The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.
Totally agree and for me doing corporate podium work, I'm always on the edge. This should help me a great deal

jonoslack

People can argue till the cats come home if it is better or worse than the Oly cams , I say I shoot Sony now so who cares as long as it does the job. This is a big reason I have my heart on saying this is the Camera of the Year 2014. This is a big plus right here, solid mount and much much better ergos.
Hi There Guy
Having used the E-M1 since it came out, I've got quite a lot of insight into that. Olympus have some great ideas (the push/pull MF is really nice) and some great lenses (notably the 75 f1.8 and the new 40-150 f2.8 zoom). I suspect their IBIS works a little better, but as you've proved to yourself, the A7ii IBIS works really well.

Yesterday I did a country brick wall test (flat hedge) between the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 zoom and the Sony / Zeiss 24-70 f4. I was expecting the Zuiko to be much better, but it was only a little better in the corners, and not really as good in the middle.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the next Olympus announcement in January, but my current reaction is that the A7ii is going to win this time.

I was really surprised that they came out with it - but for me it solves all the problems of the A7 (and some).

I will still be using my M with most M lenses most of the time (I still think it's the better solution for me personally, especially for wide angle), but I'm very close to honing down to only the M and the A system (a really good partnership I think).

Still - I'm not going to be precipitate, but I do like this camera (Oh Yes).

High ISO isn't that bad either (ooc - no noise reduction):

ISO 6400 1/40th f4 24-70 zoom at 39mm

Guy Mancuso

Im just dying here waiting for C1 support for this cam and see the file quality. Im not a fan of ACR although the house shots look good. Im thinking I can do better with C1 with regards to noise. Well see. If Im clean at ISO 1600 than Im a pretty happy camper

nostatic

I agree that the Oly IBIS probably saved more shots (working from memory and knowing how sloppy I shoot). But there also is the significant sensor size difference as well as resolution and DOF differences. No free lunch. I think for certain applications the Oly is a perfect compromise. I got hooked on FF goodness so the A7 was a different set of compromises. The M2 just removes a couple of the annoying compromises...

I still miss the Oly 75/1.8. I loved that lens...

Guy Mancuso

BTW everyone , Great thread here and what I hoped it would be when i started it was some nice user reports. I hope it is a help to others.

The good news is a lot of users are feeling pretty much the same about it. Thats nice confirmation for this upgrade.

jonoslack

I agree that the Oly IBIS probably saved more shots (working from memory and knowing how sloppy I shoot). But there also is the significant sensor size difference as well as resolution and DOF differences. No free lunch. I think for certain applications the Oly is a perfect compromise. I got hooked on FF goodness so the A7 was a different set of compromises. The M2 just removes a couple of the annoying compromises...

I still miss the Oly 75/1.8. I loved that lens...
Hi There Todd
As you say - it's all compromises - I'm loathe to leave µ43 because of lenses like the 75 f1.8 and the lovely new 40-150 zoom (which is splendid). It's going to be tough to get small high quality telephotos for the A7 . . . . but but but . . . if it's only for occasional telephoto, then the Panasonic FZ1000 (or Leica V-lux) makes for a rather good option with it's 1" sensor.

If I'd known that this camera was coming I don't think I'd have sent back the A7s . . . but that's another story . . . Right now I'm just impressed with what is clearly a well rounded and excellent camera.

Guy Mancuso

Thats high praise my friend coming from you. I know you have had your issues with Sony as its well documented here. Glad to see you are liking this upgrade as well.

I try really hard not to sound to excited or bias but this cam makes that tough for me. Its hitting on all cylinders. The A7r needs this upgrade path.

nostatic

Hi There Todd
As you say - it's all compromises - I'm loathe to leave µ43 because of lenses like the 75 f1.8 and the lovely new 40-150 zoom (which is splendid). It's going to be tough to get small high quality telephotos for the A7 . . . . but but but . . . if it's only for occasional telephoto, then the Panasonic FZ1000 (or Leica V-lux) makes for a rather good option with it's 1" sensor.

If I'd known that this camera was coming I don't think I'd have sent back the A7s . . . but that's another story . . . Right now I'm just impressed with what is clearly a well rounded and excellent camera.
The telephoto conundrum is one of my issues. I don't need a long lens very often so it is hard to drop the coin (and haul around) a FF long zoom. The u4/3 are a lot more attractive from that standpoint, and the new 1" superzooms are really exciting - until I look at the files and go, "hey, where did my FF goodness go?" :D

Compromises indeed...

dwood

I won't be buying this camera (waiting on the next gen. a7r) but this thing sure sounds like a winner! I started out in the Sony camp when the a900 was released. More than a few of my photographer friends questioned that decision of mine. I'm feeling pretty good about being a Sony shooter right about now.

Guy Mancuso

I won't be buying this camera (waiting on the next gen. a7r) but this thing sure sounds like a winner! I started out in the Sony camp when the a900 was released. More than a few of my photographer friends questioned that decision of mine. I'm feeling pretty good about being a Sony shooter right about now.
The point here if i can expand on it is that what they did here should hopefully carry over to new product. Thats the good part

Godfrey

All the good reports are great to hear. I got into the A7 for my R lenses, and if I buy an A7II, it will again be for those lenses. The IS will be a plus, along with the other detail improvements.

The Elmar-R 180mm f/4 is my answer to a compact and light longish tele for FF. I rarely need/want longer, but if I do I will use my evergreen Olympus E-1 and the 50-200 lens. That lens on that camera produces tele results that are unlike and better than most anything else I've used, higher pixel count or larger format notwithstanding. And the dirt money they bring on the used market make selling it unpalatable.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All the good reports are great to hear. I got into the A7 for my R lenses, and if I buy an A7II, it will again be for those lenses. The IS will be a plus, along with the other detail improvements.

The Elmar-R 180mm f/4 is my answer to a compact and light longish tele for FF. I rarely need/want longer, but if I do I will use my evergreen Olympus E-1 and the 50-200 lens. That lens on that camera produces tele results that are unlike and better than most anything else I've used, higher pixel count or larger format notwithstanding. And the dirt money they bring on the used market make selling it unpalatable.

G
For my tele shooting I have now the EM1 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8 where I can add the new 1.4TC. This combo is absolutely the best I have shot in that range in all my photography life. Plus it is very small and light weight - will never be able to find that with FF.

Having said that the A7II seems to me the real first FE mount series cam which is getting interesting for me - and great thanks to all of you providing this information here! Will try and test as soon as it becomes available in Austria. Would make a great body for all my M glass ;)

Paratom

For my tele shooting I have now the EM1 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8 where I can add the new 1.4TC. This combo is absolutely the best I have shot in that range in all my photography life. Plus it is very small and light weight - will never be able to find that with FF.

Having said that the A7II seems to me the real first FE mount series cam which is getting interesting for me - and great thanks to all of you providing this information here! Will try and test as soon as it becomes available in Austria. Would make a great body for all my M glass ;)
if its comparable to the A7 than it is not great for M glass 35mm and shorter.
I believe its a great camera but I see it as second choice for M glass

nostatic

What is interesting though is that the 40-150/2.8 is about the same size/weight as the Sony 70-200/4. You do lose range on the long end, but then you've got FF and more pixels. So from a size/weight perspective you're mostly winning with the 200mm+ capability - which can be mission critical.

jonoslack

For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.
I think it's 3 stops. but more than that I think the noisy shutter and light body of the A7/r was at least minus one stop . So that where I needed to shoot 1/150th with the 75 cron I can get away with 1/10th now. That's not a slight improvement! Sure, it doesn't help with moving subjects but it's pretty good!

cam

An M camera is definitely still best for M lenses -- that, and I also prefer shooting them as they were intended (there's something that just still thrills in me with a rangefinder).

However, if Sony is your preference and you want to shoot your M glass, I haven't found a clunker yet on the A7s :D

ETA: From reading people's comments, I should add that I'm pretty much a b/w shooter, and a street one (whatever that means) at that.

Godfrey

I only rarely use the A7 for M-mount lenses. I've tested the Color Skopar 21 and 28, M-Rokkor 40, and the Nokton 40 and 50 on it: the best performers have been the M-Rokkor 40 and Nokton 50 of that lot, and the CS28 for B&W work (mostly due to color shifting). I mostly use the A7 with M-mount adapter for pinhole (Skink zone plate f/71) where it shines due to the very high sensitivity its capable of. I prefer to put M-mount lenses on the M9 or M4-2. :)

The A7 seems a natural for SLR lenses, however, and the A7II should be an improvement.

G

Paratom

An M camera is definitely still best for M lenses -- that, and I also prefer shooting them as they were intended (there's something that just still thrills in me with a rangefinder).

However, if Sony is your preference and you want to shoot your M glass, I haven't found a clunker yet on the A7s :D

ETA: From reading people's comments, I should add that I'm pretty much a b/w shooter, and a street one (whatever that means) at that.
I recently compared the 21/3.4 and 35/2.5 on the A7s vs the 16-35.
Its quite a difference in the corners in favor of the Sony lens. I checked because I would prefer the small 21mm prime over a big zoom...but for me its not an option to have corners like from a cheapo lens. Maybe nice effect for portrait but smeared corners is not what I am after.

Guy Mancuso

I just ordered the 16-35 after renting it for a trip to NY I decided I should have this zoom for my PR stuff but from what I saw its good for landscape stuff as well on the A7r.

dandrewk

Criticisms? Well, not many really - I have turned the camera off a couple of times when turning the front dial (they're a bit close).

Jono (the enabler) Slack
I've slightly altered my index finger on the shutter. Instead of using the finger tip, I've positioned it so the first knuckle rests on the shutter release button. This eliminates the "power switch confusion" and allows my middle finger to adjust the front dial. It feels very natural that way.