The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M10 Monochrom - first walk

Godfrey

Finally got out for a first walk with the M10 Monochrom today, and I have to say that I have no issues at all with it. It just works the way I want a camera to work. Although a bit on the pricey side, and I didn't really need another camera, I'm very glad I went for it.

So I'm jazzed, the camera works very nicely, and I'm taking my time to learn it. I did some analysis of the spectral sensitivity with unfiltered lenses, with orange and green filters too, and have been comparing the results against what I get with the CL and my usual B&W rendering start points. The M10-M with an orange filter in daylight is not very far off my usual color-capture -> B&W rendering starting point. That makes rendering the M10-M files very easy ... so far, I've done tests of about 20 shots that are all but done with about 15 seconds worth of effort each. Very pleasing! Photos posts soon... ;)

I know how right this camera is in that I stuck a strap on it, charged the battery, put in an SD card, and learned 3/4 of the configuration settings that suit me best within 10 minutes of my walk. I haven't felt so jazzed about a new camera in a while. I think it suits me. :D

onwards! G

Godfrey

Panda in Tree - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
ISO 250 @ f/2.8 @ 1/125
Orange filter

Window with Blinds - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 200 @ f/6.8 @ 1/125
Orange filter

Poppies - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/1600
Orange filter

I think it suits me nicely. :D

enjoy! G

tcdeveau

Congrats on the new toy! I picked one up to shoot with during the pandemic and it was a fun and fantastic camera to shoot with.

Paul Spinnler

I am honestly amazed what this little camera produces; in 2023 we will see the M11 monochrom with 60 MPX alongside the SL3. Paired with the apo optics and potential further re designs in the M line this system will rival 4x5 B&W in the palm of your hand. I suppose when you go back in time to say 1993 and you tell someone just photographing the rockies with his 4x5 and Tri-X that 30 years from now people will have cameras a fraction of the size of the large format setup, but with 0 marginal shooting costs infinitely better iso capabilities, live view, etc …. I suppose they say that you must be dreaming. This begs the question what 2053 will be like.

I would assume gigapixel resolution, endless memory, endless colour manipulations in real time, perfect emulations of the past, etc … interesting to see and think about!

Godfrey

Thanks all! The M10-M is really a delight for me ... Simple in the way that a Leica M is always simple, and the sensor is so easy to work with.

Yesterday I hunted up the filter sets for all my lenses: my standards for B&W film have always been an Orange and a Green. I have both for 46mm, Series VII, and 40.5mm; curiously I'm missing the Green in 39mm so that's now on the way here. That covers all my lenses' filter sizes. :)

I did some test exposures to see what the sensor's spectral sensitivity is compared to my CL's color capture with my usual B&W rendering LR presets. The M10-M fitted with an Orange filter proves fairly similar to my most-used-as-a-starting-point B&W preset, just a few differences. The next thing I'll do is fit a short roll in the M4-2 and do similar test exposures with HP5 (no filter, orange filter, green filter) to see how the M10-M compares to that as well.

And then there's lens testing... as I expected, the coded Leica lenses render much as they do with the CL and much as they did with the M-D 262, M-P typ 240, M9, and SL, and the longer focal lengths (M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135) show little difference as well. My non-Leica lenses in the normal to wide range are the somewhat more interesting cases ... Color-Skopar 50, Color-Skopar 28/3.5, new series Color-Skopar 21/3.5 v1, Pentax-L 43/1.9 Special, MS Optics Aporia 24/2, and Voigtländer HyperWide 10/5.6. One at a time, I'm exercising these on walks around the neighborhood to see what they do.

This photo was made yesterday with the Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5 fitted with an orange filter. You can see it shows a good bit of corner/edge fall off ... I can remove it all and it proves quite sharp all the way out at f/5.6, but I left it in on this photo.

The House Hidden Behind a Hedge - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5
ISO 160 @ f/5.6 @ 1/350

Orange filter

Lots to learn! :D

enjoy, G

spb

Staff member
Finally got out for a first walk with the M10 Monochrom today, and I have to say that I have no issues at all with it. It just works the way I want a camera to work. Although a bit on the pricey side, and I didn't really need another camera, I'm very glad I went for it.

So I'm jazzed, the camera works very nicely, and I'm taking my time to learn it. I did some analysis of the spectral sensitivity with unfiltered lenses, with orange and green filters too, and have been comparing the results against what I get with the CL and my usual B&W rendering start points. The M10-M with an orange filter in daylight is not very far off my usual color-capture -> B&W rendering starting point. That makes rendering the M10-M files very easy ... so far, I've done tests of about 20 shots that are all but done with about 15 seconds worth of effort each. Very pleasing! Photos posts soon... ;)

I know how right this camera is in that I stuck a strap on it, charged the battery, put in an SD card, and learned 3/4 of the configuration settings that suit me best within 10 minutes of my walk. I haven't felt so jazzed about a new camera in a while. I think it suits me. :D

onwards! G
Sounds like love at first sight. I feel the same with my M11 and 35 Summicron ASPH & 135 APO-Telyt.

Godfrey

Decorated Rocks - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 160 @ f/4 @ 1/60
Green filter

A few more ... Got a Visoflex 020 for using my long and macro stuff with the M10-M so these were testing shots. :D

Lily - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/90

Lenses and Such Stuff - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/90

Leaves in Wind - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Sigma 600/8 Mirror Tele
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/180
Orange filter

It's such a nice camera in use. :)
G

Last edited:

fmueller

Thanks all! The M10-M is really a delight for me ... Simple in the way that a Leica M is always simple, and the sensor is so easy to work with.

Yesterday I hunted up the filter sets for all my lenses: my standards for B&W film have always been an Orange and a Green. I have both for 46mm, Series VII, and 40.5mm; curiously I'm missing the Green in 39mm so that's now on the way here. That covers all my lenses' filter sizes. :)

I did some test exposures to see what the sensor's spectral sensitivity is compared to my CL's color capture with my usual B&W rendering LR presets. The M10-M fitted with an Orange filter proves fairly similar to my most-used-as-a-starting-point B&W preset, just a few differences. The next thing I'll do is fit a short roll in the M4-2 and do similar test exposures with HP5 (no filter, orange filter, green filter) to see how the M10-M compares to that as well.

And then there's lens testing... as I expected, the coded Leica lenses render much as they do with the CL and much as they did with the M-D 262, M-P typ 240, M9, and SL, and the longer focal lengths (M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135) show little difference as well. My non-Leica lenses in the normal to wide range are the somewhat more interesting cases ... Color-Skopar 50, Color-Skopar 28/3.5, new series Color-Skopar 21/3.5 v1, Pentax-L 43/1.9 Special, MS Optics Aporia 24/2, and Voigtländer HyperWide 10/5.6. One at a time, I'm exercising these on walks around the neighborhood to see what they do.

This photo was made yesterday with the Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5 fitted with an orange filter. You can see it shows a good bit of corner/edge fall off ... I can remove it all and it proves quite sharp all the way out at f/5.6, but I left it in on this photo.

The House Hidden Behind a Hedge - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 160 @ f/5.6 @ 1/350

Orange filter

Lots to learn! :D

enjoy, G
I think you have chosen wisely!

The M10M excels in low light. Do not be afraid to use high iso, really high iso… It’s not that it will be noise free, but the noise renders as grain might on classic B&W film. It’s delicious. I refer to my M10M as the camera that sees in the dark.

Godfrey

:)

One of the things that originally seemed counter productive to me when the Monochrom was first announced was that, since you really need to use optical filters just like you do with B&W film, the sensitivity advantage of the mono sensor was reduced. However, the M10-M sensor is *so* much more sensitive and holds together at astronomical ISO settings, fitting a deep orange or green filter (my standards) just isn't any trouble at all. The noise character and dynamic range at ISO 12,500 is so good it's like shooting at ISO 1600 with other cameras.

Lots more experiments to go... ;)

Two from yesterday:

A Spray of Ground Cover - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 type II
ISO 1600 @ f/11 @ 1/60
Orange filter

Leaf on Cracked Asphalt - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 type II
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/500
Orange filter

G

Godfrey

Yesterday's walk with the M-Rokkor 90mm f/4 (same as the Elmar-C 90mm f/4 ... early example built on the same production line):

Fences - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 + M-Rokkor 90mm + Green filter
ISO 160 @ f/4 @ 1/350

Closed Beauty School - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/125

Back Door Gate - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/6.8 @ 1/180

Chair on the Porch - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/180

Fence and Palm Tree - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 160 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250

Tending Apart - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 1600 @ f/9.5 @ 1/125

Official Vehicles Only - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 2500 @ f/6.8 @ 1/125

Un-Decorated Utility Box - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/16 @ 1/125

enjoy! G

Godfrey

I'm still testing out my lenses on the M10 Monochrom ... I don't use such a long lens very often, but I pulled out my mint example of a 1959-1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5 (M-mount version) and fitted it to the camera. I chose the "135mm f/4" lens profile, just to have 135mm listed in the EXIF, and did a little hand-held test shooting using only the rangefinder to focus.

Have to say, it's not sharp like a modern lens, but it's not too far off and produces very nice imaging qualities.

Sun Umbrella - Mountain View 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Hektor 135mm f/4.5
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/750

enjoy! G