The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fujifilm GFX 50S II Formally Announced

Steve Hendrix

We have some pages up on the just publicly announced Fujifilm GFX 50S II, the sequel to the original GFX 50S. This camera has been strongly rumored for some time. Times have certainly changed for medium format - when the GFX 50S was released in 2017, it retailed at $6,490. Just 4 years later, a new improved camera now at $3,999.

600022316_pt10_image_gfx50s-ii_left_diagonal_gf35-70-1536x1536-2.jpg
fujigfx50sii_sliderimage-copy-scaled-2000x970.jpg
600022316_pt23_image_gfx50s-ii_back_diagonal_lcdtilt_high-angle-1536x1536.jpg

My quick thoughts are:

- I thought it might be a more viable upgrade option for GFX 50R and GFX 50S owners, but the lack of PDAF (even though the contrast detect AF is double the readout speed) and HD rather than 4K video are concerning. Still, the 6.5 stop IBIS works amazingly well, and neither of those cameras offer any IBIS at all.

- A great backup option for a GFX 100/100S user, and a viable upgrade for someone in full frame or APC-S territory.

- Super impressed with the performance, size/weight, and price of the 35-70 zoom. It weighs 1.9 ounces more than the 50mm pancake lens and seems to slightly outperform the 32-64 zoom. At $999 for the lens (or $500 when bought with the GFX 50S II), it's a no brainer purchase, IMO.

We had a prototype in studio for just a couple days, some impressions and need to know details are below in the links. We are not a huge conglomerate, we're a personal full service, specialized dealer focused on medium format products, please consider us as a healthy alternative to the standard mainstream add to cart options for purchase.

10 Things You Need To Know

Reasons To Buy

Quick Look at the 35-70 Zoom

Order Here

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

Last edited:

ThdeDude

What will this do to P1! Will being near 645 format be enough of a differentiator?

Last edited:

rdeloe

Thanks for the post Steve, especially the links to some early testing you folks have done.

That 35-70 is tiny next to the 32-64. It looks to be about the size of the lens hood for the 45-100!

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for the post Steve, especially the links to some early testing you folks have done.

That 35-70 is tiny next to the 32-64. It looks to be about the size of the lens hood for the 45-100!

I have to say that wide to normal slow zooms aren't really my thing, but I had to put that aside for this lens - I can't believe how light it is. And yet, it performs. And ... the price.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Ray Harrison

What will this do to P1! Will being near 645 format be enough of a differentiator?
I wonder if it's more of a nominal hit on the FF35mm market? That said, I still don't know that I would move from my "old clunker" d850, which I adore. Outstanding IQ, outstanding lenses, great workflow - zippy autofocus, reasonable video (I don't really use it), nice customization. My decision criteria for purchasing an IQ4 ecosystem, which I also adore, was around flexibility (superb), lenses (amazing), image quality (amazing), workflow (fantastic for how I prefer to work). Cost comes into the picture, for sure, but it isn't always at the top of list. It's more of a "value" question (which is unique for each of us :) ). I think Phase ceded the 33x44 sensor market to Fuji, essentially, but there seems to be a pretty good relationship between Fuji and the new Capture One company so money is flowing both ways there :).

tcdeveau

Definitely looks like a nice entry into MF options out there!

Their updated lens roadmap looks interesting too - 20-35mm zoom, 55 f1.7, and a focal-length-to-be-announced tilt shift (30-ish mm maybe?) coming 2022-2023.

JeffK

is there an adapter to use the GFX 50s II with an ALPA12 frame and lenses or is it still better to find a used IQ250?

Steve Hendrix

is there an adapter to use the GFX 50s II with an ALPA12 frame and lenses or is it still better to find a used IQ250?

There is not (too limiting), so you're better off with a Phase One IQ 50mp, or a Hasselblad CFV/CFV-II (if focused on the 50mp sensor options).

Steve Hendrix/CI

ThdeDude

Without machining the body not enough flange distance for infinity focussing of short focal length lenses.

Steve Hendrix

the CFV-II could be an option if the live view is good. Seems like they only sell it with the 907 body in a kit.

Hi Jeff -

This is true, it only comes with the 907x slim body, but that is not a bad thing to have. I doubt they'll ever sell it separately, and if they did, it wouldn't cost that much less. I think the 907x slim body is a good option to have in your back pocket even if you don't think you'll use it.

Steve Hendrix/CI

darr

Hi Jeff -

This is true, it only comes with the 907x slim body, but that is not a bad thing to have. I doubt they'll ever sell it separately, and if they did, it wouldn't cost that much less. I think the 907x slim body is a good option to have in your back pocket even if you don't think you'll use it.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I agree! I bought the 907x for the back, but also bought a 45P lens just in case the occasion arises I want to use the 907x for walk-around shots. I mainly use the back with ALPA and in studio technical cameras, but the 907x makes it all the more versatile. I do wish I could own the new 50S II, but only after I sell off a bunch of gear that is collecting dust!

PSS

if someone is looking for the cheapest way to get to that slight increase in IQ (over FF) I would recommend a used X1D, AF is a pain with all cameras that use this sensor, but color and files are another step up over the fuji, (or at least different and I prefer it).
that little zoom is pretty cool, but no matter how good there is always some optical trade off and once you take that into consideration there is also the fact that no matter what, shooting fast and from the hip is difficult with these cameras, so a high end FF with a high end zoom might be the better solution and will probably get a much better hit ratio.