The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hasselblad XH 0.8 Lens Adapter

tcdeveau

Got an email today about a new XH adapter for the X1D/X1D II/907x.

According to Hasselblad marketing materials, reduces focal length of HC/HCD lenses by a factor of 0.8, improves max aperture by 2/3 of a stop, and increases contrast and sharpness. Same caveats regarding AF that apply with HC/HCD lenses and current XH adapter also appear to apply to this one.

Cost: $949 USD

more info:https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system...il&utm_term=0_16f5cb481a-b190a5afb3-349948921

bcambern

That's the first time I've ever heard of an adapter/converter actually increasing sharpness. Looking forward to hearing some test results...

edouard

Nice!

Could this then be used in conjunction with the "CF Lens Adapter for the H System" TO fit V lenses AND use their leaf shutter (the basic XV adapter only allows sensor e-shutter) ?
('would love to get a 66 f/2.2 from a Zeiss CF 80mm f/2.8)

I think I've asked ~same but for XH adaptor + "CF Lens Adapter" over hasselbladdigitalforum, 2 people said that it just does not work :cautious: (too bad as hasselblad doesn't provide a real/full XV adapter allowing shutter cocking/control, which is something that should not be impossibly complex to do, and they've already done it for the H system)

+ have you noticed
"Additionally, the X1D-50c must be updated with firmware 1.25.0 or later and the X1D II 50C, 907X 50C and 907X Special Edition cameras must all be updated with firmware 1.4.0 or later."

A typo or there will soon be a new firmware - 1.25.0 - for the X1D-50c (i) ? (Hasselblad only lists 1.24.0 as latest)

Reactions: med

elm

HB has finally realized that going back to the modular design, i.e. 907x 50c, they can open up their eco-system to tie their H, V and X systems together and allow their end users enjoy their legacy and wealth of lenses and accessories!

usm

A little bit off topic, but is it that the v lenses on the 907x are not using their leaf shutter?
I always thought that’s the reason fo create the 907x.

anyone

A little bit off topic, but is it that the v lenses on the 907x are not using their leaf shutter?
Electronic shutter only - I guess most people would just attach the back to their V-body instead, and use the 907x only for X-lenses.

tcdeveau

The 907x is talked about as if it's one entity, but the 907x consists of the 907x body (X-mount) and CFVII back. When using the 907x/CFVII combination, one has to use the existing XV adapter to adapt the V-lenses to the 907x body and use the electronic shutter of the CFVII back. The XV adapter is a "dumb" adapter that doesn't control the shutter in the V lenses, only allows for mounting of the lens to the body.

By mounting the CFVII back on a V-system body, you get use of the shutter in the V-lenses.

The novelty to me of the 907x (907x/CFVII) is that it is an updated CFV50 back (with electronic shutter, better live view, two card slots, and an integrated battery over the original CFV-50c) that can be used on tech cams and V-series bodies (with full use of V-system lenses and their shutters), and that also comes with a smart adapter that allows for the use of XCD lenses with the back (the 907x "body").

mristuccia

That's the first time I've ever heard of an adapter/converter actually increasing sharpness. Looking forward to hearing some test results...
A focal reducer will "compress" a wide projected image circle into a smaller one.
The results of the compression are
  • increased light (therefore the gain in f-stop)
  • Increased MTF (the lens circle of confusion becomes smaller, not sure whether this is the correct terminology)
  • Re-gain (almost) of the original lens FOV and DOF
Usually there also are negative effects, like more aberrations on the image corners, with a consequent loss in sharpness, and sometimes more distortion.

There are many focal lenses reducers already on the market. Many of them are used to adapt/compress FF lenses' projected image circle for, as ab example, APS-C sensors. An example is the Mitakon Lens Turbo II.
There are very few of them in the MF world as far as I know. Metabones makes an interesting (and pricey) focal reducer for adapting V lenses on Fuji GFX bodies that allows using the real FOV of the V lenses (almost), the real DOF and F-stops.
That's the only reason why I'm considering getting a GFX-50r instead of an X1D. I have a lot of V lenses...
Now it seems I'd have a kinda potential solution for the X1D as well... 😊

Last edited:

fjablo

Interesting! Looking at the MTF curves for the HC 80mm it seems the new adapter introduces more separation between sagittal and tangential curves - quite strongly actually towards the corners. If I remember correctly that's astigmatism? Would be interesting to see how that translates to real-world performance.

citizin

As someone with a great kit of H glass this is pretty intriguing concept. It's be fun to test out, but it's still not worth the switch over for me.