The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to A7R3 need advice on connection problem

Egor

OK, so failure to launch testing the pixel shift option today

1. Downloaded the "Imaging Edge" software for Mac
2. Turned the camera to USB Connection to "PC Remote"
3. Checked operation and connection using CaptureOne v.11.1 all good 2 go
4. Quit C1v.11.1
5. Launched Imaging Edge Remote App to tested connected Sony A7R3
6. Imaging Edge Remote said "Not Connected, turn setting to PC Remote" (it was)

Fiddled with multiple settings for an hour or two and gave up.

Any suggestions?

Note: Camera works fine tethered to CaptureOne but funny thing, it doesn't list lens information, its like it doesn't know what lens is connected...Sony FE 90 Macro AF G OSS
Not sure why that is but don't know how to get that info across.

Seems to connect if I set to "Mass Storage" setting but then what to do with that I don't know. Otherwise, unless I launch C1 it just spins and spins saying "Connecting..." but never does

Attachments

Egor

OK, It works now I don't know what is in my operating system that was blocking it but when I moved over to a guest user it worked.

I tested on other computers in the studio and all is good, its just that particular mac and that particular user/admin

Egor

what's the point of using it instead of capture one only ?
Hi archivue, I am testing its "pixel-shift" feature capability.

C1 has no inline tools for this feature. I can capture the "pixel-shift" (4) images using C1, but then need a 3rd party program like Sony's Imaging Edge that knows how to combine the RGBG file set into a single true color file.

For workflow sake, I would prefer to do this all from one program (capture + integration of 4 files created), which Sony's software does do. It even has a feature that can output the final combined file as a new true-color .DNG for processing in C1.

This pixel shift process is familiar to me as I had the option on some previous cameras for art reproduction capture, sharper/crisper more accurate, and elimination of moiré in some circumstances (like canvas handbags).
It provides a true color file without interpolation and has some benefits in my studio work. Basically another tool at my disposal. We abandoned the technology years ago with Imacon, Sinar and Hasselblads due to the fact that it was clunky and took too long and the resultant files were only slightly better than what we could achieve with well calibrated MFD like Leaf and PhaseOne systems.

I will attach some tested examples done by Alex Koloskov (Photigy) to show some of the benefits achievable. (Look at the slider position in the attached, to the left is Sony pixel shift and right is either Fuji GFX or Sony single capture)

In the dollar bill test that is vs Fuji GFX and Hasselblad 120Macro. Sony Pixel-Shift non-interpolated image on left, GFX on right of slider. On the color accuracy test, Sony pixel-shift on left, Sony single pop regular capture on right of slider area.

The difference is striking! Once you know what to look for, it is like cleaning a shower curtain that you have been viewing thru all these years! :)

Attachments