The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Negative feedback!!!

SYGTAFOTO

Lazzaros,

With all due respect, I've seen your ads here and you seem like a good person in general to deal with. Your pictures have always been on that table with same lighting and everything else.

The problem here is that you have not done a thorough inspection of the lens before selling. Yes, the buyer has some responsibiity to ask more questions to make sure of the condition, but you as a seller also has the responsibility to thoroughly inspect and describe the lens. I will go out on a limb and assume that the buyer trusted your description of Mint because like you said, you sold may things here with no issues.

In the end, I think the main responsibility lies with you the seller for incorrectly describing the condition of the lens, and very small in part by the buyer for not asking for more detailed pictures.

I hope that you can get this sorted out so that you do not leave a bad reputation on this forum... I liked your selection of lenses for sale.

Lazzaros

Scott you are right and I assume that.

I explained that to Jor on that email when I said that the scratches could be there but I didn't see them. I never used the lens and I only had it in my hand to do the pictures. I assume that I didn't noticed the scratches when I inspected the lens. Maybe I should wait till the daylight to see it better as I looked inside the lens and I didn't see them.

The picture itself doesn't show the scratches and I thought everything was ok.

What I think it is unfair is people judging instead of trying to help as you did.

Regards

mathomas

Jor I thought we talked about the situation and I explained myself to you. By the way you could inform me about this post to give me a chance to explain.

As I think all of you can see, I took pictures and I never hide the look of the equipment I sell. I didn't see the scratches and I wouldn't tell that the lens was in mint condition if I saw them. I'm not here to cheat anyone since I'm selling many items all the time.

We are all humans and a mistake can happen but I explained I can't refund the money and get the lens back. I would pay something like 30% of the lens value (and our customs go to ebay to check prices if they want) and I can't do anything about that. I can say it is my lens and they don't care...

I already told to Jor that I'll try to get a buyer for the lens inside my contacts.

What I think that is totally unfair is that I already sold dozens of items and I never got any positive word... When one deal goes wrong everyone likes to say something even when they don't know the person...

It's unfortunate that you didn't get positive feedbacks for your good transactions. I know you have sold lots of stuff here.

However, that is not at issue here. On this transaction, the scratches on the lens element were only one condition issue (the worst one). But additionally, the body of the lens has plenty of paint missing, and even one place that looks like a dent. This cannot be described as "mint".

As English is not your first language, perhaps you don't know the definition of "mint":

Definition (5) from dictionary.com:

"unused or appearing to be newly made and never used: a book in mint condition."

(I present this definition with sincerity, not to be mean).

Photos of the lens by the buyer indicate that the lens is clearly not "mint". I hope you agree now that you know the definition. If someone honestly describes an item as "mint" there should be no additional questions to ask, regarding its condition.

The standards here are high (and we obviously like it that way). You have sold a lot of interesting items here. I hope you can continue to do so, but being defensive in this particular instance will not get you the good will of the members.

Chunin

I would have to be beyond blind to say that you can not notice the mark on the optics or the body. There is no way you can miss it. It is totally dishonest to say the least. And you are trying to find a buyer for the lens, come on! Now you need to con someone else to do that? I don't think the original buyer is going to participate in that. And should not. That lens inthe current condition is not worth 30%. Forget the positives of the previous sales. Only when things go wrong, you can see the real character of a person. Only then.

Jor I thought we talked about the situation and I explained myself to you. By the way you could inform me about this post to give me a chance to explain.

As I think all of you can see, I took pictures and I never hide the look of the equipment I sell. I didn't see the scratches and I wouldn't tell that the lens was in mint condition if I saw them. I'm not here to cheat anyone since I'm selling many items all the time.

We are all humans and a mistake can happen but I explained I can't refund the money and get the lens back. I would pay something like 30% of the lens value (and our customs go to ebay to check prices if they want) and I can't do anything about that. I can say it is my lens and they don't care...

I already told to Jor that I'll try to get a buyer for the lens inside my contacts.

What I think that is totally unfair is that I already sold dozens of items and I never got any positive word... When one deal goes wrong everyone likes to say something even when they don't know the person...

ibcj

If you take action on this quickly, I think that opinions will change. If you wait to help the buyer or if you do nothing, it will only make things worse.
Best to find a solution with the buyer.

Lazzaros

Chinin I already saw your character and I never bought anything from you.

Mike thanks for the definition. The lens has that little marks (in the pictures they look 10 times bigger as I think you know) and looking for the lens in general they were too small to influence my description. I assume that maybe I need to be more specific in the description but to me (as I didn't see the scratches) the lens would be in mint condition due the age it has. I understand that the definition could be wrong but I didn't do that to cheat any buyer.

I understand now that "mint" condition could be interpretaded in many ways but I need to be more precise when describing the item as "mint".

I'm an honest person and I'm trying to solve the problem but the way I do that is between me and Jor. When you say that this item won't value 30% of the price, first you'd need to know how much Jor payed for it and second you should know about these lenses prices... I'd be glad if you don't post that non helping comments. I see you had many problems in the past dealing with people but I don't know you and I don't need your opinions as you are not trying to help. This is not an open circus to send me tomatoes I think...But maybe I'm blind...

Terry

It is very easy to solve by letting the lens be returned. You don't know for sure that checking the box "returned item" is not sufficient. In addition there is a lot of documentation readily available to show that it was returned.

So, why don't buyer and seller spend the next day working out the details and we can all stop posting for a bit and see if a resolution can be found.

linjor

I did ask you to explain yourself and here was one email you replied.

I inspected the lens and I took pictures of it. If I saw that I would let the people know about them.

I'm sorry but it is impossible to return the lens.

You can leave your feedback as you want.

I'm sorry anyway.

Regards,
Ivo

So what should I do after received such answers? The only thing I can do is post my experience and try to help other members not involving the bad transaction I met. And Just like I told you by email, I will withdraw my comments once you find me a buyer which was the way you offered.

The reason that you can't accept the return is high value of customs so what happen to my loss? You, as the seller, has the responsibility to describe the item correctly, especially for the one who sold over 2000+ items. Also please check what I found at the original picture you used for sale. Look like those scratches were there when you took the picture but you just didn't notice them.

I would consider partial refunds since you have problems with your customs and your big expense(really don't see the reason why I should care about this), but not €100 you offered or find me a potential buyer as you promised. Let's discuss the details by email and I will update if this thing was solved no matter via which ways.

Thanks for all the comments!

denrusso

I assume that maybe I need to be more specific in the description but to me (as I didn't see the scratches) the lens would be in mint condition due the age it has. I understand that the definition could be wrong but I didn't do that to cheat any buyer.
So I saw this fragment of a bowl that was 3,000 years old - even though it was this tiny piece I called it 'mint'!

Lazzaros you are wrong - there is no way around it. Take the return and refund the money otherwise please leave...

Thanks,
dr

fbf

Making false descriptions is one thing, denying the problem and refusing return/refund is another. You are not really making a good case for yourself.

Leicadoc

Ivo:
You need to take the the lens back. Your buyer didn't know about the scratches, either.
It is not his fault; maybe it is not yours either. But the result is that you sold him a lens he can not be satisfied with. He should not take a loss. He should not, as you suggest, sell this lens to someone else. That would be dishonest, and we are all sure you don't want that.
I am sorry that you would "take the hit", but he fact is that if you want to sell here again, you will have to do the right thing and take the lens back. I almost contacted you about buying this lens as well. I didn't because you are in Portugal. Others won't even bother to look at your ads in the future, if you don't fix this.
I am sorry this costs you additionally. But YOU have to be honorable, and fix this with your buyer. This is not complicated.

Lazzaros

Umesh your contribution helped a lot to solve this current problem.

Me and Jor got a solution but he will update the situation.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
The misunderstanding seems to be that Ivo thinks " mint" is a relative term, dependent on the age of the item. In every single buy/sell I have ever been involved in, "mint" means an item in new condition, virtually indistinguishable from new. The error in the description was the seller's as the scratches on the lens elements were not the only issue; the nicks and dings on the lens body (also not shown in the photos) would also disqualify this lens from a "mint" rating. Now the seller needs to make good on his error, even if it means eating a loss. If he does that it will be a good investment in goodwill that will pay him dividends on future sales. If he does not refund, there will likely be no future sales. And of course, now "mint" will be used very carefully.

sidmuer

I did not read the original post, nor do I know 100% what the seller is thinking.
but, in my opinion, I would have to describe this as user condition at best if I were selling it.
I would also have to take some test shots at F11 pointed at a clear part of a blue sky and confirm if those scratches show up in photos, and report those findings in my ad.

apsheng

In my opinion there are only two possibilities:

1) gross misrepresentation by the seller, or
2) gross negligence by the seller in assessing the condition of the lens.

In either case, it reflects poorly on the seller, and on top of that he has been reluctant to take responsibility. I would not deal with him regardless of the outcome.

Alan