The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New custom DNG profile for Pentax 645z

torger

Here's new versions of my custom 645z profiles:

http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0100-pentax-645z-neutral-plus.dcp
http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0100-pentax-645z-neutral.dcp

It's not that I'm into making profiles that much, it's doing the software itself (DCamProf) that is my thing, but I've had quite much interest in the 645z profiles as the Adobe bundled profile is not that good.

The new versions fixes some clipping (extreme colors) and gradient issues (sunsets) with the old. The "Neutral+" is looks almost identical to "Neutral" but have some subtle adjustments:

- longer rolloff to white in skin-tone range to improve look of high-key portraits
- shorter rolloff to white in cyan-blue-magenta to improve color of skies
- slight warmup of midtones and highs in greens and yellows for making sunlit
areas stand out more in landscapes
- slight saturation increase, skin-tones excluded as well as already highly saturated
colors
- slight reduction of green component in oranges to get better separation between
greens and reds (for landscapes)

If you've used the previous version they look about the same with one major difference: blues are rendered lighter. This is both for a subjective reason (lighter blues improves tonality as it moves blues into a zone where the eye is more sensitive) and a technical one - many Sony sensors have such a sensitive blue that it becomes very hard to render blues realistically dark without aggressive LUT bends towards the gamut edges. By rendering the blues a bit lighter than realistic this problem is avoided.

The profile is still rendered from a single CC24 shot from Imaging Resource (I'm a Hassy user myself, I don't have a 645z). It works well for D50 light.

Thomas Fallon

Thanks so much. The Adobe profile is not good at all. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I load this into Lightroom? Do I need the same software you used?

torger

Thanks so much. The Adobe profile is not good at all. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I load this into Lightroom? Do I need the same software you used?
No, you just need to place it in the directory where Adobe Camera Raw expects to find user-provided DCPs.

Windows:
C:\Users\Your_username\AppData \Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

OS X:
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

Thomas Fallon

No, you just need to place it in the directory where Adobe Camera Raw expects to find user-provided DCPs.

Windows:
C:\Users\Your_username\AppData \Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

OS X:
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

After some difficulty finding the appropriate Mac folder, I just inserted my username into the line and dropped it into a Spotlight search. The folder opened right up and I dropped the profiles in. A big improvement over standard or embedded profiles that are the default.

After some difficulty finding the appropriate Mac folder, I just inserted my username into the line and dropped it into a Spotlight search. The folder opened right up and I dropped the profiles in. A big improvement over standard or embedded profiles that are the default.
Let me guess - you didn't find the Library folder? For future reference: when in finder, click Go on the menu bar and hold option to make it appear. Or, when in your username folder, right-click, "show view options" and at the bottom you'll find the "show Library" box, check it to have it on all the time.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Anders,

Do you have any interest in accumulating a library of profiles? I'd understand if you didn't want the hassle. You could take user submissions, but then curating might be difficult unless the profile and all input files were provided. Even then it would be a pain.

But if you decide to do it, I bet you'd get a LOT of interest. (I'd submit the A7II profiles you helped me build :cool:)

Great work!

Matt

torger

Yes at some point I'll probably do that. It's a bit early in the process though, the profile maker software is in development, I (and users) still find bugs and fine-tunings that needs doing. The posted 645z profiles here are not the final revisions for sure :)

Before going broader with a library I'd like to have a bit more stable software.

Anders,

Do you have any interest in accumulating a library of profiles? I'd understand if you didn't want the hassle. You could take user submissions, but then curating might be difficult unless the profile and all input files were provided. Even then it would be a pain.

But if you decide to do it, I bet you'd get a LOT of interest. (I'd submit the A7II profiles you helped me build :cool:)

Great work!

Matt

torger

Here's updated profiles. They've been updated due to generic fixes in the DCamProf tone reproduction. The base profile remains the same, and it's probably best to keep it that way while updates are related to tone reproduction operator rather than anything Pentax 645z specific.

(The tone reproduction operator is the thing that applies contrast to the flat colorimetric "reproduction style" profile, and modulates colors so they appear accurate despite the changed contrast)

Anyway what's fixed here is a shadow over-saturation issue, most evident in deep blues. Blue has got some additional special treatment. Why blue is so special and has needed so much special care is because it's weak in luminance and CIECAM02 is weak in high saturation blues. I'm now back again to no known issues in the tone reproduction, but I can't guarantee it will stay that way :). Consider also these profiles as "beta".

http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0102-pentax-645z-neutral.dcp
http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0102-pentax-645z-neutral-plus.dcp

Michiel Schierbeek

HELP :)

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 on it. I can't find the right way to install Torger's great Camera Profile for the Pentax 645Z. It was no problem on my other Window computers.

I put the Camera Profile in here: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

It does not show up in ACR!?

Do I overlook something or does Windows 10 need something extra? Can't figure it out.

tsjanik

HELP :)

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 on it. I can't find the right way to install Torger's great Camera Profile for the Pentax 645Z. It was no problem on my other Window computers.

I put the Camera Profile in here: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

It does not show up in ACR!?

Do I overlook something or does Windows 10 need something extra? Can't figure it out.
Michiel:

Try: C:>Users>your name>
AppData>Roaming>Adobe>CameraRaw>CameraProfiles

Tom

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel:

Try: C:>Users>your name>
AppData>Roaming>Adobe>CameraRaw>CameraProfiles

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I have been there many times but there I find a Index text file with camera names. I have the feeling Windows 10 needs a Installer program to get everything in the right places.

All the DCP files are here; where I put it: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard