equipment originating from Sweden. Since I was clearing the item in person with the customs agent, I was sure to get the category and the country of origin right.... the equipment was from Hasselblad, of course. I suspect most don't have to pay the duties (just taxes) for this stuff as the standard declaration forms for USPS/Canada Post, etc don't offer any place for the sender to put in brand name or country of origin... unless the customs officer opens up the item, they won't actually know the country of manufacture.